African American Weddings

Possibly HM location change !

Because Im constantly looking for a way to save money for this wedding. Im thinking of changing our HM from Putna Cana to New Orleans. Ive always wanted to go to the the essences music festival and would love to see the french quarter. Im trying to see if its much of a difference if we go there or putna cana..I need my NO knotties to help me out.

With round trip air flight and hotel for 4 nights/5 days all inclusive to Putna Cana its around 1500 to 1600 plus 300 for passports

as of now its 800 for air flight, 460 for 3 nights, 2ppl hotel stay then whatever the cost for the music fest is.

If we go the NO route will save about  500 which can be spent on food and some shopping and then just go to PC for our 1 yr anny. 

What do you girls think ? Cha..Casey.
imageimage May2013 October Siggy:Honeymoon:Putna Cana http://1badwedding.weebly.com/

Re: Possibly HM location change !

• CreoleBride30CreoleBride30 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited August 2012
    <div>Well, now you know I will be partial to NOLA! Of course I think you should come to NO!! But it depends on what you want and your budget. I'm for going all out for my honeymoon...and what ever that means for you....do it. Of course, staying in the states would be cheaper as food cost is cheaper than any island. I highly suggest looking into reviews on Trip Advisor for both places. </div><div>
    </div><div>Now, for entertainment, you will MOST DEFINITELY have a wonderful time in NOLA for Essence. However, let me clearly state that hotels will be super expensive...there is a huge mark-up on hotels and a minimun stay required...especially if you are trying to stay in the FQ. Parking in the FQ (something most ppl don't factor in) can be upwards of $20-$40 per day...that right there will eat into your $500 savings. </div><div>
    </div><div>Case knows hotels to choose from that are really nice and may not eat into your budget and can also give you better insight on this. As well as the best food places that you can truly get some good Creole (and/or Cajun) food. </div><div>
    </div><div>If you are looking for friendly people, great food, a whole lot of fun (especially during Essence), and a culture like no other...I think you will have a wonderful time in NO for your honeymoon. Now, don't look for any nice beaches and blue water, we won't be able to accomodate ya! LOL!!!</div><div>
    </div><div>Cha</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_possibly-hm-location-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:06a53416-ed95-49f0-b410-b6481ba3b0a6Post:96edd979-6304-41fc-ab6b-4e8d69b8bd39">Possibly HM location change !</a>:
    [QUOTE]Because Im constantly looking for a way to save money for this wedding. Im thinking of changing our HM from Putna Cana to New Orleans. Ive always wanted to go to the the essences music festival and would love to see the french quarter. Im trying to see if its much of a difference if we go there or putna cana..I need my NO knotties to help me out. With round trip air flight and hotel for 4 nights/5 days all inclusive to Putna Cana its around 1500 to 1600 plus 300 for passports as of now its 800 for air flight, 460 for 3 nights, 2ppl hotel stay then whatever the cost for the music fest is. If we go the NO route will save about  500 which can be spent on food and some shopping and then just go to PC for our 1 yr anny.  What do you girls think ? Cha..Casey.
    Posted by msbdumas[/QUOTE]
    click here to view our Amazing Love wedding website Anniversary
  • M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited August 2012
    Cha summed it up nicely.

NOLA for Essence is quite pricey but such a good time. IMO its more of a couples or girls trip and less of a honeymoon. The markup on the hotels makes absolutely no sense. None. If you go to NO I would stay in Metairie or Kenner for budget hotels but then you'll need to drive to the Quarter and Convention Center for everything Essence related.And by the time you buy tickets to the concerts you'll be spending more to go to NOLA during that time than to Punta Cana.

Have you looked at other Caribbean destinations? PC is a bit more pricey than places like Bahamas or even Costa Rica but it is beautiful and secluded.
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_possibly-hm-location-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:06a53416-ed95-49f0-b410-b6481ba3b0a6Post:85695e95-b970-407c-9614-a88a8ff8c809">Re: Possibly HM location change !</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cha summed it up nicely. NOLA for Essence is quite pricey but such a good time. IMO its more of a couples or girls trip and less of a honeymoon. The markup on the hotels makes absolutely no sense. None. If you go to NO I would stay in Metairie or Kenner for budget hotels but then you'll need to drive to the Quarter and Convention Center for everything Essence related.And by the time you buy tickets to the concerts you'll be spending more to go to NOLA during that time than to Punta Cana. Have you looked at other Caribbean destinations? <strong>PC is a bit more pricey than places like Bahamas or even Costa Rica but it is beautiful and secluded.</strong>
    Posted by M1ssJ[/QUOTE]

<div>The hotels that I have looked at so far are in FQ and the cheapest we found was for 230 a night..thats where the 460 comes from. Metairie will cost about the same with getting a rental car and gas to drive around. So mine as well stay in the FQ. </div><div>
    </div><div>Actually it is cheaper to stay in PC then Costa Rica. I have went on several sites and its about a 150 to 200 differnece. So if we go we will still go to PC as everything is all inclusive. </div><div> Right now air flights are high because gas prices went up and its the holiday as I will be checking for them frequently. </div><div>
    </div><div>Also I suggested essences fest because we are getting married in May and it will give us little extra time to save for the honeymoon. </div><div>
    </div><div>I am definilty going to check into other islands tho. thanks </div><div>
    </div>
    imageimage May2013 October Siggy:Honeymoon:Putna Cana http://1badwedding.weebly.com/
  • Thank you Cha !
  • you welcome hun. Here's an idea go to PC or another island for honeymoon and come to NOLA for your 1st year anniversary. You will sure to have a great time. I definitely think NO has it's highlights of romantic spots. 
    click here to view our Amazing Love wedding website Anniversary
  • Hey Lady! I am partial to you coming to New Orleans. During Essence it is reallllly busy. Bae and I go to Essence every year and the hotels range from $199 and up per night the prices are always raised and some hotels make you pay in full in advance. 

We never stay in the FQ for Essence...It costs way too much. We usually stay at the Drury Inn on Poydras but next year we are staying at the Hyatt right across the street from the Superdome! If you let me know how much you would want to spend a night I can search some places for you.

Parking ranges from $35 to $50 a night. Now if you planning on going to the concerts every night the weekend passes range from $270/pp and up. By the time the weekend is over with concerts, food and hotel you are way under $1900. It depends on the feel that you are going for for your honeymoon. If you want something that will be quiet and romantic and have people cater to you...head to PC but if you don't mind crowds just head on our way and me and Bae will meet you out there!! We could help yall get away from tourist food....

Yep I am with Cha...don't look for any pretty beaches all we have is the muddy Mississippi!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_possibly-hm-location-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:06a53416-ed95-49f0-b410-b6481ba3b0a6Post:c2609510-6680-4b1b-95ed-fe3d32b4ac34">Re: Possibly HM location change !</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Possibly HM location change ! : The hotels that I have looked at so far are in FQ and the cheapest we found was for 230 a night..thats where the 460 comes from. Metairie will cost about the same with getting a rental car and gas to drive around. So mine as well stay in the FQ.  <strong>Actually it is cheaper to stay in PC then Costa Rica. I have went on several sites and its about a 150 to 200 differnece. So if we go we will still go to PC as everything is all inclusive</strong>.   Right now air flights are high because gas prices went up and its the holiday as I will be checking for them frequently.  Also I suggested essences fest because we are getting married in May and it will give us little extra time to save for the honeymoon.  I am definilty going to check into other islands tho. thanks 
    Posted by msbdumas[/QUOTE]

I see you're doing the all inclusive route. Ok. Have you  checked Groupon getaways ? They always have super cheap getaways to Caribbean places.

I dont know if you've been before but have you checked: Cancun, Bahamas? Cancun especially can be cheap
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • casey..We are still going to talk about it some more. I guess he is leaning towards PC still. I told him what yall said and seeing it will probabaly be about the same he said mine as well keep it like it is..so I guess PC it is.. so like you said we can go for a late anny which want be til whenever it is in 2014. So yes Casey ill keep you posted about it. M1ssj...yea we're going to do all inclusive girl..I need all the drinks I can get lol..thanks for the info.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards