Moms and Maids

Personal Gifts for Parents

I want to get my parents a really personal and special gift for our wedding- something better than I would get them for Christmas or a birthday.  I have some good ideas, like having an artist do a charcoal drawing of their wedding portrait or putting together a book of family pictures with a theme.  For example have each page say love is...baking homemade cookies (with a picture of my sister and I as little kids covered in flour), and then including a letter at the end thanking them for teaching me how to love, so I would know it when I found the right guy. 

The problem is that I want to do something equally nice for the MOG and FOG.  Since they are divorced, the picture idea would not work, and DF has NO pictures of himself or his family growing up.  I don't like the idea of giving them a picture of us, because it seems kind of conceited to me.   Also, DF is not as close to his parents, so if left up to him they would probably each get a serving bowl or something.  I would feel really lame giving my parents something so personal and then giving his parents a bowl.  Any thoughts?

Re: Personal Gifts for Parents

• edited December 2011
    Each relationship is different, and you can't look at them and try to make them equal.  You are talking apples and oranges here.  You are comfortable with the closeness of your family and know that they would appreciate the emotion of the gift.  That is wonderful for you and your family, but not all of them are like that.  It is his family, and you need to get him involved in the decision and go with his instinct.  If you give them a photo, you could buy a beautiful frame and have it engraved.  Just please don't try to manufacture something for him that is not there.  That could be REALLY uncomfortable!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's fine to have your gifts more individualized. We decided on digital frames for all of our parents, so we could give them all of our e-pics and wedding pictures and we thought with the frames they'd get more use and enjoyment out of them than an album. I also wanted to get something individual for MOB, FOB, Step-MOB, and MOG, so on etsy I found a seller who embroiders beautiful handkerchiefs, so I had that done with individualized messages for each. The frames we will give out at the rehearsal dinner, and the handkerchiefs I am going to take each one aside individually the day of the wedding to give to them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards