Hawaii

Poll: Save the dates!

I'm sort of in a dilemma...well not really just think i'm stressing myself out along with added stress from family...We didn't "announce" our engagement or tell mainland family members that we are getting married.  My family thinks I should send out save the dates a year in advance...some think send it in december and others are just clueless...what do you think? :) when did you send yours out?

with school starting i know i won't have any time to get STD's done so i'd like to get an idea and then hopefully start making them because i know they'll be on the back burner for awhile. phew this is long SORRY! :)

Todd & Cari
7.23.2011~Hale Koa Hotel

Re: Poll: Save the dates!

• edited December 2011
    I say no earlier than a year, but sooner than 6 months (for those who need to buy airfare). 8 maybe?
  • edited December 2011
    We were/are only engaged for 10 months so a year wouldn't have been an option haha. Once you pick a date, I think the sooner you let people know the better whether its a phone call, email, facebook event invite or save the date.

Especially because a lot of our friends were recent college grads we wanted to give them as much opportunity as possible to save for the trip to Hawaii.  We actually sent them in groups, mainland first and then hawaii second since they didn't necessarily need quite so much advance notice.

We ordered magnets from vistaprint for ridiculously cheap. $40 for 200. We had to design them ourselves but it wasn't too much trouble.  It ended up going up in price a smidge because we were afraid people weren't going to know it was a magnet and attached the magnets to note cards that said "A present for your fridge or favorite magnetic surface!"  The cards came with envelopes from Target for $20 for 200.  :)

~Jenn

http://benjenn2010.weebly.com/stationary.html.
    Ben & Jenn Nov 27, 2010 Oahu
    Planning Bio
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Anywere between 8-12 months in advance is fine.  I think ours went out 8 months in advance.
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are sending ours out next week, 11 months out.  With the DW's, you gotta give people time to plan! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I sent ours out--just a postcard, see bio--within a week of picking our date, which was just days after we were engaged.  So, it ended up being 11 months before. 
  • edited December 2011
    We sent ours out in an email a week after we booked our venue (which was about a year and a half in advance). we wanted to give our friends and family as much of a heads up as we possibly could and by giving them the exact date they knew were serious and could save and plan accordingly. We have already has tons of our loved ones tell us how much they appreciated the info early :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    We sent ours out after we had signed with the venue so about 9 months before the wedding.  I think it has helped those that needed to push for vacations as we're all coming from outside of Hawaii.

We bought postcards from Hawaii and printed on the back of them the info - rather cheap but the invitaton made up for it :)
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Cari-we sent ours out in January so that makes it 8 months out when we mailed our save the dates.  The majority of folks we were inviting had known for about two years before, when FI proposed. 

Ally & Mar | 08.09.10 | The Coconut Club, Oahu
    Planning Bio-updated 06/07 | Married Bio & For SALE items

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We didn't do save the dates, but a lot of our guests were local.  For those who were on the mainland, I just did an informal email to let them know.  At first I was planning on doing them, but I didn't have my guestlist finalized yet, and when I did, it was kind of late already.  I think I heard about 8 months is good, but I think it depends on your personal situation (who your guests are and where they are coming from). 
  • edited December 2011
    Most everyone knew that we were having a DW on our wedding date so we sent out our STD's right after we chose our venues... about 10 months before the wedding.  I wanted to be able to send them out with our website info which had all the venue, room block and travel information on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards