Not Engaged Yet

To attempt a less-BSC day... (might rid you of your appetite. lol)

What is the weirdest or grossest (is that a word?) food you like to eat? It can be something exotic, a strange combination, etc. Something that when you eat it, people just don't get it.

ETA: and what made you try it in the first place?
Canada Cat Pictures, Images and Photos

Re: To attempt a less-BSC day... (might rid you of your appetite. lol)

• SopChickSopChick member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I'll start...

I'm usually a pretty 'safe' eater. I don't go too crazy with exotic foods. BF doesn't get it when I eat apples with peanut butter though. He thinks it's nasty. I've been eating them since I was a kid because my daddy ate them all the time, and now I just think they're delicious.
  • edited December 2011
    I've said this before my the "grossest" thing would be dipping mt chicken nuggets, french fries, etc in my Wendy's Frosty. People who have done it completely understand and agree with me in it's deliciousness but people who haven't think it's utterly disgusting..DON'T HATE until  you try it.

That and cottage cheese with shredded cheese in it. FI thinks cottage cheese is the grossest thing ever and anyone else things it's crazy that I put cheese in it.
    imageimageimageimage
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    EKath - I <3 doing that!!

BF hates that I eat raw hotdogs.  He thinks it's icky...I think it's a delicious treat.  The pugs and I usually share one;)

Other than that I don't think I eat much that is "gross".  Maybe seal...?  Seal pie is yummy

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I love rabbit.  It's so delicious.  I also am obsessed with a Portuguese dish called Carne de Porco Alentejana which is Pork and Clams over sliced, baked potatoes.  I've been told it's a weird combination but it's absolutely delicious.
  • edited December 2011
    Yum apples and peanut butter AND the wendy's deal? Yeah anything tastes amazing dipped in a frosty lol.

Mine is probably: raw hamburger - I know it's bad for you and I could get sick but for some reason my mom gave it to me as a kid and I love it with garlic salt on it.

Also chicken hearts and gizzards. So good.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i've had ostrich before. it was really, really yummy.
    and i had garlic ice cream once, which was odd but i kinda liked it.

i don't think this is gross, but i grew up eating my pancakes with peanut butter (and maple syrup of course... the real stuff. i'm canadian so it's blasphemy to not use the real syrup). i was 11 before i found out that most people didn't do that.
  • edited December 2011
    Thousand year old eggs... it's a Chinese delicacy made by taking ostrich eggs, covering them in horse urine (now-a-days they usually just use vinegar instead) and herbs, then buried in the sand for four months.  When they come out, they're green with black yolks.

When I tried them for the first time with Chinese colleagues (who spoke mediocre English) they told me, "Don't eat too much because they're poisonous."  Uh... turns out they meant it would make me sick.  Big difference from poisonous!

Anyway, they were delicious (in moderation) even though they sound disgusting.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_attempt-less-bsc-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dbf8e391-1bb0-455f-badd-c4c3e036e477Post:b2560cf6-8503-49c9-9517-88687850371c">Re: To attempt a less-BSC day...</a>:
    [QUOTE]i've had ostrich before. it was really, really yummy. and i had garlic ice cream once, which was odd but i kinda liked it. i don't think this is gross, but i grew up eating my pancakes with peanut butter (and maple syrup of course... the real stuff. i'm canadian so <strong>it's blasphemy to not use the real syrup</strong>). i was 11 before i found out that most people didn't do that.
    Posted by heyimbren[/QUOTE]

<div>AMEN!</div>

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
    edited December 2011
    Man... I'm such a bad Canadian, I haven't used the real stuff in too long! Might just have to get some today. :)

You have tried some interesting things ladies!

Paige: I used to eat raw hotdogs when I was little

loves2shop: That is an interesting combination, but I'm sure it's packed with flavour!

dreamer: how do you even cook chicken hearts & gizzards...?

heyimbren: I love pb on just about everything! I made pb & banana French toast the other day (with syrup of course) and it was delicious. I can see the appeal of pb on pancakes!

catemeg: I'm not sure I could have eaten the thousand year old eggs without gagging. Can you describe something they tasted like?
    edited December 2011

Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_attempt-less-bsc-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dbf8e391-1bb0-455f-badd-c4c3e036e477Post:e30f08b8-e795-449d-a886-28b8a7f467e1">Re: To attempt a less-BSC day...</a>:
    [QUOTE]catemeg: I'm not sure I could have eaten the thousand year old eggs without gagging. Can you describe something they tasted like?
    Posted by SopChick[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I can't even remember exactly.  It was over 2 years ago, and it was followed by a long night of people shouting "gambei" (Chinese for "bottoms up" - aka everyone's getting wastey).  The texture was like a hard boiled egg, but dry and crumbly.  It was almost powdery, to be honest.  It was slightly sour from the vinegar, and packed with flavor.
  • breezerbbreezerb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    popcorn dipped in microwaved cheese whiz!!!
    so delicious...

my BF thinks is gross but he hates apples so he has lost all validity on the food front with me...
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

*No pony, no I do!*
    edited December 2011
    OMG Paige! I just told BF that we NEED to go there the next time we're in Halifax, and he looked like he might vomit. haha!

• edited December 2011

My FI is used to me trying out combinations of foods, although most of them are pretty "normal" combinations, but I do like to experiment a bit.

Probably the "grossest" food I eat (FI can't stand it and it's become this big joke with him and my family - my parents & I keep saying we're going to serve it at the reception) is liver and onions.  The way my mom makes it, it comes out so tender and the onions just melt in your mouth...yummy.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_attempt-less-bsc-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dbf8e391-1bb0-455f-badd-c4c3e036e477Post:3acd53d3-dec3-41ae-9429-91060c47b994">Re: To attempt a less-BSC day...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll start... I'm usually a pretty 'safe' eater. I don't go too crazy with exotic foods. BF doesn't get it when I eat apples with peanut butter though. He thinks it's nasty. I've been eating them since I was a kid because my daddy ate them all the time, and now I just think they're delicious.

I do this too. It's delicious.

As for my crazy food habits, I love eating potato chips/pretzels INSIDE a tuna sandwich. It's so wonderfully crunchy and it meshes well with the texture of the tuna. But I eat pretty much everything - I'm always trying to find a new cuisine. I love seafood, especially raw seafood. I eat octopus and raw salmon and raw tuna. Oh, and eel. But not raw - raw eel is poisonous.
  • edited December 2011
    The only thing better to dip an apple in the peanut butter is dark chocolate!

I don't eat anything "weird" but I do like things that other people do not... like calamari for example or tofu (if its marinated and cooked properly it can be delicious).  The only combo that I've had people give me the side-eye about is pizza dipped in garlic dressing but each person who actually tried it now does it because it is soooo good!

I think that all processed meats, innards of animals and the like are way grosser than anything else in the world.  I also think that oysters are disgusting but no one mentioned that yet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    mmm.... or apple dipped in pb, then dipped in dark chocolate...
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_attempt-less-bsc-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dbf8e391-1bb0-455f-badd-c4c3e036e477Post:f0cd507a-da75-4f97-a56e-b93df88345e7">Re: To attempt a less-BSC day...</a>:
    [QUOTE]OMG Paige! I just told BF that we NEED to go there the next time we're in Halifax, and he looked like he might vomit. haha!

<div>Do eeeeeeeeeet!!</div>

Murried Bio
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    BF thinks its gross that i dip my pizza in ranch dressing.  I don't know why though...i know a LOT of people that do it.  seems pretty normal to me...LOL
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Sop -

I buy them at the grocery store it's supposed to be dog treats I think or meat to make stuffing with. I generally throw them in a pan with some olive oil and cook them on high for about 15 minutes. Weird but soooo good with some garlic salt.

Man I like garlic salt. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I'm a pretty adventurous eater, especially since I met BF because he will eat anything! We love trying new foods. I really love seafood which I know a lot of people think is gross. I like muscles and scallops and clams especially. I've tried squid which I thought was really good.

Sushi is my favorite :D but all of my friends think its really gross.

• edited December 2011
    Oh, we've also had grasshopper tacos!  And beef tongue... so yummy!

Um, I had yak candy.  Yep, that's right, candy made out of yak meat.  That was in Western China.  And it tasted like peanut brittle - I liked it and brought a bunch home and made my family eat it.  Tee hee... don't worry, I did warn them beforehand!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_attempt-less-bsc-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dbf8e391-1bb0-455f-badd-c4c3e036e477Post:7ea8f8e9-9aec-4a22-a9c6-9535b3247ac6">Re: To attempt a less-BSC day...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a pretty adventurous eater, especially since I met BF because he will eat anything! We love trying new foods. I really love seafood which I know a lot of people think is gross. I like muscles and scallops and clams especially. I've tried squid which I thought was really good. Sushi is my favorite :D but all of my friends think its really gross.
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

We should definitely do dinner.
  • MidniteRaeMidniteRae member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a safe eater(I also don't like most food to touch), but I like tuna with bacon (tuna sandwich with bacon)
    "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury 
  • desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I WAS hungry before opening this thread. There should be a warning in the thread title!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• zipis1zipis1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chocolate frosting spread over Ritz crackers. This weird people out for some reason. I just think it's delicious :P

• run21run21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    TK won't let me type it. Innocent
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_attempt-less-bsc-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dbf8e391-1bb0-455f-badd-c4c3e036e477Post:d9387350-d83f-468e-b288-8182230e279c">Re: To attempt a less-BSC day...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I WAS hungry before opening this thread. There should be a warning in the thread title!
    Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]

Sorry desert! It kinda gives it away in the first post... I didn't think you would all be as adventurous as you have proven to be!
  • desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I know! That's why I kept reading...I was horrified and fascinated all at once, LOL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_attempt-less-bsc-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:dbf8e391-1bb0-455f-badd-c4c3e036e477Post:9efdcd24-c991-4f37-89b3-446bf47df199">Re: To attempt a less-BSC day...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Chocolate frosting spread over Ritz crackers. This weird people out for some reason. I just think it's delicious :P
    Posted by zipis1[/QUOTE]

My grandmother used to make these AMAZING cookies.  Two Ritz crackers with peanut butter in the middle, dipped in chocolate.  So easy, but SO good.

I'm a really safe eater.  FI thinks it's weird I dip my fries in my frosty, but other than that he's not surprised by anything I do, and is usually the one trying to get me to eat things that weird me out.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards