Wedding Etiquette Forum

Upset About Attendance Rate

Re: Upset About Attendance Rate

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_upset-attendance-rate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ecaaa10e-4e4d-4fbd-b9fc-467cb7e72659Post:debad67e-bd66-4c6b-ac4c-7049cb66f0f0">Re: Upset About Attendance Rate</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm also a bit opposed ethically to the fact that you get free stuff in exchange for reviews. 
    Posted by kikibaby[/QUOTE]

Do whaaaaaaaaat?
  • I know... I can't imagine a blogger saying, "Hey, I got these free shoes from XYZshoes and they suck.  Oh man are they awful!"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_upset-attendance-rate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ecaaa10e-4e4d-4fbd-b9fc-467cb7e72659Post:d34a3049-fd24-45ca-950f-8e6a9f18a897">Re: Upset About Attendance Rate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Upset About Attendance Rate : ME TOO.  Cause I've yet to see a blogger give a bad review of something they got for free.  Doesn't really seem unbiased now, does it? 
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

<div>Exactly. Bloggers don't give bad reviews. Most bloggers who do review say in their PR notes that they do not give bad reviews. Although I think the few I know that do review things return the item if it sucks. </div>
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Sco- there's a review on the main page for some flip flops and she's got a disclaimer underneath that says she received them for free in exchange for a review.
  • zippitybzippityb member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2010
    I don't really see a problem with any of this.

I am receiving a dozen fried Mars bars for saying this.
  • Oh my... I'm all for free stuff, don't get me wrong, but...
  • edited March 2010
    Some bloggers do give honest reviews for the products they recieve. I think Brie has given a less than steller review on something. I wish my blog were good(or that I kept up with it) so I could get some free running stuff...Sealed

Edit: I read what Brie wrote, must have been one of the blogs I read off her links with the negative review.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • tannymcgeetannymcgee member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_upset-attendance-rate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ecaaa10e-4e4d-4fbd-b9fc-467cb7e72659Post:b11978fd-fce7-4d76-90c1-9c2cff83b1f8">Re: Upset About Attendance Rate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Upset About Attendance Rate : Exactly. Bloggers don't give bad reviews. Most bloggers who do review say in their PR notes that they do not give bad reviews. Although I think the few I know that do review things return the item if it sucks. 
    Posted by salt78[/QUOTE]

im a publicist.  real, legitimate journalists get tons of products all the time to review.  Normally they will try out everything, and then put mentions of the things they liked in their publication.  The tech industry works a little different in that more products are reviewed, bad or good.  But for lifestyle pubs like cosmo, those editors get everything.  and only put the stuff they like in their magazine/on their web site.

*edit* it also helps if I can say (with a letter from the person) that a celebrity has used it and likes it
    Married 4/30/11
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_upset-attendance-rate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ecaaa10e-4e4d-4fbd-b9fc-467cb7e72659Post:d34a3049-fd24-45ca-950f-8e6a9f18a897">Re: Upset About Attendance Rate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Upset About Attendance Rate : ME TOO.  Cause I've yet to see a blogger give a bad review of something they got for free.  Doesn't really seem unbiased now, does it? 

I have seen both bad and neutral reviews on blogs before.

Personally, I get some stuff for free and I review it.  I have honestly never given an overall bad review because I've genuinely liked everything I have gotten.  There have been a few things that I've had problems with, and I've mentioned them, but they have really always been minor.  I wouldn't compromise the integrity of my blog by promoting crap.  I've actually followed up on certain reviews when problems have arisen with the product later on after I've been using them for awhile. 

Biased, sure, it's free, of course there will be some. But I wouldn't lie to people and say something is great when it isn't.  If I got a product to review I didn't like, I would either post the negative review or contact the company and say, "Look, I hated your product.  I can either post the negative review or not post anything at all" and ask what they wanted to do.   I have also just declined to review some products that don't sit well with me (useless wedding planning tools, yogurt made with high fructose corn syrup).

It's possible to review things for a blog with integrity. 
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_upset-attendance-rate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ecaaa10e-4e4d-4fbd-b9fc-467cb7e72659Post:f3e13463-df31-4ae9-b4e7-bde4d65f833e">Re: Upset About Attendance Rate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Upset About Attendance Rate : im a publicist.  real, legitimate journalists get tons of products all the time to review.  Normally they will try out everything, and then put mentions of the things they liked in their publication.  The tech industry works a little different in that more products are reviewed, bad or good.  But for lifestyle pubs like cosmo, those editors get everything.  and only put the stuff they like in their magazine/on their web site.
    Posted by tannymcgee[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that's true. But this said, "I received this product for free in exchange for a review". The quid pro quo makes it sketchy, not the fact that it was free.

I'm still less bugged by it that by the donation box, though. Seems awfully hypocritical to say, "I'm having a budget wedding and I'll tell you all about it, but really, could you spare five bucks?"
  • Actually, the donation button is on there because I can't figure out how to take it off.  I'm working on getting a layout created, so I haven't worried about it.  She can change it when she installs my layout.

Been paying for my own wedding since the very beginning.  Thanks!
  • At least giving the crappy stuff back is a step up, but still.  I can't really get on board with trusting reviews from a reviewer who never says negative stuff.  Makes it hard to figure out what would really garner a bad review, and to judge if I look at things the same way.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • I would never write a biased review.  If someone gives me something free to review, I'm not going to lie about it.  I have loyal readers and I don't feel like I need to lie to them about something.  I know in the past, even though I have been pleased with a product, there have been parts I haven't been pleased with and wrote that part in my review. 

And you are required to announce that you are receiving something in exchange for a review or a giveaway.  You can be fined if you do not. 

If you don't like my blog, don't read it.
  • Has anyone sent you money?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_upset-attendance-rate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ecaaa10e-4e4d-4fbd-b9fc-467cb7e72659Post:f3e13463-df31-4ae9-b4e7-bde4d65f833e">Re: Upset About Attendance Rate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Upset About Attendance Rate : im a publicist.  real, legitimate journalists get tons of products all the time to review.  Normally they will try out everything, and then put mentions of the things they liked in their publication.  The tech industry works a little different in that more products are reviewed, bad or good.  But for lifestyle pubs like cosmo, those editors get everything.  and only put the stuff they like in their magazine/on their web site. *edit* it also helps if I can say (with a letter from the person) that a celebrity has used it and likes it

<div>Wow you're awesome. Can I have your autograph?</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_upset-attendance-rate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ecaaa10e-4e4d-4fbd-b9fc-467cb7e72659Post:2b7b874f-d671-4eaf-840c-0eed87bcf89e">Re: Upset About Attendance Rate</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone sent you money?
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

THIS. Is the question of the hour.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_upset-attendance-rate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ecaaa10e-4e4d-4fbd-b9fc-467cb7e72659Post:24515b1d-21d3-46d5-9193-958cd7733948">Re: Upset About Attendance Rate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Upset About Attendance Rate : Wow you're awesome. Can I have your autograph?
    Posted by salt78[/QUOTE]

i do find myself pretty awesome. 
    Married 4/30/11
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_upset-attendance-rate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ecaaa10e-4e4d-4fbd-b9fc-467cb7e72659Post:cdaed82e-1410-4c76-a6bb-85d5cf25f8d3">Re: Upset About Attendance Rate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Upset About Attendance Rate : THIS. Is the question of the hour.
    Posted by scoetto[/QUOTE]

If someone sent me money to help pay for our wedding, I would be very shocked and I don't think I would be able to keep it.  Paying for my wedding is my own business and no one elses.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_upset-attendance-rate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ecaaa10e-4e4d-4fbd-b9fc-467cb7e72659Post:debad67e-bd66-4c6b-ac4c-7049cb66f0f0">Re: Upset About Attendance Rate</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm also a bit opposed ethically to the fact that you get free stuff in exchange for reviews. 
    Posted by kikibaby[/QUOTE]

This is pretty typical in the blogosphere. As long as the blogger is honest about it, whatever. Good for her for getting free stuff.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • If it's your own business, what's with the blog?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_upset-attendance-rate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ecaaa10e-4e4d-4fbd-b9fc-467cb7e72659Post:9d0a4ee7-8ede-47d6-bf67-fc60c67418f2">Re: Upset About Attendance Rate</a>:
    [QUOTE]At least giving the crappy stuff back is a step up, but still.  I can't really get on board with trusting reviews from a reviewer who never says negative stuff.  Makes it hard to figure out what would really garner a bad review, and to judge if I look at things the same way.

Yeah, it's kind of a weird situation because I (and most bloggers I read) screen products before they even get to us.  I'd rather not waste a company's time and my time by having them go through the hassle of mailing me something I know I'm not going to review positively just based on principle.  Therefore, most of the products that do make it onto the blog are things that I would like or use anyway, and I'm just nitpicking the details for people who read and are interested.  The really, truly awful stuff gets screened out in advance, which is why it's rare to see a review absolutely trashing a product.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_upset-attendance-rate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ecaaa10e-4e4d-4fbd-b9fc-467cb7e72659Post:28908c4e-484e-41b8-976d-7ae2ff9ebb35">Re: Upset About Attendance Rate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Upset About Attendance Rate : Yeah, it's kind of a weird situation because I (and most bloggers I read) screen products before they even get to us.  I'd rather not waste a company's time and my time by having them go through the hassle of mailing me something I know I'm not going to review positively just based on principle.  Therefore, most of the products that do make it onto the blog are things that I would like or use anyway, and I'm just nitpicking the details for people who read and are interested.  The really, truly awful stuff gets screened out in advance, which is why it's rare to see a review absolutely trashing a product.
    Posted by Brie2010[/QUOTE]

That's true too.  I have had a couple products that I knew I wouldn't be interested in and I told them so.  No point in wasting their time.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_upset-attendance-rate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ecaaa10e-4e4d-4fbd-b9fc-467cb7e72659Post:ca0052c0-d5eb-4acc-a1df-0bbd70f6edcd">Re: Upset About Attendance Rate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Upset About Attendance Rate : i do find myself pretty awesome. 

<div>Well that makes one of us.</div>
  • I wish people would send me stuff for free to review on my blog!  I like free stuff.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I definitely understand that you're disappointed, and PPs have given you lots of great pros to think about.

Since they're people that you love and care about, and who undoubtedly love and care about you (your grandparents!) you could also think about using the money you save to make nice little gift baskets to send them; a piece of cake, a wedding favor, pictures from the night, a dried flower from your bouquet, a written copy of the toasts given by your parents or relatives they would know (this is easier if toasters had something previously written or if you had a videographer and you could transcribe). Maybe you could make a shadow box out of it?

Just including little mementos from the night that let them know that you missed having them there, that you love them, and that you wanted them to share in the celebration of your marriage, even if they couldn't make it to witness the actual event. If they send you a gift, you could send the basket along with a thank you note, and at least be comforted that they'll be tickled by your thoughtfulness and will have something from your wedding to cherish!
  • So, your donation link takes me to paypal.  I really don't think paypal and blogger would team up to put random donation links on people's blogs.

I smell bullshit.  You suck.  I have always thought that, but this just solidifies it.  Loser.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_upset-attendance-rate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ecaaa10e-4e4d-4fbd-b9fc-467cb7e72659Post:27d8e8c0-1580-4c2f-98ec-340ffd298770">Re: Upset About Attendance Rate</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, your donation link takes me to paypal.  I really don't think paypal and blogger would team up to put random donation links on people's blogs. I smell bullshit.  You suck.  I have always thought that, but this just solidifies it.  Loser.
    Posted by mandysmear[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I don't how to take it down.  I just write, I'm not good with the technical stuff.  If someone could inform me of how, I would. 
  • It's pretty easy- login to Blogger.  Click "Layout".  Under the "Add a Gadget" section, click "Edit" on the "Help Us Out" box, which will open a new window, and then click Remove.  Then click "Save" on the original page.  That should do it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_upset-attendance-rate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ecaaa10e-4e4d-4fbd-b9fc-467cb7e72659Post:5ff43dc2-27f4-4b17-991e-751ca72944d1">Re: Upset About Attendance Rate</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's pretty easy- login to Blogger.  Click "Layout".  Under the "Add a Gadget" section, click "Edit" on the "Help Us Out" box, which will open a new window, and then click Remove.  Then click "Save" on the original page.  That should do it.
    Posted by ThePinkSuperhero[/QUOTE]

<span class="Unicode">❤</span>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards