Massachusetts-Boston
Options

honeymoon - Maui or Oahu

Hi!
We are trying to decide to go to Maui or Oahu for the honeymoon.  I'm not sure if we'll be able to both islands.  We love the beach, but we would also liike to see a volcano, take a helicopter ride, and do a few activities.
Any suggestions?

Re: honeymoon - Maui or Oahu

• Options
    megandjaymegandjay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got back, and spoke to a lot of people there. If you have only one island to see, definitely choose Maui.

You could always book a day excursion to the Big Island to see a volcano. We used Colleen from simply honeymoons, if you use a travel agent, they could hook you up with those kind of excursions.

ETA: I have not been to Oahu, but I understand it is like a big city. You might try the Honeymoon board and hear from other folks that have been there...
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Maui for sure! I went with my friends a few years ago to both islands. We ziplined in Maui and did the helicopter. However, I thought the helicopter was a waste of $. Maui also has the Haleakala volcano. There is plenty to do and you can still enjoy the beautiful beaches!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been to both on regular vacations (not HM, per se) and I prefered Maui. Oahu is very urban, while Maui has more natural beauty.  I went when I was 18 and I like the helicopter ride, driving the road to Hana, Haleakala, the beaches... *sigh* Now I wish I was in Maui. :o)

If you do go to Oahu, I think the really only must-see thing there is the Pearl Harbor Memorial.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maui, Maui, Maui! I went to O'ahu, Maui and the Big Island for our HM in July and if I had to choose I would have just gone to Maui! I agree with pp, there is so much to do in Maui and it's clean, relaxing and totally romatic. Be sure to do the road to Hana, drive up or bike down Haleakala, seek out the beaches that aren't attached to resorts like Big Beach and eat at the road side stands.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just got back from Maui last weekend- it was amazing! I can't speak for Oahu but Maui was fabulous- we did parasailing, visited Iyo Valley, Lahiana town, a flower plantation, tour of the stars at the Hyatt, and a luao. Needless to say, plenty of activities! The volcano there is inactive though, I believe. Highly recommend our hotel, Sheraton Maui Resort and Spa.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to Oahu and Maui when I was about 12... so keep that in mind.. but my family and I did not really enjoy Oahu. The only things worth seeing were the Pearl Harbor memorial and the Polynesian cultural center. Other than that it was crowded and very urban. It really wasn't the least bit romantic. Maui was GORGEOUS though. We loved it!

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_honeymoon-maui-oahu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:89Discussion:18941552-526a-461a-aa5e-ea2351c6006aPost:477c27a1-17da-4e2b-84e7-b32ae6867652">Re: honeymoon - Maui or Oahu</a>:
    [QUOTE] eat at the road side stands.
    Posted by jonnysbride2010[/QUOTE]

I pretty much lived on plate lunches and shaved ice when we went. lol 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ohhhh Aloha Mixed Plate is probably my favorite restaurant ever :) Another Maui find! Shave ice = amazingness...
  • Options
    ebigelowebigelow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely Maui!!  We were in both for our honeymoon and we were thankful we only spent 1 night in oahu...it was nice to see, but it kind of felt like were in miami or something!  Maui is gorgeous and there is so much to see and do...and you can relax at the beach if you want to too!  Definitely do the road to hana and make sure you go past hana to the seven pools...we also loved our snorkel trip to molokini and turtle town...the feast at lele luau...and haleakala!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards