Hawaii

Avoid AQUA Hotels and Resports for Wedding Night Accomodations

Hi Ladies :)  Sorry, this is really long, but I wanted to warn brides thinking of and/or staying at the AQUA hotels for their pre- and/or wedding night.  Will post an "official" review once things calm down, but our expereince was SO bad, had to give everyone a heads up.

In April I worked with the AQUA marketing department to book a group block and  wedding accomodations, since we were taking getting ready pix, I toured the properties and booked our pre- and wedding night accomodations.  I asked that a note be placed in our record indicating that it was very important to stay in the room reserved (all rooms are owned by different owners, thus look different).  No problems there.  I call to confirm a month in advance, everything is good.  I get an email to confirm a week out, everything is good.  I call three days prior to confirm, everything is good.

1015 a.m. the day we are checking in (checkin is at 3) I get a call from the front desk employee Fe (on her cell) telling me the room we reserved was not available. The owner of the room decided to extend their stay so ... I got bumped out and no longer could stay in the room that was reserved SIX months in advance. You would think they would tell you when booking the owner can show up at any time and kick guests out right? (Later the GM emailed and said she was new so told me that was the policy, but after researching that is not the policy i.e. lied) However to make up she was happy to offer us $100.... seriously, you are stressing me out and ruining the day before the wedding and you offer me $100?! 

It took us an hour to check in since no one at the hotel communicates with each other, then we were up until 11 having to keep calling back the front desk since there was a shift change (situation NOT passed on so we had to keep checking) as supposedly the owners were checking out at 10.  Again found out this was a lie or "un-truth" as they liked to refer to it.

After our wedding, we come back and ask for bell assistance.  The security guard Bruce comes out with the cart makes my husband load everything onto the cart, then puts it in the elevator and says "you can take this up right?"  Hello.. I’m in my wedding dress so no, I can’t take this up.  He rolls is eyes at me (husband is parking the car) gets in the elevator and when we get to our floor pushes the cart out of the elevator leaving it there for me to push to our room.  He promptly gets back into the elevator and leaves.  Classy.

At the end of everything we did get our entire stay comped, but I really had to fight for it.  I even had to call back a week after our stay since my credit cards had not been credited. 

I could go on and on, but the bottom line – fine hotel if you don’t care which room you’re in (beware showers leak, thin walls and the only parts of the hotel have been renovated), not bad location… however DO NOT book if your stay is for an important occasion. 

Re: Avoid AQUA Hotels and Resports for Wedding Night Accomodations

• AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh no!  I'm so sorry you had to go through this!  I didn't realize that the Aqua properties were individually owned units, that is such crap that you had your reservations and they backed out on the specific room.  I mean I understand that the owner was there, but you'd think the owner would understand that a wedding couple booked the room and had been planning on it for months. 
    It sounds like there is a lot of incompetance at this place - no Aqua properties for me & FI - thank you for sharing your experience - and CONGRATS MRS.!!!
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Oh that's terrible! That's a real bummer about the owner -  it's not like there's anything anyone can do anything about what they choose to do with their room. Out of curiosity, which Aqua hotel was it? I know a lot of the previous knotties really loved the hotels (for price more than anything - I know one of them is on a street that's a hot spot for prostitues).
  • dianab0237dianab0237 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, what hotel did you stay at? We booked group discounts with Park Shore Waikiki and Ilikai Hotel. I've stayed at Park Shore before and I loved it. The room wasn't anything special, but for the price and location, it was worth it.
  • mocha beansmocha beans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_avoid-aqua-hotels-resports-wedding-night-accomodations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:1d7aa0a9-edba-459e-b7c1-92e81c3e25e5Post:cece0d7c-d59c-4b3c-9173-91fb07703fa0">Re: Avoid AQUA Hotels and Resports for Wedding Night Accomodations</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh that's terrible! That's a real bummer about the owner -  it's not like there's anything anyone can do anything about what they choose to do with their room. Out of curiosity, which Aqua hotel was it? I know a lot of the previous knotties really loved the hotels <strong>(for price more than anything - I know one of them is on a street that's a hot spot for prostitues).</strong>
    Posted by kaesha[/QUOTE]

That would probably be the Waikiki Wave on Kuhio.  That's where we stayed, and my god, there were not less than a dozen different hookers to be seen each night.  One of them had FI/DH pushed up against a wall, insisting he wasn't there to get married.  They're pushy, man.

So, yeah, I wouldn't highly recommend it, but I wouldn't say to stay far away either.  I guess I'd give it 3/5 stars.  The staff was definitely very friendly, but their building has issues.  One of the two elevators was broken the whole time we were there, and the other one was slow, so it took forever to get from the top floor to the bottom.  The electricity went out twice, hot water was out on the wedding day (we were lucky and took 6 am showers), and the toilet was screwy in our room so it had this slight constant sewer smell.  But the room was overall nice and clean and cheap.  It worked.  Next time, I think we'll rent a house or condo so we can cook and save a bit of money.
  • edited December 2011
    Sweet Bejeebuz! It sounds like they`ve really gone downhill in the past year or so.

I can`t believe your husband was so forcefully accosted by a hooker! That`s nuts!
  • 55pawsh55pawsh member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We stayed at the Aqua Bamboo on Kuhio a little further down from the Wave, but I've heard about the hookers @ the Wave and Mocha, your expereince is unfortunately too common :(

I really wanted to like the place, they're trying hard and location is pretty good... but I guess when I comes down to it, you get what you pay for.  Thanks for the sympathy girls, it was such a horrible expereince and I hope no one has to go through it.  Like Mocha said though, its a fine place to stay for the price... just don't trust them for important occasions.
  • jjsmilebigjjsmilebig member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh wow... what a horrible experience!   So sorry to hear that!  We were just going to call them this week about booking a group discount, but I'm not so sure anymore.  Does anyone have other suggestions for hotels to look into for group rates?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards