Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

packages....what to buy?

Hi everyone!
so i'm meeting with my first photographer on Friday and i'm really nervous. i've been trying to do my research and looking at their packages etc...but i just am having trouble deciding on what i "really" need.

so....i'm just trying to see the point and maybe someone can help enlighten me.

all the large prints, "family" albums, leatherbound memory books, guestbooks, other albums...kind of seem not important to me to buy from my photographer.

if i have the right to my photos, couldn't i just make my own prints and put them in my own albums?
am i being naive here? i truly am looking for guidance, so could someone help me please?
thank you!!! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: packages....what to buy?

• Angie.LapkovAngie.Lapkov member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    See if your photographer lets you design your own package, that's what we did, It might be a little bit more expensive that way. We're only getting DVD with all images and printing rights, she was flexible and i like that. I can make my own album, or buy it from her if i'd like later.

• forrma7forrma7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    good point angie....it's not like we have to buy all the albums right away.
    i'm just overwhelmed with the prices. i'm trying to see what i really really need. what is like, completely necessary to have a professional photographer do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Angie.LapkovAngie.Lapkov member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I understand!!! I've met with 3 photographers and one was just pushing albums, he said it was cheaper as a packaged deal, i don't know, i just didn't like that he was not letting us pick and choose. I would like to have a pro album, but they are expensive, so i might just save money and buy one when i'm ready. I can definitely make my own, and make one for my parents.

Good luck to you!
  • edited December 2011
    In my opinion, what's most important is the photography itself.....  everything else, well, that's just products right?  Focus (pardon the pun) on the photography...as that's the only thing that you can't address after the wedding....  albums and prints etc will all be there...  It seems that people tend to get too wrapped up in the "packages" rather than the quality of the photgraphy itself.....  One thing at a time... 
  • edited December 2011
    The only thing Necessary is coverage.  find a wedding photographer you LOVE.  Make sure you look through an entire album not just their best of reel.  Most photographers nowadays will allow you to have rights to the digital images.  If an album isnt incredibly important to you dont get one.  Keep in mind a few things though: 1 the very good photographers work with very good album companies...and those companies do not sell to anyone but photographers therefore in order to get that kind of quality album you have to order it through a photographer, it is not just about aesthetic appeal but also about the durability of the materials, you want your album to outlast you and look good when you are showing it to grandbabies too.  2nd there is a profound difference in image quality from a professional and commercial print lab.  Again there are "photographers" that i've seen order prints from snapfish and walmart, but if you have printing rights and a good photographer, order an 8x10 from them and one from your local print lab,  if they use a good lab like millers or white house custom color the print quality difference is astounding.  If you are into scrapbooking and creative on your own and want to create your own albums and prints I recommend www.mpix.com they are the consumer version photo lab of the professional photographers lab at Millers, their prices are comparable to walmart snapfish etc, and the quality difference is far worth the few extra cents.

Good luck and feel free to email me with any other photography questions at JessicaLark@MomentsbyLark.com
  • HaveAGoodDayHaveAGoodDay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you decide to get your images on CD or are considering making their own wedding album, take a look at ...

http://www.wedesignalbums.com

You provide the images (either upload online or mail a high resolution CD).  They will design a custom album for you.  Once you approve the final design, the images are printed, the album assembled and shipped directly to you.

These are not the magazine style pages, these are the hard mounted pages bound in a flushmount/coffee table style album.  You can choose from many sizes, colors and even an acrylic cover.  These are the same albums many photographers provide to their brides.

Everything is done here in the U.S., so the turn around time is 2-3 weeks total.  You can also call and talk to a real person if you have any questions.

You will not be disappointed!

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards