Wedding Etiquette Forum

Totally off subject but can use advice

So we have been renting a townhome from a private owner for the last year and have another year to go. We have met him - super nice guy. Problem is 3 months ago he stopped cashing our rent checks and is not returning any phone call or emails. He usually got back within at least 2 days. Any advice on what to do? I googled his name and didn't get anything. And the address to send the checks is a PO Box so we don't have a home address. Any ideas?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Totally off subject but can use advice

• Ruuuut rooooooh.... That's really bad. Do you know if the mortgage is up to date?
  • That's really weird. Do you have a government department that looks after tenant and lanlord rights (here in Manitoba we have the Residential Tenancies Board)?  I would maybe contact an attourney to find out what you can legally do in terms of tracking this guy down (he could have passed away, be a secret agent, or have gone on an extended vacation, etc...).  What would you do if there was an emergency maintenance issue? Would you normally call this guy or a landlord?  I'd keep track of when those cheques were written too because after 6 months they will stale date and he (presuming he's still alive) won't be able to cash them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It seems like, right now, the only thing you could do is possibly contact where ever his PO box is and ask for some information. I mean, if he is in the hospital or something they may have been notified. 
  • I would try to contact the local police dept of whatever town your landlord lives in.  Explain the situation to them so they can do a well-being visit.  I'm assuming they have ways of getting his address.
    Anniversary
  • [QUOTE]It seems like, right now, the only thing you could do is possibly contact where ever his PO box is and ask for some information. I mean, if he is in the hospital or something they may have been notified. 
    Posted by pokepoke27[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I think there may be some legal issues with this.  A lot of people use PO boxes to protect their privacy.

</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My first thought was that you need to find somewhere to move to ASAP because he's not paying the mortgage and the house is going to be foreclosed on. 

Have you tried Googling your address or plugging it into somewhere like Zillow to see if you find anything? 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_totally-off-subject-but-can-use-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:0927f3db-7de8-4e42-9dfd-2c629b2408a4Post:e45e0b34-af1d-47f9-b0cc-275d5e38ad3c">Re: Totally off subject but can use advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]It seems like, right now, the only thing you could do is possibly contact where ever his PO box is and ask for some information. I mean, if he is in the hospital or something they may have been notified. 
    Posted by pokepoke27[/QUOTE]

The post office can only release info if they're court ordered to do so. They also would probably not be notified if someone were in the hospital
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_totally-off-subject-but-can-use-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:0927f3db-7de8-4e42-9dfd-2c629b2408a4Post:8822b819-f787-4744-a660-be03b09746e1">Re: Totally off subject but can use advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's really weird. Do you have a government department that looks after tenant and lanlord rights (here in Manitoba we have the Residential Tenancies Board)?  I would maybe contact an attourney to find out what you can legally do in terms of tracking this guy down (he could have passed away, be a secret agent, or have gone on an extended vacation, etc...).  <strong>What would you do if there was an emergency maintenance issue?</strong> Would you normally call this guy or a landlord?  I'd keep track of when those cheques were written too because after 6 months they will stale date and he (presuming he's still alive) won't be able to cash them.
    Posted by ElleB87[/QUOTE]

One of the reason we have been trying to contact him the last couple of days is because the AC unit broke!!!! My FI is luckily super handy and knows how to fix things but we need to know what the guy is willing to pay for.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ruh roooooh is right.  I like Kathy's suggestion.  There's a lot of reasons he could have disappeared...

I hope it turns out to be something benign.  Like he took a road trip to find himself and just hasn't been fussed to cash your rent. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_totally-off-subject-but-can-use-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0927f3db-7de8-4e42-9dfd-2c629b2408a4Post:cd5fb52c-49aa-4a26-8392-0563742b2ca4">Re: Totally off subject but can use advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]My first thought was that you need to find somewhere to move to ASAP because he's not paying the mortgage and the house is going to be foreclosed on.  Have you tried Googling your address or plugging it into somewhere like Zillow to see if you find anything? 
    Posted by RebeccaB88[/QUOTE]

If they are renting, they probably have rights in case of a foreclosure. They would recieve appropriate notice and not have to move immediately.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_totally-off-subject-but-can-use-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0927f3db-7de8-4e42-9dfd-2c629b2408a4Post:0cf12280-17db-4ec0-8385-3bcb312aea10">Totally off subject but can use advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]So we have been renting a townhome from a private owner for the last year and have another year to go. We have met him - super nice guy. Problem is 3 months ago he stopped cashing our rent checks and is not returning any phone call or emails. He usually got back within at least 2 days. Any advice on what to do? I googled his name and didn't get anything. And the address to send the checks is a PO Box so we don't have a home address. Any ideas?
    Posted by hwoychowski[/QUOTE]

This happened to my mom and I, my mom had 4 checks that never cleared, she couldn't get ahold of a manager. So she banked the money, for it someone came to claim it, they never did. About a year later she got a notice the townhouse was in foreclosure, so she used the rent money she had saved on a downpayment for the house.
  • Got him on FB or know a neighbor who does?
  • I also second taking Kathy's advice. You could be facing eviction if this guy has passed away or is in prison and no one has been paying the mortgage.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • gundy21gundy21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Is your townhome part of a condo association?  If so, contact them to see if your unit is up to date on HOA fees.  They might also know if the townhome is in foreclosure (hope that isn't the case).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I googled the address and put it to Zillow but didn't get any info. I don't knwo him personally and has a very common name so FB would not work well. We have been stockpiling the money in our account in the case he suddenly cashes all at once. I am assuming there is nothing that we are doing that is on the wrong. We have a signed contract. So I am guessing worst case scenario we would have to find another place quick?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI just tol dme that his real estate frind is doing a search on the property for back taxes....fingers crossed that he is on some soul searching mission. :) I also like the secret agent idea....hmmmm......
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    Check into your rights as a tenant if there is a foreclosure or sale of the property.  You may need to file your lease with an office for it to be honored for the duration by a new buyer.  There are also laws that can require the landlord to reimburse you for reasonable maintenance. Some law schools offer clinics that help in the area of tenants rights, their clinics should be listed on the school website. 
  • Maybe he is backpacking through Europe? Good call putting the money aside. My SIL and BIL bounced checks to their landlord because he hadn't cashed them for 3 months, he didn't disapear though, and he cashed them all at once.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Typically, if the house is in foreclosure, the bank will give a tenant 30 days to vacate the property if its going up for foreclosure sale.  If they are going to foreclose, they will post a notice on the door.   Just stockpile the money, and make sure you have access to it in the event you have to use it for deposits, moving expenses.

If your real estate friend is doing a search, they can likely find out who the lien holder on the property is and whether or not a notice of foreclosure has been filed with the county recorder.
  • My guess is its foreclosure or he is hospitalized or passed away.  I mean, if he is backpacking through Europe or had some long assss vaca planned, he would probably have someone else depositing your rent check for him and woulda/shoulda contacted you to let you know he will be away and give you alternate contact info, in case of an emergency. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards