New York-Long Island

How much for your DJ?

Hi! I'm an editor at TheKnot.com, but I'm also a newly-engaged Long Island bride :)

I only moved to LI in the last few months, so I'm not sure what kind of prices to expect for everything. How much did you ladies pay for your DJ? What is the average I should expect?

Thanks for your help!

Re: How much for your DJ?

• edited December 2011
    We have an upgraded package with flat screens and a few other bells and whistles and it's almost 3000.00
  • kttestkttest member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine is about $3200, we got the deluxe lighting as well as uplighting for the room.  I think their basic package was just under $2000.
  • edited December 2011
    It's hard to pinpoint an average; as the previous posts show, you can get uplighting, bells and whistles and a whole of other stuff, or just keep to the music with some mceeing (which is the route I went).

I got a 6 hour package for just under $1600 (including park fees, not including gratuity), and that was for my dj, assistant, and emcee duties.  We had plenty of meetings and accessibility over the email was good.  But that was before summer (and wedding season) hit.  Some djs charge travel fees; there's really a lot to consider.

I wanted to stay around $1500, so it worked for me; anything approaching $2k-3k just seemed like money I'd rather spend elsewhere.  My two cents...
  • lisalou402lisalou402 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was with you SLBRIZ...we stayed in the $1500 range. NO lighting or flat screens though. 
  • edited December 2011
    Our DJ was a recommendation by a close friend who works for WBLI. He is charging us $1050...this includes DJ, MC, Light show for 4 hours. If we wanted him to play for the cocktail hour and ceremony it would be an additional $150. The name of his company is Crowd Control.
  • scoobyd266scoobyd266 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We paid $2400 for 1 DJ, 1 Emcee & a photog for 6 hours. They did our ceremony music as well as cocktail and reception. We had two flat screens with zap-shots taken throughout the night, and a video montage. We were given separate discs with the zap-shots, the scanned photos from our montage, the montage itself, a music soundtrack from our day (processional song, recessional song, first dance, mother/son, father/daughter, etc.) Overall, I felt like we got a lot for our money. They were amazing, and people were up on the dance floor dancing the whole time. I would definitely recommend!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We paid about 2000 for mc/dj, cocktail, ceremony music, and the whole lighting experience....it was wonderful - lighting & music. we used LI SOUND:-)
  • edited December 2011
    I've found a lot of DJs on gigmasters.com but I have not booked one yet.  I have seen as cheap as $800 and up.  I think though that anything under $1500 must be some sort of scam though because it seems like it's too good to be true.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FaeStarsFaeStars member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got mine for $1000 and they are well reviewed. We got the basic 1 man package w basic lights (which are very small) and CD music for CH and ceremony. They did give us a really good deal. The owner gave me the price over the phone and then when I saw them at a showcase I said I spoke to the guy and that was the price and even though they didn't have my paperwork w them, they just gave me that price.
  • edited December 2011
    $2395. Xtreme Sounds

music
    emcee
    2 plasmas
    photo montage
    zapshots
    and moderate lighting package

check them out. Ask for Freddy. He's great. I've seen them at other weddings and fire department dinner and they're awesome. Tell them what you want and your budget and he will make it work as best as he can.
  • edited August 2012
    What Dj company did you use? Slbriz
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards