Connecticut
Options

suit colors

who would have thought my dad would put up the biggest fight when it came to his outfit! lol  i had planned on all the guys, fiance, groomsmen, and dads wearing the same color suit.  its grey and they ordered it from mens wearhouse.  my dad now wants to wear a black or darker suit he thinks that he should get to pick out his outfit since the mothers do.  what do you all think?  are your fathers wearing different color suits?  is he actually right!? 

Re: suit colors

• Options
    My father and FFIL are allowed to wear anything they'd like (except, you know, sweatpants. haha). My dad asked me what my FI was wearing so he could try to match (tux vs suit, color, etc) but I don't think he plans on wearing the exact same thing. I think it's sort of good to have the dads wearing a different color- it shows that they're not part of the grooms men, but someone else who's special. 
  • Options
    I'd let him pick.  If it's important to him to choose, let him do it.  Plus, it'll make him stand apart from the groomsmen. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_suit-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:0b564587-539a-4fa9-86bf-6ccadba6ce05Post:6f8df39f-e0bc-4082-8655-e74f8b4f07e6">suit colors</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>who would have thought my dad would put up the biggest fight when it came to his outfit!</strong> lol  i had planned on all the guys, fiance, groomsmen, and dads wearing the same color suit.  its grey and they ordered it from mens wearhouse.  my dad now wants to wear a black or darker suit he thinks that he should get to pick out his outfit since the mothers do.  what do you all think?  are your fathers wearing different color suits?  is he actually right!? 
    Posted by reckert7[/QUOTE]

So funny, my dad did the same thing. I think it's kind of cute that my 65-year old father is concerned that he won't look stylish enough :) I told my dad and FI's dad that they could wear what they want (within reason). Luckily, they both agree with the tuxes that FI picked out for himself and his groomsmen. My dad was adamant about not wearing tails, but FI doesn't like tails anyways. They are all wearing a basic black tux with cream vest, and black tie. The only difference is that my dad wants to wear a bow tie (which I think is adorable. lol). The rest of our groomsmen will wear regular ties in black...and FI will wear a regular tie in a white/cream color...to set himself apart from the others.

I don't think it looks strange to have the father of the bride/groom in slightly different attire than the groomsmen...even if it's a different color, I still think that's ok. As long as it is as formal as the guys' attire, so your dad doesn't look over/under dressed. The other reason that I'm not telling my parents what to wear is the fact that they are contributing some of the cost of the wedding...I would keep that in mind, if your parents are contributing, you may want to be more lenient than you usually would be. I've had to make a few compromises with my mom becuase she's contributing some of the cost...in the end, I want her to feel like it was money well spent :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards