Washington-Seattle
Options

um... no...

so this girl that i haven't talked to in YEARS, not even sure why she found me.. but anyway, she messaged me on FB saying this:
Omg! Congratulations to u & C! I haven't been on facebook for months. That's so exciting!!! Where r u gettn married @? Keep me posted please : )
My cell is xxx-xxx-xxx.
Wouldn't want 2 miss it!

UM SERIOUSLY???? I seriously haven't spoken to her in person since probably 2000..... I was friends with her in elementary school.

also, tons of people ask to come to my wedding all the time.. i am just going to ignore it but omg, crazy!

do you guys get that?

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!

Re: um... no...

• Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's crazy and rude! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    some people just really amaze me! FI's BM just got engaged recently and someone wrote on the wall of BM's FIe..."I REALLY hope I get an invite! Your going to be so beautiful. I wouldn't want to miss it!"
    It was so hard for me to NOT post something in response to it saying " UM HELLO!! RUDE!"...I would ignore it too.
    Steph and Brad 10-1-10

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken".
    See my bio!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    some people really like weddings I guess lol. That is pretty rude, I'd prolly just say "hey  its a small wedding for family and close friends, sorry" lol.
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL! Someone needs an Emily Post book for her brithday!
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not saying you shouldn't talke about your wedding on FB cause yours is local and lots bigger than mine, but because our is so small I don't talk much about it on FB b/c so few ppl who are FB friends aren't going to be invited.  As a result, I don't get many of these messages.

All you can do if they say this stuff in person is tell them thanks for their good wishes, and change the subject.  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know EXACTLY how you feel!  when my status changed to "enaged" 10 billion people comment, but there was 2 or 3 people that i dont really talk to  that made comments like "you are inviting me right?"   its just so rude, i would NEVER ask if i was invited, i'm pretty sure i'd figure it out if i didnt get an invite!  

I even had a co-worker stop me in the hall after she found out and said "are you inviting me?"  talk about wanting to crawl into a hole and die! lol im so bad at giving people answers they dont want to hear!  at least on FB u can just not reply lol
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yup, got that from someone I knew of in HS that I couldn't stand, actually.  In fact, been trying to distance myself from her for the past ten years, then she sends me a msgs on FB this week saying  basically "You're getting close to the wedding!  Send me your email so I can invite you to my son's bday party"  Umm....haven't been around you in 10 years (minus the time at the reunion), NEVER met your son who will be like 5 years old, soooo....yeah....

Oh, and then my BM who's visiting texted me earlier this week all excited to meet up wtih the girl (BM and I went to HS together)...HA!  No way, Jose!  I put the kibosh on inviting her to the dinner thing tonight.
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i have an idea. perhaps during the week that u send out invites, put your status on facebook as "Don't u hate it when people asked to be invited to your wedding" when ur friends are thanking u for the invite.

and blame it on bridezilla when people say ur being rude

perhaps that will deter some people.  although given the manners of most of these clueless people, it probably wouldn't.  Ah well.

Im kinda thankful that I am having my wedding 3,000 miles from where a live. I won't have to deal with that on a daily basis.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sara ummm so can I come to your wedding? Is that rude to ask??

HAHAHAH this is hilarious that people can actually be like this... I think maybe it comes from people who havent been married and understand just how expensive weddings are maybe? I think you have the right idea in ignoring it or just nicely say its just small intimate wedding.. good luck!! ;)
  • Options
    marksmartinimarksmartini member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why does it feel like you get engaged and people just come out of the woodwork?  Even my grandma gave me a list of people to invite.  Two of them I have never even met.  WTF?  She said they have heard about me my whole life and most of the people go to church with her.  She lives in Marysville and I don't live there or go to church where she does so I don't really know any of them.  Met a few at my grandpa's funeral a few years ago.  Not sure what to even say to her.  For the "friends" that invite themselves I just usually say we haven't even started putting together the guest list yet and I know we will be limited on our guest count... blah, blah.  Then just ask how they are and what's new with them.  LOL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Luckily, we haven't suffered to much of this yet. I have a friend, very casual, who is getting married this summer. I usually visit her when she's working because she works at the Benefit counter at Macy's, so then she does my makeup for free and we can chat and she won't get in trouble. I told her, "I don't expect to be invited to the wedding because we aren't that close and I know how expensive each additional guest is! So if you need some help with set-up or serving food, let me know so you don' t have to ask someone who would otherwise be a guest." They're on a tight budget and DIYing most of it. Poor girl, I don't think she was quite listening to me because she stammered out the typical, we haven't set our guest list yet, etc. LOL, I don't want an invite to her wedding as we'll be poor thanks to hopefully buying a house, so I was offering to be a server for her as a little help and gift.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been pretty lucky.  For the most part, people have assumed they are not invited (even the ones who are) and been very happy to talk about the wedidng w/o ever suggesting they'd be there.  I have one not-so-close friend who assumed she was invited, was a BM and even thought she was invited when the wedding was going to be family-only in Hawaii...but I will invite her b/c we have lots of mutual firends and it would be awkward not to.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    dreamwindsdreamwinds member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really hate people who invite themselves to my wedding. And it's always the people I am planning on inviting that don't want to presume and not say anything. It puts a sour spin on everything when people self-invite.
    imageLilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards