Chit Chat
Options

Law School vs Nursing School

Hello ladies... just needed some advice today. I"m currently a law enforcement officer in D.C.  I, however, am thinking about beginning a new career in law or nursing.

Law- 
 something I've always wanted to do. 
cost wayyyy to much money (100,000),
 no jobs guaranteed

Nursing-
a career helping people (kind of like what I do now)
cheaper on the pockets
sucky work schedule (like mine now)

Re: Law School vs Nursing School

• Options
    Nursing work schedules don't always have to suck depending on what area you work in. Of course starting out you will probably get the crappy shifts, but after you have some years of experience under your belt, more opportunities and good hours will open up.

I just graduated from college with a BS but I have decided I really want to be a nurse, so I'm hopefully starting nursing school next Jan. I don't know much about law, but I know one major perk of nursing is there is just so much you can do, there are numerous opportunities and flexibility with your degree. You could end up teaching, If you get tired of floor work or working within a certain field you can always switch. My mom is a nurse and she started out with psychiatric nursing at an institution, and then moved to geriatrics at a nursing home and ended up as the DON there, From there she taught a CNA class for a couple of years before deciding she really missed the floor and began working at another hospital in neuro, and now she is doing dialysis. So if your someone who likes to move around or gets bored doing the same thing its a really great field. Theres also so many opportunities to move up or further your education.
  • Options
    I'm a law student right now, and honestly, the job market is worrying me right now.  East coast law schools are even more expensive, so if you choose law school, you'll be loading up TONS of debt, and no guarantee that there will be a job to go into.  

I love law school, and I'm excited to practice.  As a law enforcement officer, you'll have an interesting insight into the legal field.  However, if I had to choose between law and another career I was equally interested in, I'm not sure the money aspect of it would make law the smart choice in this economy.  

If I was as interested in nursing as I was in law, I'd choose nursing right now.  They are in high demand, at least out here in AZ.  And I'd never pay the tuition that DC area law schools charge, its just so ridiculous.  

At the end of the day, both careers are equally stressful, just in different ways.  I guess it will come down to which you are more interested in.  Good luck!!
  • Options
    SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    The job market is definitely better and more stable for nurses than new attorneys.

But which are you more passionate about?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I'm a lawyer and my sister is a nurse.  She's been out of school for about a year, I've been out almost two.  She's employed, I'm looking.  She's an RN and only needed a BA.  With an MA, she can be an NP.  I had to spend a lot more time than that in school.  If I could do it over again, I would probably have done something else.  I love what I do, but with a mountain of debt and no clue how I'm going to start paying it, I'm thinking this wasn't a smart move.  
  • Options

thanks girls.. Yes, the job market is really what's tearing me apart.  I am going to have to pay back whatever loans I get to pay my total tuition. I'm not relying on scholarships or anything.  So, nursing does seem like  a wise decision... just gotta get law school images out of my head. hehehe

mynameisnot... I'm sorry to hear about your struggle in the job market. I really hope it gets better Smile

• Options
    I'm in nursing school now and FI just graduated in May and I have to say a lot of nurses still can't find jobs in some areas because of the economy. So don't just think because you always hear there is a shortage it's a guaranteed job, because right now it's not. So just think about that in your decision as well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I just graduated from nursing school in December. It is a LOT harder to find a job than most people think. Yes, there is a nursing shortage, and yes, if you have experience it's less difficult to find employment than most other fields. On the other hand, hospitals are also suffering in this economy, and many aren't able/willing to spend the money it takes to train new nurses, or scaling back on the number of new nurses they hire, so it's very competitive. Out of the 18 people in my program, 4 have jobs so far. One got a job at a hospital that got over 200 applications for 16 new graduate positions... not the kind of odds most people want to be against when seeking employment.

Also, a change is planned to be going into effect as of 2015 requiring a DNP instead of MSN to be a nurse practitioner. A lot of organizations are pushing for this change (although there's also a lot of opposition) but some universities are closing their master's programs in favor of the DNP, including the one I attended.

That being said, there really isn't any occupation that's easy to get into at this time. Nursing is really rewarding and I would recommend it to anyone who likes helping others. There are a lot of programs out there for people who already have degrees. The one I went through required at least a bachelor's degree and was a year long. You can also become an RN with an associate's degree through a community college. HTH. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    The job market for nursing is not what it used to be in the Northeast.  If you are willing to move to the midwest or the south, there is a huge shortage.  I work in a large hospital system outside of Philly and out of four hospitals, and about 5 out patient rehab/nursing homes, we have no openings for RNs.

I am not sure how the market is in DC, but you can always contact the HR departments in some local hospitals and see if they are hiring.

As far as the schedule goes, I work three 12s, always day shift.  Many hospitals let nurses pick their own schedules.  I personally love having four days off a week. 

Lastly, I love being a nurse, and it is very rewarding, but make sure your not going into it for the money/ job market. Lunches and breaks are not guarenteed. 
     I have been spit on, pooped on, had my butt grabbed by a 30 yr old, cursed at, and as a professional, it is my  job to not lose my cool.  Reimbursement from insurance companies is predicted to soon be based on patient satisfaction scores making nursing very costumer service oriented.

I have coded (performed CPR) on patients who have become friends.  As cac847 mentioned hospitals are being hit hard by the economy, and nurse patient ratios can be fairly high as a result.  Yesterday I hadtwo patients going bad at the same time, another one stalking me down the hall for discharge papers, my demented old man trying to climb over the side rails and then four other patients who I was all but ignoring trying to deal with everyone else. 

I know it sounds like I hate nursing, which can't be further from the truth.  I love my career.  Families and patients look to me to be their advocate and friend in times of immense fear and confusion.  It is challenging and everyday is never like the one before.  Just make sure you go into it with eyes wide open.
  • Options
    I'm a law student now.  There are very few jobs out there.  Half my class is still unemployed for the all-important 2L summer.  It's a bad time to be a law student.

Only go if you honestly, truly, deep-down want to be a lawyer.  Not because you don't know what else to do, or because you think it's a shortcut to a high-paying job.  If you really want to be a lawyer, go.  If you are thinking of going for any other reason, it may not be a good idea.

PM me if you want to talk in more detail about it.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    I am a lawyer and I have to agree with Bablingbrook - only go to law school if you are 100% positive you want to be a lawyer. It's hard work, expensive, and there just aren't any guarantees with regards to jobs. The best advice I can give if you do decide to go to law school would be to go to a state school . You will appreciate not having as much date as compared to a private school.

I am lucky to have a job but after two years, I am already looking to get out of the field. ILike some PP, if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have gone to law school.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_law-school-vs-nursing-school?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:17344da2-d6a1-4a1f-a2d8-d536e2c99a2bPost:bb2332eb-94de-4e9d-b1e0-9e65b4a0b4db">Law School vs Nursing School</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello ladies... just needed some advice today. I"m currently a law enforcement officer in D.C.  I, however, am thinking about beginning a new career in law or nursing.  Law-   something I've always wanted to do.  cost wayyyy to much money (100,000),  no jobs guaranteed Nursing- a career helping people (kind of like what I do now) cheaper on the pockets sucky work schedule (like mine now)       
    Posted by CaptiolBride[/QUOTE]

If you're equally driven towards both of them, I'd suggest nursing.  Nursing pays well and nurses are in high demand. I know of several nurses that work in Florida in the winter and then find another nursing job wherever they want to spend the summer.

My daughter is an attorney and she'd be thrilled if her debt only amounted to $100,000.  It's very expensive and there aren't many jobs right now so if you aren't 100% committed to the legal field, I wouldn't go into it.
  • Options
    I am not an RN yet, I am in my third year of a 4 year Bachelor's program. I honestly love nursing so far! It is wonderful. However, just be sure you are passionate about it. The schooling is challenging, and the work is even moreso. I would highly recommend nursing though, although my opinion is biased ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for ALL the lovely lovely insight. It has helped soooooo much. :)
  • Options
    My FI and I are both in Law school, and I have worked in hospitals.  At the moment jobs are hard to get, and both involve long hours and hard work.  From what I've seen, nurses get almost no respect, even though they do much of the work and should get the respect of those around them.  People are jerks to nurses, the doctors, the patents, the patient families.  Frankly I could not handle the work or the way nurses are treated, it takes a special kind of person to put up with that and care for people that much.  At the same time, young lawyers work hard, and getting a job is difficult.  In the end, if you really want to be one or the other, that is what you should do, but if not, you might want to think about yourself and your goals before doing either.  They both cost a lot and can lead to a hard life if you don't love your work.  I could never be a nurse, I'm not that amazing, but I wouldn't recommend law school if it wasn't what you really wanted.  
  • Options
    I am a nurse in the DC area, I have been a nurse for 6 years and currently work in the Neonatal Intensive Care unit....I can tell you DC hospitals ARE hiring, for sure!! I love my job, my hours are kinda of crazy but I only work 3 days a week ;) nice for traveling where as my friends work 5 days a week....ewwwww. I am excited to go to work knowing the patients I get to work with. If you are interested in law you can become a legal nurse consultant....they work with law offices to review medical cases and are hired on as needed basis. It's the best of both worlds.I recommend. I am 27 and look forward to doing this for the next 30 years...I wish you only the best!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards