Wedding Invitations & Paper

Wishing well and not gifts!

We are having a big wedding and we have everything we need. We decided that we want to do a wishing well instead of gifts and not sure how we put this info on the invitations. Some people don't even know what the wishing well is. How do I put this into words for the invitations so that everyon e knows that a wishing well is for money to help the new couple get started or to help send them on their honeymoon? Any Suggestions?

Re: Wishing well and not gifts!

• You don't.  You don't ask for gifts, you don't ask for money.  You can have a wishing well or card box at the reception, but you dont' mention it, you don't point it out in the middle of your speech.  If people want to give you money, they will.  If people want to give you gifts, they will.  Which btw - if you don't register for SOME stuff (consider upgrading or something), you risk getting the crazy pot holders from Aunt Betty.

Your guests are not required to bring you gifts, and etiquette wise... you don't get to ask for them in any way, shape, or form.

As my preschooler says "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit!"

• You cannot demand what kind of gifts people give you. Some prefer to give boxed gifts because they see them as more personal.

Either don't register or do a small registry of upgrades. Be gracious and send prompt thank yous for whatever you get.

You cannot mention anything about gifts anywhere on the invitation or in the invitation envelope, but if someone asks it is perfectly fine to say, "Oh, we really don't need anything. We'd just love for you to come celebrate. What's that? You insist? Well, we have a very small registry at Crate and Barrel, but we're also saving up for a honeymoon/new car/downpayment on a house/renovations."
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_wishing-well-not-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:56590659-994f-470d-8828-03c4827ddb1bPost:df0b1ecd-b162-460f-a1e8-a2374c28e6b3">Wishing well and not gifts!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having a big wedding and we have everything we need. We decided that we want to do a wishing well instead of gifts and not sure how we put this info on the invitations. Some people don't even know what the wishing well is. How do I put this into words for the invitations so that everyon e knows that a wishing well is for money to help the new couple get started or to help send them on their honeymoon? Any Suggestions?
    Posted by katelin8[/QUOTE]
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Just as an FYI to everyone, I'm not sure if this person is real or just trying to cause drama. This post is on our Month board, her local, and the registering board.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_wishing-well-not-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:56590659-994f-470d-8828-03c4827ddb1bPost:cfb94005-b63f-4ad0-8cd6-e054184213a8">Re: Wishing well and not gifts!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just as an FYI to everyone, I'm not sure if this person is real or just trying to cause drama. This post is on our Month board, her local, and the registering board.
    Posted by Mrs.B.Rad[/QUOTE]

Probably going on multiple boards in search of someone who'll tell her it's not rude.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • If it's not real, someone's been sitting on a fake account for 11 months. 
    murrayed
  • I believe someone else posed that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results...
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards