Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Disposable "Barware"?

I can't believe how much we're spending on rental items.  I'm considering using clear plastic disposable cups for drinks instead of renting rocks, hi-ball, and wine glasses.  We would still have proper glasses on the tables for water and wine with dinner, as well as flutes for toasts.  My question is, how tacky is this? 
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Disposable "Barware"?

• edited December 2011
    Very tacky.
  • edited December 2011
    This is exactly what we are doing. It just seems easier and more convenient for everyone. I don't think it is tacky-I think it is practical. I say go for it if it works with your budget better.

I don't know what kind of wedding you are having but I saw a garden wedding spread where the couple collected enough mason jars for each guest to have one (and a few extras) and that was their glass for the night. They posted a sign with instructions and a table so guests could decorate their jars so they knew which was theirs. It was the couple's effort to be environmentally friendly. FI and I are entertaining this idea as well. I think it is really cute. I think though if we did it we would probably have a few sleeves of plastics just in case.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_disposable-barware?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:df5a657c-abe9-410c-9a26-ced223d41a01Post:6822dfba-38cf-4f40-bc4a-b06cc62869c2">Re: Disposable "Barware"?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is exactly what we are doing. It just seems easier and more convenient for everyone. I don't think it is tacky-I think it is practical. I say go for it if it works with your budget better. I don't know what kind of wedding you are having but I saw a garden wedding spread where the couple collected enough mason jars for each guest to have one (and a few extras) and that was their glass for the night. They posted a sign with instructions and a table so guests could decorate their jars so they knew which was theirs. It was the couple's effort to be environmentally friendly. FI and I are entertaining this idea as well. I think it is really cute. I think though if we did it we would probably have a few sleeves of plastics just in case.
    Posted by rknox88[/QUOTE]

Disposible glasses are not environmentally friendly.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh I love the mason jar idea!!  I have been wanting to incorporate mason jars into our reception for drinking but I was thinking I was going to have to purchase triple the amount of quests to make sure there was enough glasses.  This is brillant. 

I am also going to use the e-mail/website/phone idea to have people RSVP instead of using more paper and postage.  Someone already in the family did this and she said she had about the same response as her sister in-law who did it the traditional way. 

I am all about being eco-friendly!
  • edited December 2011
    If you're having a casual shindig, I think they're okay. On principal, I'm against them for their lack of eco friendliness, but if you can find your way around that, then that's a good thing. You could also look in to getting some cheap barware from Ikea, and then sell it after the wedding.
  • kimp67kimp67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We will have "real" wineglasses and water goblets set up on the tables for dinner.  But the bar (beer & wine only)will be using disposable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards