Not Engaged Yet

What Warms Your Heart?

I work in downtown Denver. Like most downtown areas, people are pretty rushed and pushy...everyone has somewhere to be and they're always late.

I was walking across the street towards my building after lunch yesterday and witnessed something truly touching. A guy I recognized (he works at the Starbucks in the lobby) noticed an older woman struggling to cross the street. He jogged across towards her, took her by the arm and walked, inch by inch, back to the side of the street he started on. There wasn't enough time for him to get back across the street, so he had to wait for the next light. I couldn't believe how kind he was. It seems like such a simple gesture, but I guess I just haven't witnessed people helping other people very much lately.

It really made my day to see such a kind act. We're just starting to get into the holiday season...so what has warmed your heart recently? What is something you've witnessed that has restored your faith in the kindness and generosity of people?

Re: What Warms Your Heart?

• Aw, what a nice story.

Sadly, I can't think of anything I've personally witnessed lately.  Hmm.  I'll get back to you.
  • My H warms my heart...daily.

You hoars warm my heart...all the time.

And puppies.  Who doesn't love puppies?
  • What a nice story!  I don't have a specific story like that unfortunately.  Friends on FB seem to be checking on with each other and to those who have power are offering people to stop by for warmth, and food.

Anniversary

• I park at a park and ride lot and take a bus downtown for work.  Yesterday when I pulled in, the bus was already there, which basically means I will be waiting another 10-15 minutes for the next bus.  BUT, the bus driver sat and waited while I was parking and stuff.  It really made my Monday.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It wasn't something I witnessed but the same thing the guy in your story did.  I was at a gas station and I tend to just be in my own world but that day I happen to look up and see this elderly gentleman, and I mean elderly trying to walk up the small ramp to get into the gas station convenience store.  He tried a couple of steps and then would take  couple of steps back.  Like he couldn't fight gravity to get up the ramp.  No one else noticed him so I ran over and offered him my arm to help up the ramp. Whenever I see elderly people out and about I feel happy they are still going about their daily activities so why not lend a hand.  BUT I have to say I really wish he wasn't driving.  Watching him pull out the gas station made me wait a few minutes till he was far enough away for me to get back on the street.
  • my "little sister" heard about the complications from my surgery, and surprised me today with her company and some Starbucks.  I cried!  it's not much, but that's the extend of my world right now.

I'm sure I could come up with more if I had time to think about it. 
  • I have to say, I've been thinking of my coworkers, and everyone else who braved the weather in the northeast in order to get out there and help others in what is sometimes a truly thankless job. I also see unbelievable kindness and tenderness on the part of the people I work with every single day...it makes me proud to do what I do. 
  • Aw...I love hearing these stories!

Lyn, I agree with you about elderly drivers. My grandpa had an accident last year. Although no one was hurt, he managed to push another car and his own into the middle of a 2-lane street at a gas station. Thank goodness he and the other driver were ok, but it was as simple as thinking he was stepping on the break instead of the gas. I wish there were laws forcing people to take annual driver's tests after a certain age or something. Not only do elderly drivers have the potential to hurt someone else...even if they don't hurt anyone they will have to live with the guilt and embarrassment of any accidents they do cause.
  • I love that story, Allusive! It's so great when you see good in the world :)

My Heartwarming Story of the Day:
    This morning was my last day working at the nursey and all the kids were being incredibly adorable today. I think my favorite moment was watching a 2 year-old "talking" with an 8 month-old. It pretty much just involved them yelling "ahhh!" at each other.

• Aw, I love that story Allusive.  

I don't have any stories to share, unless you count me making soup for my friend who was sick a story.  
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards