July 2013 Weddings

Afraid to pull the trigger

So this is sort of a "waah-wah-waaaaah" thread, but I'd love some encouragement and a big push.

1) Cake. Let me start by saying we are not big cake people, so this little "check" is not high on our priority list. Anyway, so we met with one cake baker who was really friendly and we decided on a flavor (which was AMAZING, omg you have no idea.) and she could make the cake we wanted for a very reasonable price.

But, it's still a fairly large price tag ($500) AND since we're planning on doing cake + dessert from the caterer, it's going to end up being a little more than that. So I feel like we haven't pulled the trigger yet because do we REALLY need a cake? It's $500! But, at the same time, the design of the cake is friggin amazing and we like the tradition of cutting the cake and we want everyone to experience the amazingness of the flavor.

I feel guilty because she sent the contract like a month ago and we have yet to sign it or respond to it... lol. 

2) FLOWERS. Ugggggh, flowers. We met with a couple of florists recently. Florist #1 was recommended by our planner and they're good friends. She claimed that she could pull off our vision $200 BELOW our budget -- but FI and I are still a little hesitant just because ALL of her previous work (except for one wedding, basically) her style was completely different from our style... so we're nervous that she claims she can pull off our vision -- but can she really?

Florist #2 I found via good reviews and she's local to where FI and I live. Her style was nearly identical to ours and every wedding she has done was stunning. But, she was not only $100 OVER our budget, but she also didn't include a lot of little "extras" that florist#1 offered (for example, arrangements in the restrooms or a fresh bout for FI later in the night...).

So what the heck do we do? Spend more money for less things but have the assurance that we'll get what we want? Or spend less money for more things but be concerned that it won't match up to what we want?

People of TK, tell me what to do.
lol.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Afraid to pull the trigger

• im confused a lil-   is your caterer doing your cake?  and is the caterer using your baker/ if not why would u use that baker?

flower wise i would ask florist #1 to do a mock to see if she can do your vision.  also give her pictures to work off from as examples. 

florist #2 i would say tell her heres my budget what can you offer and what lil things can you do. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_afraid-to-pull-the-trigger?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:191e1df7-ed54-4cb9-8d97-411085c6cacbPost:cccbb14d-8aca-4c5b-9227-5dce2941d3be">Re: Afraid to pull the trigger</a>:
    [QUOTE]im confused a lil-   is your caterer doing your cake?  and is the caterer using your baker/ if not why would u use that baker? flower wise i would ask florist #1 to do a mock to see if she can do your vision.  also give her pictures to work off from as examples.  florist #2 i would say tell her heres my budget what can you offer and what lil things can you do. 
    Posted by southerncutie[/QUOTE]
    Our caterer is not doing our cake, they're doing a separate dessert with a separate baker from the cake baker we tasted with.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• if you arent cake people per se i would say maybe cupcakes would be way to go and the extra dessert.  HTH
  • You could probably get away with having a smaller (thus, less expensive) cake since you are also offering another dessert. I know lots of people who aren't cake people and turn down cake at a wedding regardless, let alone when there is another option. 
  • You dont have to do cake. Ive seen cupcakes, donuts, cake pops, heck I've even seen no cake and just a dessert like cookies n milk at the end. Since you still want to cut a cake you can have a small one, aka 2 tier, to cut and then save rhe top layer for your anniv. Its really all about what you both want.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • You totally don't have to do cake if you would prefer something else. We're serving cheesecake since we like that much better than cake. I agree with the others that if you really want to serve cake to go with a smaller one since you're having so many other desserts too. Some people may only choose one or the other unless you serve the cake to everyone. In regards to the florist, personally I would go with 2 b/c I would want the style. I think I'd be willing to compromise on a few arrangements I didn't care as much about to get the ones I do care about in the style I want.
    ~How long do you want to be loved? Is forever enough?~
    My Planning Bio (last updated 10/6/12)

Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards