North Carolina

Newly Engaged, Possibly Alamance Co., October 2011

Hi everyone!  I've already posted on the October board, but I felt like I needed more locally specific help.  

Here's the deal:  My FI proposed to me on Dec. 23, and we've already decided we want to get married in October (ideally October 22).  That leaves us almost 10 months to plan.  My parents live in Charlotte, all our friends are in Raleigh/Durham, and his parents live in Alamance Co (Burlington).  So, we'd like to have our wedding in the Burlington-ish area in order to be in the middle.  We're thinking 50-60 people (no more than 75), and we have no idea on good locations in the Alamance Co. area.  We're all different denominations too (he's non-denominational, his parents are Methodist, I'm Catholic, my grandparents are Church of God), so we're exploring the non-church ceremony site option as well.  Any help is appreciated!  

Also, we're moving in May to another state, so I'd like to get big vendors booked before then.  Any recommendations there are welcome too.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers BFP 02/04/2011;EDD 10/14/2011;Induced due to pre-e 09/07/2011;Jack born 09/08/2011 Image and video hosting by TinyPic image image

Re: Newly Engaged, Possibly Alamance Co., October 2011

• edited December 2011
    I cant really help with the venue.

but welcome dear and congratulations!!
    est. 9.17.2011
    furBRAT Tess:)
  • AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I cannot help either with venues since I am in the Northeastern part of the state, but congratulations!

May I suggest a museum, an aquarium, a botanical garden?  Not sure what Burlington area has, but those are places where you can have a wedding/reception that is religiously generic.  Happy Planning!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I just wanted to stop by and say welcome and congratulations as well!  Wish I could be of some help on locations!  I'm sure there are some girls on here who are in your area (we are getting married in Charlotte).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2011 Siggy Challenge: Hair
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats. Maybe his parents can help since they live in that area?
  • tarheelbabstarheelbabs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!  Is there anything on Elon's campus?  It's pretty new and really nice.
  • alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome to the board! Ah, Alamance. I spent many years living there when I was in school. As was mentioned above, Elon has a beautiful campus (ranked in the top 5 for colleges every year)! They have a adorable little church just off the main campus which I believe is non-denominational. However, if you are getting married around there in October, I say do it outside. The Elon campus is an accredited botanincal garden (sorry if I spelled that wrong, I am the worst speller!). They also have a nice indoor area for a reception.  I was on the Elon fire department, and we would have a holiday party there every year.  I don't know to what extent they rent places out, but I know they do it.

There is also a country club down the road. I can't remember what it is called, but it wasn't too far from campus.  Gibsonville also has an adorable downtown. And if I remember correctly, there is a beautiful house off the main street in Gibsonville that does weddings and special events.
  • edited December 2011
    Alliegator is right; in Gibsonville (just outside of Elon) there is the most precious place EVER where I attended a reception back in 2009... they had a tent sent up with a dance floor, etc. but it seemed like there was space for a ceremony, especially for a small wedding, adjacent to that.

I'm getting ahead of myself- here's the link- http://www.burkemanor.com/weddings.htm

I have just a few silly dancing, etc. pictures from the reception I attended, but if you'd like to see them, let me know. 

I've heard through the grapevine that most Burlington-area brides opt for Alamance Country Club, but I have no idea how exclusive that is.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards