Snarky Brides

WR: travel costs?

I asked the person who does my hair here to do my hair and my BMs hair (if they want to, of course) for my wedding.  She'll have to travel about an hour and a half.  She won't charge me for her travel costs, but her prices are already very low, and I can't fathom not giving her something for her travel. 

I haven't decided if I should attempt to give her money for her travel as cash, or a GC somewhere.  Any input on that?  Does it matter?  And, how much? 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.

Re: WR: travel costs?

• Maybe just a check for mileage?

And I'm kinda gifty so I'd get her a 25 dollar gift card to VS or something fun like that, as well.
    panther
  • pixiedust84pixiedust84 member
    First Comment
    edited September 2010
    Aww she sounds so nice? Can you just give her an extra big fat tip?

ETA: I mean "nice!" - I wasn't questioning her niceness :-)
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wr-travel-costs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3f801efc-7882-434f-b00b-4fd68f01243ePost:11c622b0-6d58-40be-9e10-2f71039c957d">Re: WR: travel costs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would have an awesome tip ready.  If she won't accept it, put that money towards a GC and send it to her with a nice thank card (after the wedding, when she doesn't expect it). 
    Posted by NatesGirl16[/QUOTE]

This is kind of what I was thinking.

Any suggestions on how much?  I don't really want to tip off her prices, because I feel they're too low as it is.  When she does my hair she tries to insist I don't tip her at all (we worked together for awhile and we're friends) but I usually tip her about 30% because her prices are so low and she goes out of her way to help me get appts scheduled (like calling me at work if she can't get me on her cell phone).

She's so nice, but I kind of feel like she's going to be difficult because I can't imagine not tipping her or paying her for travel, especially to take an entire day and drive 3 hours round trip for me.

• The going rate for travel here is $50-$75 for someone doing a group. That sounds fair to me, 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wr-travel-costs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3f801efc-7882-434f-b00b-4fd68f01243ePost:89beb41b-f684-4308-9683-471e97c1e81e">Re: WR: travel costs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The going rate for travel here is $50-$75 for someone doing a group. That sounds fair to me, 
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

That's around what I was thinking.  She'll never take that much.  I guess we'll have to write the check and tell her we don't have any extra checks to write for less so she'll just have to take it ;) 

Thanks ladies!

• It depends on her prices.  For instance, if she's charging $100/girl and you have 5 girls, I might give an extra $150-$200, but it depends on how much she's charging. 

Also, I've been in the situation where friends won't take money for whatever service they've done.  I would just say firmly, "I appreciate that you aren't charging for travel, and that is so sweet of you, but I'm definitely paying you for it.  I won't take no for an answer."  Sometimes, when you tell them you're going to do it anyway, they might just accept it.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wr-travel-costs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3f801efc-7882-434f-b00b-4fd68f01243ePost:30d04e88-b1c1-4c8d-aa91-459503cf10ce">Re: WR: travel costs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR: travel costs? : I'll refrain from telling you how much she's charging me per girl so that you don't die over the shock.  I can't imagine paying $200 for hair, jeepers.  Hooray for the midwest!
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]
    I know.  Everytime we get a quote, I can see the wheels turning in FI's head, calculating how much it would have cost back home in IN.

ETA: I will probably lie and not tell them it's my wedding, just so that they charge less :)
  • I'm paying about $250 for 5 hairstyles (2 short, 3 long), including travel. I'll tip her probably another $50-75. 

J&K, do you ever go to her house? My dad used to always try to give money to people when we stayed at their houses, but they would never take it, so he'd hide it somewhere. He'd put it in the sugar bowl, or in a medicine cabinet, or inside a coffee mug in the cabinet, basically anywhere they wouldn't look until we were gone. I think some people caught on because I once found $20 in our china cabinet. Anyway, maybe have someone leave some cash in her kit or her purse when she is not looking. She won't see it until she's gone, then she can't really give it back. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Sarah's idea is great--this way, she won't be able to refuse and will more than likely just accept it.  We did this for FI's parents when they came out to visit, since they took us out to dinner all the time and paid our admission to stuff all over NYC.  By the time we told them, they were already driving through Ohio, so it was too late. 
  • Oh, that's a good idea too!  She'll be welcome to attend as a guest if she wants as well, so I'd have ample opportunity to have someone stick some cash in her stuff.  Otherwise, if she won't accept it, I'll just go the thank you card with a GC route. 

• I do makeup for weddings, and I always give my friends a break on price, don't charge for travel, etc. and they ALWAYS pay me more. So far anyway. The ones so far have just handed my payment in an envelope and added the tip in there. Its more discreet that way I guess, not like you are making a big deal out of giving them a tip.
    Its a nice surprise when you are expecting X amount, and open it to find more. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wr-travel-costs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3f801efc-7882-434f-b00b-4fd68f01243ePost:23e52704-17b2-46c0-9688-19c35607cad1">Re: WR: travel costs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do makeup for weddings, and I always give my friends a break on price, don't charge for travel, etc. and they ALWAYS pay me more. So far anyway. The ones so far have just handed my payment in an envelope and added the tip in there. Its more discreet that way I guess, not like you are making a big deal out of giving them a tip. Its a nice surprise when you are expecting X amount, and open it to find more. :)
    Posted by staceytaylor0704[/QUOTE]

This is a good point too.  I'm probably overthinking it--I just really want to make sure she gets what I feel she deserves, you know?  She's awesome!

• I wrote thank you notes to our vendors and put their cash tips in there. Hopefully she won't open the envelope until she's in the car if you do that.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wr-travel-costs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3f801efc-7882-434f-b00b-4fd68f01243ePost:7930b93b-b5e9-47d1-82ec-766915c6c17c">Re: WR: travel costs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR: travel costs? : This is a good point too.  <strong>I'm probably overthinking it--I just really want to make sure she gets what I feel she deserves</strong>, you know?  She's awesome!
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]
    Maybe, but it's nice that you want to show your appreciation. It always feels good to be acknowledged for your work. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards