Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

The dreadful wait for Elkins Estate

Any Elkins Estate brides out there who have already chosen other venues since they've declared Chapter 11?  I'm just wondering how long I should wait before I get really serious about a new venue search (ugh - how I DON'T want to do that!). Has anyone tried to get their deposit back yet? Elkins Estate sounds hopeful that the re-organization will be successful, so I'd hate to choose another venue and EE still come through, after all of this!
I've been looking at Pen Ryn/Belle Voir, Ballroom at the Ben, and the Carriage House in south NJ. All beautiful, but my heart was just so set on EE :-(.

Re: The dreadful wait for Elkins Estate

• edited December 2011
    Oh so they are going out of business? So you have to get another venue right?  Well all the other venues you mentioned are great. Can't go wrong picking any of them really.
  • edited December 2011
    Well, they filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and will begin negotiations soon. We are waiting for a court date. They have full intention of staying in business if they can reach an agreement with the lender. But, I am wondering how long it will take for that? And how long will it take to reach an agreement? So, I'm a little nervous that if it all falls through - I'll be out of a venue!
  • edited December 2011
    Yea I think that would freak me out and I would just go elsewear.

• EiDuffyEiDuffy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it seems a little risky to me to wait, court things take forever...maybe you can have an anniversary party there in the future...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • angel33284angel33284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They just opened this season and they are already in trouble? I'd drop them like a hot potato.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah I am really at a loss of what to do as well. We are starting the hunt but I would be super said to give it up.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mramsey6mramsey6 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also have my wedding there... not until May of 2012, but we were just ready to start looking at vendors... Right now we are waiting because we love Elkins and we went to many places, and nothing was it until we got there. Usually with Bankruptcies, once they hit the court date hiring...they usually move quickly (since it is about money). You could always look at other venues, and if you hear nothing in the next month or two book them... we still haven't gotten word on if we will get our money back (and we paid in full for that deal they were offering :( yikes!) After this, and if we still don't get the venue....I might just say screw it! we are going to vegas! lol It's def. a hard decision, and good luck with what you decide!
  • This is a sad tale..and buyer BEWARE.

My husband and I were shopping around for a place to have our wedding (hes from Norway so we had tons of folks flying in internationally) and I have family and friends from all over...anyhoo we saw a online pic of this place and fell in love...we went to an open house...loved it even more...we decided then and there that we wanted to have out wedding there.

We PAID in FULL up front....over 5K to rent to place several months in advance...a couple of months later the place filed a Chapter 11!!!!!!!
    We were notified initially by email...them a formal mail..

We were crushed...and NO one...I mean No one could give a straight answer as to what we were to do next, if they would even be open OR not...it was a nightmare...so weeks turn into months...and if you have planned a wedding you know you have to abide by your timelines...reservat ions etc...well we missed them ALL..because of the shoddy management and the whole bankruptcy fiasco...fast forward almost a year later...apparently according to the paperwork forwarded from the courts in city hall, the place is free to operate business as usual...we got a email stating that we could request a full refund, only in writing...which of course we did...sent it certified US mail too...that was months ago...no $$$$$ refunded...and they arent returning our calls...

So buyer beware, seriously...we are out thousands of dollars...time and effort , this place is super shady...and our special day was RUINED by these folks...don't be a victim like we were.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards