Getting in Shape

Work out Accountability Thursday

Morning!

Last night FI and I went for a run, his first time since he got out of the  hospital 2 weeks ago
I am WAY behind him in C25K but we made sure to stay close on the trail just in case. Unfortunately we think it still may be too soon for him to run as he had super low sugar levels when we got home but he is determined to keep adding in physical activity.
Tonight I am running again but FI is going to sit it out.

Happy Thursday all!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Work out Accountability Thursday

• Mornin! Souptin, at least he felt well enough to be able to attempt the run, that in itself sounds like a good thing. Hope he continues to show improvement. We did back yesterday, Tris and cardio this morning followed by C25K. Leaving the gym this morning a lady told me I had lost a lot of weight since she started and asked what I was doing extra. I didn't really recognize her though so not sure how long she's been coming to class. It was nice though because I'm slowly making my way back in after those two weeks off. Also, steel cut oats are changing my life. So good.
  • This whole not working out thing is killing me!  I mean, I am still sore but I definitely am bummed that I wont be as toned for the wedding/honeymoon.  The doctor said to give it a week or so and see if I am okay enough to do light exercise.  Tomorrow will be the one week point :)  I'm still sore so I'll probably just try and do more walks this weekend and then next week move from walking to jogging with some light lifting.  I'm still not eating that great and not super hungry.  Fun times.
  • Ibarr I must have missed something, are you ok?

Zero,Congrats on the compliment! from a stranger no less must mean you really have have lost!    TY for the comment about FI  it is good progress, we have a doctors appointment tonight so we are going to ask how to keep his activity up without hurting his body further.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lbarr - sorry you're bummed :( that sucks you can't really work out. I'm sure you look beautiful anyways!

I feel like I'm getting sick! ugh! My throat was sore last night. So I slept in this morning instead of working out. I really don't want to be sick for the wedding it's only 9 days away! I started taking some zicam too. I have my final fitting tonight!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Souptin - I had surgery on Friday to remove a cyst, so I'm down for the count for a bit in the work out world. The good news is that hopefully my abdominal pain will be nonexistent!
  • It's so cool to get a compliment from a stranger. It's nice to know that others are noticing our progress, especially when we don't.

Sounds like FI is on the mend, Souptin. Even wanting to attempt a run is a good thing. His new lifestyle is going to take some getting used to for both of you, but it sounds like you're both taking it in stride.

lbarr, you'll get there. Even if you're not really hungry, nibble on something, and stay hydrated. Walking still counts!

As for me...

I didn't start out with a workout this morning, I had a meeting at school to find out what I'm going to be teaching this year. I was hired to teach basic English/other, and I was told it would likely be Enterprise and Nutrition. When I got my contract, it said IRT/English/Other. I asked the school board about it and they said subjects could change and contracts were written that way to make it easier. I get there this morning and find out that I'm ALL IRT.

I'm disgusted. This is so not what I signed up for.

Damp, chilly day here, so I'm not sure what we'll get done outside. Good day to get dd organized for school and take out some frustrations on my elliptical. Too bad I'm not taking kickboxing anymore!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Had a rough morning, took all my willpower not to eat brownies for breakfast ;)  Thanks to the ladies to responded to my situation, it's crappy but we'll get through it somehow.  My self esteem is pretty darn low right now and I don't know if it's because I'm not getting the exercise I was, but I have almost no energy. Today I've already cleaned up a few pet messes in the house (major ew) although one wasn't her fault, the kitten got fixed and in our opinion they didn't do a good job, so a few days and a nasty infection later she went back in, and she's totally bandaged up around her tummy which for some reason throws off her ability to walk o.O poor thing can't eat on her own let alone use the litter box >.<  that was... not fun ;)  Going to try to get in at least a tiny workout today, stress is really getting to me.  I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and try on my MOH dress again, see if it fits any better or if I need to find something else that we can't afford ;p
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm still fighting a sinus infection and didn't work out last night or this morning. I'm going to do some stretches this evening but I can't muster more than that yet!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Geeze, as a group we sound pretty banged up!  I hope everyone gets on the mend quickly, I'm sending out good thoughts for everyone!

Yesterday I continued my bad eating (too much rich foods!) and relatively little exercise.  Did some pilates but that's it.  So since today is about the 2 week mark of being lazy (apart from Warrior Dash, which I'm going to try to post a picture of soon) I decided enough was enough.  I did a 4 mile run this morning and am about to do some pilates.  I have an afternoon date with my sister to do about a 3 mile walk.  So hopefully today is Day 1 back on the healthy bandwagon!

Good luck to everyone today!! :)
  • Jenny - what's IRT? Sorry to hear that you aren't getting to teach what you thought you'd get to :( that's gotta be frustrating this close to the year's start!

I have been so busy with packing/preparing for the move that I haven't gotten in any exercise. Doesn't help that we just picked all of the apples off of my in laws' apple tree and now have to peel & freeze them all for the winter! Mmmm apple pie...

Trying to keep eating on track. Made apple crisp last night at the request of FFIL and had to eat some myself of course! I'm hoping that once my semester starts up and I'm all moved to the new city that I can get back into a normal routine for exercise & eating right.

Have a good day everyone!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hey sarah! What's your trick for freezing apples? Do you soak them in something first or just chop and into the freezer? We have an apple farm right around the corner and I plan on invading and stocking up myself ;)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • CryssteenCryssteen member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Hey guys.  I started with a personal trainer this week.  In the past it's been the only thing that's really kept me motivated and accountable. (I know, I know, I really shouldn't NEED someone to tell me to be at the gym at 6 to make me go... but I it's a flaw.....)   I budgeted the trainer into my wedding by skimming some other things.  For me, it's more important to feel and look great on my wedding day - and thereafter - than to have some of the other things that most people want at the wedding.  It's also probably the only time in my life I'll be able to "justify" dishing out the cash for something like this.  Let's make it stick!

Anyway.  I'm hoping to drop 2 sizes by April.  Pounds are lese important to me. I'm working at around 1300 cals a day.  Trying to keep fat down and protein up.  So, here's what I've done so far:

Tuesday: 
    -25 mins of cardio as a baseline measure of my abilities, with the trainer\
    -45 mins strength and resistance training with trainer which included squats, crunches, light weights, resistance bands, etc.

Wednesday (not a scheduled trainer day):
    -35 mins walk/run on the tread mile 

Thurday:
    -30 mins light cardio warm-up
    -45 min cross-fit type circuit training with trainer

You guys really are inspirational.  It's really important to me and it helps having so many other strong-willed women working towards similar goals.   We will all be beautiful brides, regardless, but with this support, we'll FEEL amazing too!

Best of luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_work-out-accountability-thursday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:8a6351a8-a816-4fa4-bb0b-1f708dfce8edPost:5ff55b82-3dd1-44a1-aeea-cee7c31ac731">Re: Work out Accountability Thursday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jenny - <strong>what's IRT?</strong> Sorry to hear that you aren't getting to teach what you thought you'd get to :( that's gotta be frustrating this close to the year's start! I have been so busy with packing/preparing for the move that I haven't gotten in any exercise. Doesn't help that we just picked all of the apples off of my in laws' apple tree and now have to peel & freeze them all for the winter! Mmmm apple pie... Trying to keep eating on track. Made apple crisp last night at the request of FFIL and had to eat some myself of course! I'm hoping that once my semester starts up and I'm all moved to the new city that I can get back into a normal routine for exercise & eating right. Have a good day everyone!
    Posted by Sarah5200[/QUOTE]

Instructional Resource Teacher. Basically, our provincel switched to inclusive education, meaning that ALL students stay in the classroom regardless of educational needs/backgrounds and the department of education implemented IRTs. So I've gone from having my own class to being a 'second' teacher in other people's classrooms, walking around and helping students during someone else's lessons.

I'm one of those maniacs who WANTED a desk piled high with essays to grade...

Apple crisp sounds yummy! You'll get back into the routine once you're settled back into semester Sarah. Plus, I'm pretty sure there are halfway healthy recipes for apple crisp/pie out there. I usually switch out sugar for sweetner and try to use ww flour (or half and half. FI doesn't like ww, but I sneak it in wherever I can!)

The start of the school year always means routines falling into place again.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The past few days have been so hectic.  Now that school is starting, I've been so busy.  The last 2 nights I didn't get home until 10pm (having left for work at 7am), but I still managed to fit in zumba for the past 2 nights before bed.  Today I finally got to sleep in, but I'm still totally exhausted!  I really didn't feel like working out, but I did anyway. I  did the Bridalicious Boot Camp.

I've finally gotten used to working out everyday and get discouraged when I can't, which is one of the reasons I pushed myself today.  The other is that I know I'm not going to be able to work out tomorrow.  I found out I have Celiacs and tomorrow is my endoscopy.  The doctor said I'll be sleeping most of tomorrow and really drowsy once I wake up.  I'm really nervous.

Good luck with your workouts!
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_work-out-accountability-thursday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:8a6351a8-a816-4fa4-bb0b-1f708dfce8edPost:310f1ba1-f6ed-4e14-8b92-943168e79814">Re: Work out Accountability Thursday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Work out Accountability Thursday : Instructional Resource Teacher. Basically, our provincel switched to inclusive education, meaning that ALL students stay in the classroom regardless of educational needs/backgrounds and the department of education implemented IRTs. So I've gone from having my own class to being a 'second' teacher in other people's classrooms, walking around and helping students during someone else's lessons. I'm one of those maniacs who WANTED a desk piled high with essays to grade... Apple crisp sounds yummy! You'll get back into the routine once you're settled back into semester Sarah. Plus, I'm pretty sure there are halfway healthy recipes for apple crisp/pie out there. I usually switch out sugar for sweetner and try to use ww flour (or half and half. FI doesn't like ww, but I sneak it in wherever I can!) The start of the school year always means routines falling into place again.
    Posted by jennylee813[/QUOTE]

Interesting stuff. I'm working on my BEd with a minor in Special Education, I have wondered how things may change with inclusive education. To me the prospect of trying to ensure everyone in the classroom is learning when you may have so many students with different needs is overwhelming! My mom just about had a girl in her class this year (grade one) with a mental age of 23 months, she is an experienced teacher and she was quite stressed about what she'd do to make sure this girl learns everything she's supposed to. It is too bad that you're the 'second' teacher now, guess you can just try to play the glad game? :(

As for freezing apples, I just chop em up using an <a href="http://www.norpro.com/store/category/apple-machines" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">apple machine</a>, makes things infinitely faster, and then pop them into lemon water while I accumulate enough for a large ziploc. Once I have them I pull them out of the water and just shove them in the ziploc and freeze them flat so that they are easier to store in the freezer and defrost later! You can definiteyl make pies and crisps healthier too. We used quinoa flour in ours yesterday instead of regular, limited the sugar, etc. GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_work-out-accountability-thursday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:8a6351a8-a816-4fa4-bb0b-1f708dfce8edPost:e79faa7c-fb2f-4b81-bf83-7e87700fb733">Re: Work out Accountability Thursday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Work out Accountability Thursday : Interesting stuff. I'm working on my BEd with a minor in Special Education, <strong>I have wondered how things may change with inclusive education. To me the prospect of trying to ensure everyone in the classroom is learning when you may have so many students with different needs is overwhelming! My mom just about had a girl in her class this year (grade one) with a mental age of 23 months, she is an experienced teacher and she was quite stressed about what she'd do to make sure this girl learns everything she's supposed to.</strong> It is too bad that you're the 'second' teacher now, guess you can just try to play the glad game? :( As for freezing apples, I just chop em up using an apple machine , makes things infinitely faster, and then pop them into lemon water while I accumulate enough for a large ziploc. Once I have them I pull them out of the water and just shove them in the ziploc and freeze them flat so that they are easier to store in the freezer and defrost later! You can definiteyl make pies and crisps healthier too. We used quinoa flour in ours yesterday instead of regular, limited the sugar, etc. GL!
    Posted by Sarah5200[/QUOTE]

This is exactly the issue, Sarah. The inclusive model is great in theory, but the reality is much less so. There aren't enough teachers to have two in each class all day, every day. Often the teachers aren't specifically trained to deal with special needs - outside of some PD that is. The student with the exceptionality may or may not get the attention they need, and sometimes the other students lose out as well.

It's supposed to teach students tolerance and acceptance, but in a lot of cases it serves as a great distraction. I subbed in a class last year before I got my contract at the college and there was a girl there with the mental age of a two year old (this is an elementary classroom). She spent her time running out of the classroom and down the hall, stealing other kids pencils while they were trying to use them, <strong>and putting thumbtacks in her mouth</strong>. The other kids would take turns chasing her down the hall or sitting with her and colouring so she would be quiet and still. While that's nice of them to do, aren't they losing out on their own class time???

I guess I'm more upset about the fact that in June they asked me if I wanted this job or the other one, and I specifically told them that I wanted the other one. I don't feel like a 'real' teacher, and feel very ill-equipped for this position.

And instead of cardio when I came home, I took a nap.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • a6a14173a6a14173 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I feel your pain, guys.  I've worked in the public system here in both inclusive classrooms and in a district program for children with autism.  I understand the benefits to inclusion, and in theory it's great, but with the lack of training, resources and support, it'simpossible to meet the needs of all in the classroom.  In our district, it even depends on the mix that you have in the class whether or not you get an aide. You can have tons of kids on individual plans and no support (not even much resource teacher support if you're in some schools with odd caseloads.)  The district program was amazing, although if was really segregated from teh rest of the school community.  I actually felt like I was making a big difference in the kids' lives.

As for exercise, today was a pretty good day. I ran for 30 mins, lifted weighs for about 20 and then took the dog for a walk for 1  1/2 hrs.   Woot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sounds like a great day a6a!

I'm in a funk, but tomorrow is another day. Thanks for the cheer!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards