Snarky Brides

Lets talk about hair

I am at a loss as to what to do with my hair for the wedding, so I went over to the Wedding Beauty board and found some information about extensions. My hair is so short and thin that I had not thought about them before, but I watched a couple videos and now I think I want them. 

I'm wondering if I should try them, just to get my hair to shoulder length. I can still use my pretty comb that y'all helped me pick out, with my hair just tucked behind my ears and then my hand me down tiara as a headband during the reception.

FI is a bit skeptical but told me to do it if I wanted to. 
Here is how short my hair was just 2 months ago at my makeup trial:

This is how it has grown out as of today. I still have 2 and a half months left:

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get some high or low lights for texture and keep growing it out so it would blend better with extensions, or just get it trimmed up and keep it like it is. What do you think? 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Lets talk about hair

• I'm personally not a huge fan of hair extensions when your hair is your length - I think you would look super cute if you just grew it out for a month and a half, and had it trimmed to give it some shape before the wedding. 

But I*ve never really seen extensions done all that nicely, so maybe it's different if it's done really well.
  • If you do get extensions, be sure there are layers in them so it blends with your short layers. Personally, I'm a fan of short wedding hair. I kinda wish I had cut mine short before the wedding.
  • Thanks for the input. I still have yet to find someone to do my hair for the day of. If I keep it short, I can do it myself and save some dough.
  • I have long hair  but still want to play with extensions. Maybe for halloween...

Are they expensive or is it something you could try out and see? I do like to see people have the hair they normally have with wedding pictures though.
  • They would be pretty expensive.. I imagine around $100. I think part of the issue is that i don't have a regular hair person to ask about all this. 
  • I think you look great as you are!  I'm not sure why so many brides obsess about long hair for the wedding... shouldn't you look like a glammed-up version of yourself and not a strangeer? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like your short hair. :)
  • Ouch, that's a little pricey to play with.
  • Sarah- Keep your short hair. By this I mean, keep growing it out and when the time comes have your hairdresser try a few things. I think you should just stick with Poli, Bec, and Cew's styles. IMO.
  • I like your hair in pic #1 - you have beautiful eyes & the shorter hair really shows them off.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lets-talk-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3c4a2c84-155f-4390-87e8-572a3fb9a289Post:5f0aa4d7-319b-4c06-849a-617ae83ee0a9">Re: Lets talk about hair</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you look great as you are!  I'm not sure why so many brides obsess about long hair for the wedding... shouldn't you look like a glammed-up version of yourself and not a strangeer? 
    Posted by ehathewa[/QUOTE]

I wonder about this as well, but it's not like I walk around every day in a white dress with a train either, so there is that.

It amuses me how many brides complain about having long hair while growing it out and then chop it off. One of my friends had short hair her entire life, got extensions for the wedding, then took them out the next day. Her pictures look a bit odd because everything is short but wedding, including the honeymoon.
  • Yeah I don't really get the whole wife chop thing. I didn't do it. I think it was about 6 months after our wedding when I did get it cut and it was only a few inches. I always have my hair at different lengths and it just happened that I had long hair at the time we got married.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lets-talk-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3c4a2c84-155f-4390-87e8-572a3fb9a289Post:b1820cc5-4560-4fb0-a5fb-c83b9ac7fed6">Re: Lets talk about hair</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah I don't really get the whole wife chop thing. I didn't do it. I think it was about 6 months after our wedding when I did get it cut and it was only a few inches. I always have my hair at different lengths and it just happened that I had long hair at the time we got married.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm doing it!  I've wanted to chop off my hair for awhile, but FI really wants me to have it long still for the wedding.  </div>
  • Mine has always been long. The shortest it's been is to the tops of my shoulders and that drove me nuts. I do need to get it layered again soon though, I'm getting shaggy. Scott was terrified that I was going to get the wife chop after the wedding.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lets-talk-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3c4a2c84-155f-4390-87e8-572a3fb9a289Post:f15dda69-3c95-4846-8519-71fa0c3e9420">Re: Lets talk about hair</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mine has always been long. The shortest it's been is to the tops of my shoulders and that drove me nuts. I do need to get it layered again soon though, I'm getting shaggy. Scott was terrified that I was going to get the wife chop after the wedding.
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

Actually Ive had hair as short as Sarah's but I looked really mean. So I keep my hair long, and DH likes it long. Maybe thats why most women do it, cause their DH/FI likes their hair long?
  • I know Scott would be really sad if I ever cut it. My dad would probably cry.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lets-talk-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3c4a2c84-155f-4390-87e8-572a3fb9a289Post:15003671-7d20-44dd-8a0b-bbc4afb8f554">Re: Lets talk about hair</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know Scott would be really sad if I ever cut it. My dad would probably cry.
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

See thats my DH, his ex has very short (now thinning) hair. So he really loves my long hair. And I do too, as long as it's not humid or rainy.
  • I just thought that if it was longer, I would have a few more style options. From some angles, with my wide shoulder stance and short hair, I can look pretty butch. 

But I will probably end up leaving it short, probably not as short as it was in the hair trial, though, because then the comb with the veil won't stay in. 

Thanks for all your input and support. I may still do some coloring, though, just to highlight the texture more and keep it looking fuller. It is very thin. 
  • I do agree with the color. Do you have a good stylist you're working with?
  • My stylist moved away in May, and wouldn't do weddings anyway. I went to a new girl a couple days before my makeup trial, and I like her, but I haven't been back because I wanted to grow it out a bit. She is a master colorist, though. I need to call her and see if she is free the weekend of the wedding, I guess. Then I can go talk to her about options. 
  • If you do want to just test out extensions, you can pick up synthetic ones for not a lot of money. Even human hair ones to go shoulder length shouldn't be too bad. If you have a Sally Beauty Supply around, they carry some.

These are probably longer than needed, but $40 for human hair: http://www.amazon.com/Inch-Chocolate-Brown-Extensions-Human/dp/B002FQ55GG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1284251761&sr=1-7

Here are synthetic clip ins for $25:
    http://www.beauty-mart.com/product/HDO_STR_10_CHESTNUT/Jessica-Simpson-Hairdo-10-Straight-Synthetic-Clip-In-Extension-Chestnut.html

If your hair is usually short, you might not want to look like a totally different person, but I think extensions are lots of fun to play with.

• I guess I'm the exception.  I love hair extensions, as my hair refuses to grow past a certain point.  If you get the weft style sew-ins, they can look really natural, even with short hair.  I would try it soon, before your wedding, and get a feel for it for a couple days.  Good luck!

Finished BC and not preventing since June 2010.
    Actively trying for baby #1 since July 2011.
    SA completed 5/29/2012. No sperm found.
    11/12: Dx: Congenital Bilateral Absense of the Vas Deferens.
    Genetic Testing needed as this is a mutation of Cystic Fibrosis.
    IVF #1 with ICSI planned for 2013.
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • Sarah $100 for your whole head does not sound right to me.

Also, it depends on the type of extention.  If you want them bonded on its gonna cost a ton of money. Plus with really short hair you can see them.  (think brittney spears after head shave)

You can get clip in tracks for a few hundred.  A track is the whole length of your head.

Or you could try a few section clip ins.

IMO- I like you with short hair.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • SarahSmile23SarahSmile23 member
    First Comment
    edited September 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lets-talk-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3c4a2c84-155f-4390-87e8-572a3fb9a289Post:388f2400-6084-4c50-a284-795339f9ffbf">Re: Lets talk about hair</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lets talk about hair : Actually Ive had hair as short as Sarah's but I looked really mean.<strong> So I keep my hair long, and DH likes it long. Maybe thats why most women do it, cause their DH/FI likes their hair long?</strong>
    Posted by kd.joseph[/QUOTE]

my husband likes mine shorter...like around my collarbone or shoulders. not long!
  • One girl on the nest got hair extensions and it cost in the around 400-500 if I am not mistaken.
  • So maybe the chick on the Beauty board was lying.. or she was just talking about the hair and not the installation (is that the right word). $400 for a couple inches more of hair is just plain weird. I'll just keep going on the prenatal vitamins and see how long I can get it  ;)
  • Yeah- 100 bucks does not sound anywhere close.

Some of my friends are hairdressers.  One charges easily a grand for a full head of bonded extentions, one charges 750.

For weaved tracks its about 100-200 a track and you need 2-3 tracks.

Clip ons you can do yourself, but only really make sense for longer hair.  I use them when I want to add color for work.  Ill clip in a hot pink streak or a blue one.  I got those at Hot Topic for about $6.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Sarah,

I also have short hair, and I swam for 16 years, so I get the linebacker issue too. I'm just having my hair blown out into a bob. The money is getting spent on great color. My hair is also really really thin, but that's what I do every day and I want to look like me, ya know?

Here's an example, pardon the iphone picture,

PS- Heard you guys got a little rain?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hetsup, we have the same hair, just different colors!

Yes, we got over 11 inches in less than 48 hours. I live at the top of a hill, so we were ok, but I have 2 friends with water in their houses, one who has to completely gut hers to the studs. It was bad. But its ok now. Floods happen. 
  • FI's parents got 15 inches, and I guess they had some Monarchs stop by and eat a whole bush (hee!), so now there are chrysalis' everywhere. 

Anywho, I think your hair is super cute, no need to have long hair. Have you seen Cew's hair? Best wedding hair I've seen!

Oh yes, when my hair grows out, it looks like Kid Rock, not the best look ever.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards