Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Hi there! - Newly Engaged

Hi all!

My name's Erin and I just got engaged last Saturday.  My fiance and I were set up by mutual friends over two years ago and he waited until right before my birthday this year to ask!  We had spent the day walking downtown looking at the holiday decorations and were walking home on the north shore riverfront trail when he pulled me close and gave me my ring!

We're trying to pick a date and a venue now - my fiance really wants October 2012, I want to wait until March/April 2013 for extra planning time.  We're on a severely limited budget, so I want the extra time to save AND look for that beautiful place with awesome food - not an easy feat, from what I gather!

It's great to find you ladies!  :)
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hi there! - Newly Engaged

• Barrbride12Barrbride12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!  Super exciting!!!  Very cute proposal, looks like you should walk that trail every year on your anniversary too!  :)
    I'd look around at some possible venues- some offer a discount for an 'off season'.  I can't remember off hand what months are included in the discount, but might help you pick a date!  
    Good luck!!!
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome! Hope you post often. The boards are a great way to find things that fit your budget.

I'm getting married in April, and got a discount from my venue, and a few other vendors when I asked about if off-season pricing was different.  I also think having a longer engagement is much better for saving up for your budget/finding affordable vendors/etc.  I had one and don't regret it at all.
  • erbear84erbear84 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tip!  I'm starting to gather some ideas...we're not the most traditional of couples (no church wedding for us!), so it kind of feels like looking for a needle in a haystack at the moment.  I'm fairly sure most places consider March/April their off season...we're both teachers and originally thought we were limited to the most expensive summer months but I'm glad we both got over that thinking.  :)
  • Tara5384Tara5384 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married this March and there are definitely vendors that give off-season discounts.  I know Fineline Weddings is one of them.  We got a discount on their photobooth services, but I believe they also give them if you use them for photography and videography during the offseason.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi! Congrats on the engagement.

I agree with pp, the longer you have to plan, the more you can really look around for particular vendors and save some money. I am getting married this March as well, and I have saved over $5000 to date. No exaggeration.

Vendors will negotiate more during an off season. Not to mention that as long as you aren't getting married around a major steeler/penguin/pitt game, then hotel rooms should be cheaper for your out of town guests. You also won't be competing with other brides for vendors. Not one vendor I went to was booked on my wedding day. It made life so much easier.
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats!!

FI and I are having a 20-month engagement, and the wedding is in April.  We got a discount on our photographer because our date is sort of in the off-season.  And the extra planning time makes things a little less stressful!

Can't wait to hear how things are progressing with you and your ideas!  You have plenty of time!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards