Chit Chat

acrylic nails

Everyone has been so helpful and friendly, I thought I would ask one more question to get some female input/advice.  I am a male in the process of shopping for my dream wedding gown.  I want to get acrylic nails to have to wear with my gown.  My question is, if you were at a nail salon, would you have a problem with a male getting acrylic nails?  Also, when I do this at a salon, would it be better to dress as a woman, or just wear my male clothes?

Thanks so much everyone!

Re: acrylic nails

• I wouldnt have a problem with it, but I dont know about the specific salon. Maybe go with a friend? I think acrylic nails would look pretty :) Would you feel comfortable going in as female or male? I would go with what you're more comfortable with hun :)
  • I don't think a nail tech will think twice about doing your nails whether you are dressed as a male or female. They see a wide range of clientele, I am sure. Maybe you could ask for some referrals from some of your female friends. If they have someone they like, it might feel more comfortable for you to go with that friend or to at least know you've got someone competent and friendly.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    I would dress how you feel comfortable. Any nail salon that has a 'problem' providing you a service based on your gender would be wrongfully discriminating and face a potential lawsuit, so they should happily do your nails, acrylic or otherwise.
  • I absolutely love how friendly and accepting everyone is here.  I haven't really went out in public dressed up before, but that is really what I would like to do.  I would just enjoy wearing a skirt and heels and getting beautiful nails.  I just feel like having pretty nails will make my appointment at the bridal salon even better!
  • I can guarantee that you will be treated well by the people who work there, but you should know that it's possible that the other clients could be rude. I took a friend to get mani/pedi with me before and he got stares left and right. He wasn't dressed as a female, but he does have long hair with lots of colors in it and he dresses like he's straight out of the renaissance period.

My exboyfriend is actually a male-to-female transgender and she carries herself so well and with such confidence that no one questions a thing.

Do what makes you comfortable. Although we are friendly and accepting here, I can't guarantee everyone will be. I know the old ladies that frequent the nail salon that I do would be obnoxious about it :-/
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_acrylic-nails?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:078b36fa-0424-4b02-9994-501e96628913Post:30cdb571-bec2-4518-aab3-adedaeee87e5">Re: acrylic nails</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can guarantee that you will be treated well by the people who work there, but you should know that it's possible that the other clients could be rude. I took a friend to get mani/pedi with me before and he got stares left and right. He wasn't dressed as a female, but he does have long hair with lots of colors in it and he dresses like he's straight out of the renaissance period. My exboyfriend is actually a male-to-female transgender and <strong>she carries herself so well and with such confidence that no one questions a thing.</strong> Do what makes you comfortable. Although we are friendly and accepting here, I can't guarantee everyone will be. I know the old ladies that frequent the nail salon that I do would be obnoxious about it :-/
    Posted by breaness[/QUOTE]

I think that is the key.  If you carry yourself well and have confidence, that makes all the difference.  That goes for anyone really though!
  • I think you are getting some really good advice here.  I am transgendered and can say from experience that generally people react to you in the way that you present and feel about yourself.  If you are confident about yourself, you will get far fewer remarks and looks.  Of course confidence comes with experience.... so I say.... go for it.  And, if it would make you feel more confident, go ahead and call the salon ahead of time and explain the situation..... I am sure they will have not problems at all!
  • Thanks everyone for helping build my confidence.  I called the salon, and they said they would happy to do my nails.  I also am getting my eyebrows waxed.  I am so excited!
  • good for you!  good luck :)
  • I don't think it would be a problem anywhere.  Do what makes you feel more comfortable.  My suggestion as far as your nails would be to use the OPI permanent polish or  shalack.  They are the same thing, but are a bit better on the nails than acrylic or gel. That's what I"m doing for my wedding! Good luck! :)
    ~a~
  • Don't do acrylics!! I did it once and it ruined my nails for 6 months </3. Do Shellacing! its sort of like acrylics but better, its easier on your nails and easier to take off. Most places are slowly introducing Shellac nails, so look around! and I'm sure no one will mind if you went and got your nails done, and if they do they won't say anything because they will probably get fired haha. My dads nails are REALLY gross, like disgusting. and my mom would make him go get a manicure and pedicure and no one ever said anything. I'm sure they were too busy wanting to projectile vomit at the thought of having to clean his nasty nails. And dress how ever you want, you should be comfy. 
    :3
  • I agree! Goes as you want and feel great about it! Also, I would reccomend gel nails. There are a lot better on your nails long term.
  • OP I think you're awesome.  If it makes you feel beautiful go for it and to hell with those that don't like it.  On the other hand I would not recommend acrylics because they ruin your nails.  I highly recommend pink and white uv gels.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited April 2011
    Echoing what PP have said, you should be fine getting your nails done. And go exactly the way you will feel the most comfortable.

My FI is straight (obviously) and he got acrylic nails done for our prom (4 years ago). He works on computers so his nails are always super short and gross. The nail salon applied the acrylic and buffed it and they looked like real nails. Most of the girls in the salon thought it was neat that a guy was getting fake nails.

ETA: HobokenBride is right; you are awesome.
  • Acrylic Nails totally ruin your nail beds for a very long time! I would suggest the nail polish that stays on for 2 weeks. I got it in leu of acrylic and loved it because I could take it off whenever and it didn't do harm to my nails. It looks like fake nails too, its hard and strong and looks beautiful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 185 Tried Out for the Team image 153 Starters
    image 28 Were Cut image 0 Are Benched
  • i agree with not getting them done acrylic. it is uncomfortable (i rip them off after a day) and they muck up your nails for quite a while. mine grow quickly, so its no big thing. but for everyone else, it takes forever to recover.

get a great manicure. even if your nails are short, they can shape them and buff them and polish them so that they look amazing
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have to agree with the general view on acrylic nailes - they are terrible on your actual nails and when you take them off you can see the damage clearly.  I would recommend the gels or even just a nice regular manicure.  I wear nail polish all the time and really love the look of bright red polish on shorter nails.  It is a very modern updated look.

I am so glad that you feel welcome here.  My very best wishes to you in all of your exciting plans!  And kudos to your wife as well.  She must be a very open and loving woman.  You are very lucky to have each other!
  • Quick threadjack:  Can the shellac be used to lengthen your nails too or is it just to go over your regular nails as their current length?

OP: Go for it!  I think it'll look great.  Are you thinking of doing a french manicure at all? 
  • Yes, I definitely want to go with the french manicure.  I think that is such a pretty look.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards