Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Food and Plates

So we're having a vintage-type wedding and serving southern food.  A lot of it is soul food which most of my family is able to make.  But it's buffet style and with about 100 people.  Any tips on how to prevent one giant or two giant lines?  Maybe I should ask someone to let people know by a table or two at a time to go get some food.  What do you all think?

Also, would it be okay to use paper (decorated/colored) plates and plastic tumblers?  I could wrap plastic silverware in paper napkins.  Could I get some opinions?

Re: Food and Plates

• Options
    Our DJ called our tables up a few at a time.  I would talk to your venue about how they have done it in the past.  You certainly don't want all 100 waiting in line at once.   

I am not usually a fan of paper products unless it's a very casual or backyard type of event.  Some girls swear that there are plastic products that look so much like real silverware and china you can barely tell the difference.  If you are doing DIY and don't want to mess with clean up, then it's probably your best bet.
  • Options
    Thanks StephiHall.  That's a great idea with the DJ assisting with that.  I found acrylic plates and such.  I wonder if I could find colored acrylic.  It's a DIY and I don't want to fuss much with clean-up.
  • Options
    Another idea is setting up the food at 2-3 different tables (same stuff) so you wont have them all lined up like cattle.  A friend of mine went to a wedding recently where they had 3 different areas to get food (their reception tables were shaped into a "U"),  with the food to the left, right and behind the "U".  Sorry if I described it oddly, but wanted to be sure you got the visual. 

The DJ idea is also a good one, but unfortunately not all guests like to wait their turn. 

If you are going to use any type of plate besides regular, test it out to make sure it will be sturdy enough for the food you are serving (Chinet sturdy).  Nothing ruins a party like someone losing their food all over their lap or someone else's because the plate breaks or bows. 

Good luck and happy planning!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I wouldn't do paper plates. We were going to do glass, but after thinking hard about it.. there's a million other ways I want to spend that money! haha. SO we are using the plastic- clear plates from sam's club. It's so much cheaper, plus it looks nice. (AND WON'T BREAK!)

Look into the stainless forks.. plastic forks reminds me of birthday parties.
    go to sam's clubs website and check out the prices..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks you all for the suggestions.  I had thought about the sturdiness of the plates.  The idea of different tables for food is great too!
  • Options
    Good luck planning! 
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards