Registry and Gift Forum

Best dishes?

So we registered for a nice set of everyday china at BB&B...but somehow through 2 showers and the wedding we didn't receive a single place setting.  At first I thought it might have been because it was too pricey, but we received plenty of other items that were more expensive.

Anyways, I suppose that's really neither here nor there since either way dishes are something that are an absolute need for us at this point.  I still love the everyday china, but I don't know that we want to go drop $1000 to go out and buy enough sets at this point.  We're still considering just getting it, but I was curious if anyone else had any thoughts/suggestions about other brands/types of dishes that might not be as expensive but still nice quality.  Or should we just splurge for the everyday china?

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!
photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Best dishes?

• Did you not receive any money as wedding gifts? BB&B gift cards? Plus, there's the completion discount to consider. If you really want it, get it.
  • Mikasa makes some nice 45 piece sets (8 place settings). You can find them as low as $200. I've had this set for years:

I once knocked the included platter off our refrigerator - it didn't break after a 6-7ish foot fall. We decided to add to our existing collection rather than get a new pattern or even fine china.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_best-dishes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:f2a32b11-8159-4bb5-a9c0-9f361dd03ff6Post:e2b27037-8d57-4fea-80f4-a229d9778c1d">Re: Best dishes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did you not receive any money as wedding gifts? BB&B gift cards? Plus, there's the completion discount to consider. If you really want it, get it.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

<div>We did, but I'm just not sure I wanted spend that much on dishes since there's a lot of other things we also need.  We currently have remnants of a Corelle set that I was given, and I know I've dropped several of the dishes and had them shatter into about a million little shards.  This is partially why I'm contemplating springing for the bone china - the set we liked had a platinum band so it was kind of pricey, but now I'm thinking I might just pick out a set that doesn't have that because it's less expensive.</div><div>
    </div><div>Either way, we're going to be spending a fair amount of cash so I was just curious what other people's experiences have been with certain brand/types & if there is a certain one they'd recommend.</div>
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • When I'm looking to purchase something, I usually look online to find reviews.  Not sure what style your after.  But I consider this Mikasa set to be "everyday" and it has a ton of amazing reviews.  Awesome sale on it that ends today though. http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/mikasa-dinnerware-antique-white-collection?ID=97198&CategoryID=53629#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D663%26ruleId%3D52%26slotId%3D23

I would stay away from Martha Stewart though.  I got a pretty white set with the leaf embossed border and after a year, there are chips, and a couple of the plates even have cracks all the way through them.  We hand wash everything too.
  • Our fine china is "Parchment" by Mikasa and can be found in 8-place-setting sets as low as $200.  The accessories are going to run you up, though...it was definitely NOT what we expected to receive (from my parents as a shower gift).  My mom got a REALLY good deal through MIkasa's website that she was not able to beat by looking anywhere else, even with coupons.

Our casual china is a set that I had my eye on for YEARS at JCPenney (I know, 16 year old girls should be drooling over boys and lip gloss and not dinnerware they want for a wedding that won't take place until YEARS from now, but still, whatever!). It's called "Corvella" by Chris Madden and we got it in Ivory.  8 place settings (which you need 2 full boxes to get), a completer set, a REALLY cute tea service (I never got one of those nifty Fisher Price tea sets as a kid, so I was really girlie about this addition to my dinnerware) and a canister set.  Much more reasonably priced than most fine china.

I also agree with the poster who said to read reviews...I definitely relied on these for choosing my registry items, and especially for things like dinnerware which are expected to last for a good, LONG time. 
  • I've been eyeing this set from crate and barrel for every day dishes:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/dining-and-entertaining/dinnerware-sets/kiri-16-piece-dinnerware-set/s663908

It is bone china, but a 16-piece set is $229. Assuming that you want 8-12 settings, you could get these for $460-$690 total. Still a bit pricey, but less than the 1000+ you are looking at for the ones you registered for. 

If we end up getting them for ourselves, we wouldn't get the mugs (just dinner plate, salad plate, and bowl), so it would be $400 for 8 settings. 

• egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_best-dishes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:f2a32b11-8159-4bb5-a9c0-9f361dd03ff6Post:049c09ae-8d4a-48e7-979c-f8a274368130">Re: Best dishes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mikasa makes some nice 45 piece sets (8 place settings). You can find them as low as $200. I've had this set for years: <a href="http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/mikasa-dinnerware-italian-countryside-45-piece-set?ID=151702&CategoryID=53629" rel="nofollow">http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/mikasa-dinnerware-italian-countryside-45-piece-set?ID=151702&CategoryID=53629</a> I once knocked the included platter off our refrigerator - it didn't break after a 6-7ish foot fall. We decided to add to our existing collection rather than get a new pattern or even fine china.
    Posted by BethP937[/QUOTE]

<div>My mom got us this exact set for our e-party, and we love it. She got it when it was on sale and had a coupon, so it was less than 200. Mikasa also runs sales sometimes, so check their website as well if you're interested in any of their patterns. Definitely read online reviews, we were registered for Lenox Butler's Pantry first, but it has terrible reviews online, so switched to Italian Countryside. Dillard's and BB&B also have some pieces Macy's doesn't carry.</div>
  • gundy21gundy21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    We have the Mikasa Anissa set from Macy's - about $100 for a 4 setting set on sale at Macy's.  Love it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards