November 2012 Weddings

Have you sent invites out yet?

Just curious. We just booked our venue (we had to change venues because the original one had horrible service and never responded) and now that we have a date and time set we're looking at invites and I was wondering if any of you ladies have sent yours yet? Or when do you plan on sending them if you haven't yet?

Re: Have you sent invites out yet?

• lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    No.  You're not supposed to send invitations out until about 8 weeks before your wedding.  We're planning on sending ours out around September 2nd.
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • We sent the STDs (maybe that's what you mean), but not inviations. Those go out 6-8 weeks before the wedding date.
  • kfraskfras member
    First Comment
    Agreed. We just sent our save the dates end of March, won't be sending invitations until the end of September.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree, now is way too early to send out invites, but you can do save the dates now. We have a lot of rooms we have to book, so we put that info on our website and we're telling people to go there to start making their plans. The earliest you want to send them out would be 3 months before. I have a goal to have mine out by mid august, but that's one of my busiest months for work, so I probably won't get them out until early September.
    imageNovember Board Siggy - The Venue!
    Photobucket
    The Great Hall at Sunriver Resort, Sunriver, Oregon
    243 Invited image
    172 Can't wait image
    71 Are missing out image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We sent save the dates at the end of March, and will most likely send invites around the first week of September.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited April 2012
    Oh I haven't sent any invites out (lol we just started looking at them) but I did send out save the dates lol.

ETA: Although since I'm having a vegas wedding and most people would have to fly across the country (and a few from outside of the country) to be there wouldn't it be smarter to send them a little earlier than 8 weeks? I need to double check if there are any big conferences or events happening around my date because if there are then I'm pretty sure I'd need to get them out earlier than 8 weeks before because rooms on the strip get booked fast in Vegas when there is something big going on.

But like I said, I have to check first.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_have-you-sent-invites-out-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:19482163-4faa-43ea-a58d-639b1d081db7Post:3aab7345-e1ad-4239-b184-f12f7f57174d">Re: Have you sent invites out yet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh I haven't sent any invites out (lol we just started looking at them) but I did send out save the dates lol. ETA: <strong>Although since I'm having a vegas wedding and most people would have to fly across the country (and a few from outside of the country) to be there wouldn't it be smarter to send them a little earlier than 8 weeks?</strong> I need to double check if there are any big conferences or events happening around my date because if there are then I'm pretty sure I'd need to get them out earlier than 8 weeks before because rooms on the strip get booked fast in Vegas when there is something big going on. But like I said, I have to check first.
    Posted by petitmonstree[/QUOTE]

If you sent STDs you shouldn't have to send invites sooner than 8 weeks. Those who are planners most likely already starting thinking about the trip, etc.
    If you have a website, you can post info their encouraging folks to book early.
  • I think you can send invites as early as the three month mark, but I wouldn't send them any earlier than that.
    Like amymaysa said, if you have a website, put all the info on your website, and guests can go from there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are going to send out Save the Dates mid June and then invites first week of september
  • Hmmm. I thought I had read 3-4 months in advance was fine. We're sending ours out at the end of July since lots of people are making cross country trips.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_have-you-sent-invites-out-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:19482163-4faa-43ea-a58d-639b1d081db7Post:f80529c8-858a-4308-8dd3-184b26aeaa1d">Re: Have you sent invites out yet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmmm. I thought I had read 3-4 months in advance was fine. We're sending ours out at the end of July since lots of people are making cross country trips.
    Posted by itsobviouslyhil[/QUOTE]

Did you send Save the Dates? 3-4 months is way too early.
  • edited April 2012
    We did. We sent them out in March. I wish I could remember where I read 3-4 months...

We're not huge sticklers for strict etiquette anyway; nothing has been formal thus far and it would be silly to worry about semantics at this point. Plus our wedding is only around 60 people, so I'm not really worried about it.

ETA- I didn't find where it said 3-4 months, but The Knot's checklist says 3 months, so...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_have-you-sent-invites-out-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:19482163-4faa-43ea-a58d-639b1d081db7Post:81fca20e-bc04-44ee-bd93-3890718b8569">Re: Have you sent invites out yet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did. We sent them out in March. I wish I could remember where I read 3-4 months... We're not huge sticklers for strict etiquette anyway; nothing has been formal thus far and it would be silly to worry about semantics at this point. Plus our wedding is only around 60 people, so I'm not really worried about it. ETA-  I didn't find where it said 3-4 months, <strong>but The Knot's checklist says 3 months, so...</strong>
    Posted by itsobviouslyhil[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm not sure I would base anything off of TK's checklist.  It doesn't seem to be very accurate.</div>
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • To each her own, I suppose :) I've found it to be very helpful and pretty spot-on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just ordered my save the date cards :
  • Agree with PP's. Save the Date's went out last week, invitations in Sept.
  • In Response to Have you sent invites out yet?:
    It depends, if you are having a destination wedding. invitations to a destination wedding should be sent out 6-7 months ahead, in order for your guests to make their travel plans.
    if having a traditional "home" wedding then yes 8 weeks.
  • we are not sending out STD's so with that in mind.....I think 3 months pre wedding is perfect  and what FI and I plan to do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just sent save the dates this weekend.  I won't be sending invitations until September. But I think you could send them a little earlier if you feel you need to. I wouln't send them now though, for fear guests might misplace them and lose the info.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I am planning on sending mine out in July.  We are having a small wedding(capping it at 25 guests) and a a good chunk of the 25 have to travel.  We are also having a Sunday evening wedding, so they will need to be able to take Monday off of work.  

I want to be considerate to my guests(i am not sending out save the dates- most all know by word that they are invited) but also, I want to know earlier then later if someone is not coming- so we can fill the space(most of our 25 is family and then when we find out who says no, we will throw in a few more friends).

I really think that in this day and age- do what makes YOU happy. No need to do exactly as evreyone else just because they do(are we lemmings here?)

as long as you are smiling-all is good!Sealed
  • We'll probably start sending them out in August, definitely to those who don't live close.  That way too we'll see ho wmany no-shows we have and then mid Sept-late Sept we can hand out more invites if need be
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • I just sent out the save the dates yesterday and plan on sending invites early September

We got married 11/3/12!!

• I agree...most people say about 8 weeks is fine...I have also heard 3 months prior is fine but no earlier than that.  We'll be sending ours around the 3 months mark or so.  Say mid August, requesting to have them back early Sept.  You'll always have to call and follow up with people who don't return invites so I want plenty of time to deal with that annoyance.  Then I'll send out extras in September to co-workers and whatnot
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • No haven't sent them out yet, not even designed yet.  I'm sending mine out Sept 1. 3-4 months is way too early. Anything can change in that time frame for your guests.
    image180 Made the cut!
    image 129 Ready to drop it like its HOT!
    image 7 Found something else to do
    image 44 Are just plain RUDE!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest November 2012 - October Siggy Challenge image
  • Hello - have not ordered our invitations yet but have selected them (online). Hope to order them in the next month or so, with plans to send them 7-8 weeks from the wedding date.

We sent our Save the Dates last week...heard back from a few people who are looking already forward to it : ) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The reason most people advise against sending your invitations too early is because s**t happens and invites get lost, and then you have people calling all the time asking where the ceremony is, or what time, or where the reception is, and so on, so forth. If you send STD's. it gives people the information they need to make possible travel arrangements. They only need the date and the city. It's helpful to have a wedding website, but not necessary.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards