Not Engaged Yet

Hair - highlighting???

Do you highlight/lowlight/color your hair?

How often?

How much $$ do you allot towards it?

Do you do it yourself or get it done at a salon?

I used to highlight, and now my color has totally grown out. It's more for $$ reasons than liking it better. But I think I want to be a bit blonder for wedding pictures because I think it brightens up my face.

NOW:

OLD PIC: (sorry, i don't have many old pics on FB with old hair. It's been a while)

Re: Hair - highlighting???

• edited December 2011
    I love your NOW look.  I think that the darker hair makes your blue eyes pop. 

I think that if you get highlights, they should be really thin and just a couple. 

I do color my hair.  I get some highlights and an all-over color wash to deal with my grays.  I pay about $200 and get it done every 12 weeks or so.  Speaking of...  I need to make an appt before the baby shower.

• edited December 2011
    both

How often?
    I try to do it ever 6 to 8 weeks.  try being the operative word here.

$50 for a cut and color.

A friend of mine who works in a salon does it out of her home for me.  Its $35 for the cut and color but I tip her $15.
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • loopy82loopy82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The last thing I did was all over color, with the wedding coming up I didn't want like 50 (ok maybe a bit of an exaggeration) colors in my hair from repeated highlights, because I like to change it up so there is usually a lot of shades of blonde, red (becuase anytime I get any color in my hair, my hair or the color pulls out the red in my hair) and brown in my hair.

How often?
    about twice a year. I am lazy and cheap when it comes to doing my hair.

It usually costs me about $100 for cut and color.

Oh a salon most definitely!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't colored my hair in YEARS.  But I think I'm getting to the point where I need to - can you believe I'm ALREADY finding gray hairs?!  Either way, I do need a seriously good hair cut - I still have to find a good place to go down here..

As far as yours... I kind of like the NOW better too.  Although maybe a few highlights would be nice - nothing over dramatic though, I think you have great hair color!
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm naturally blond, but it's a dark shade. In the winter I highlight it and in the summer I let it do what ever the sun wants. I'm thinking about dying it brown, but not likely before the wedding. I have to figure out if I want to lighten it a lot before the wedding, but it should be pretty light by sept if I spend any time in the sun.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never colored my hair.  I like my hair color and I'm afraid if I try anything I'll ruin it.  Plus all of my sisters have gray hairs already but if I have them too, my hair color hides them very well.

I also like the way you look right now.  It does make your eyes stand out and I think your skin is warmer.  I think most people (except really truly natural blondes) look better with darker hair.  Although, your old picture is a little fuzzy for me so it's hard to tell.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I like your NOW hair. It's shiny and pretty and complements your skin and eyes.

I think I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't like brown hair with blonde highlights, though. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    I like you with darker hair. However, highlights photograph really well. I'd suggest getting a few thin ones throughout since you're wearing your hair up for the wedding. Just accent highlights, not overwhelming BLONDE all over.

I usually, as a normal person, get color and highlights. I like to dye my hair bright red and have bright blonde highlights and maybe some dark brown lowlights through it.

Since getting engaged, I thought I better tone it down for pictures. I went back to my natural ash-brown first, then didn't like it. So I had my colorist warm it up with a nice warm red/brown and a few little highlights through it. She toned the whole thing with warm brown, so the highlights aren't blonde.

I spend somewhere between $100-$120 for color and highlights every 3 months-ish. I only get it cut every 6 months or so.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

I do all over color whenever I'm bored
    I usually get highlights in the summer

How often?
    Every few months and highlight usually every 6 weeks until I get tired of them.

It's about $50/visit but I just get the highlights and no cut unless it comes with.

All over I do by myself but highlights I have a professional do those.

I like your hair now! If you did highlights I wouldn't go too many shades lighter than your natural color.

imageimageimageimage
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that your hair is very flattering as the color it is now. It's such a nice warm color.
  • edited December 2011

I also agree that the color you have now looks great! However, if you do want to add any color a light brown, maybe not quite blonde, could give it some more depth and color. I don't highlight my hair only because its not all one color on its own people think I highlight but I get very red streaks in the summer with light brown mixed in...normally my hair is very dark  brown...but I'm just boring like that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow thanks guys! You made me feel better.

I may see where the next month in the sun gets me. And then maybe get a few subtle highlights. I would be shooting for more of a gold color than a blonde I guess.
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kat I love your dark hair!! But the highlights look lovely as well!

I color my hair at home once every 8-10 weeks.  I've had white (like pure white, no grey) since I was 12 years old.  It's bizzare but I deal.  I'm actaully getting my hairs did (cut) next weekend and I was thinking about talking to her about some highlights of some type. 

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hair-highlighting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a7ea849e-a0f9-463d-93e3-e9e891f9bf81Post:619084b2-29fa-4b8c-809b-6ba0e71b7f4d">Re: Hair - highlighting???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kat I love your dark hair!! But the highlights look lovely as well! I color my hair at home once every 8-10 weeks.  I've had white (like pure white, no grey) since I was 12 years old.  It's bizzare but I deal.  I'm actaully getting my hairs did (cut) next weekend and I was thinking about talking to her about some highlights of some type. 
    Posted by PaigeMcC[/QUOTE]

Paige, I know a few people who had that.  One guy only had it partially and a woman who lived down the street from me growing up was like that from the time she was a teen... neither dyed their hair though... I think I would dye it myself. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MeShell1313MeShell1313 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dye my hair an all over color now (red!) but I've done just about everything with my hair at some point: dyed, lowlighted, highlighted, bleached etc
    I try to do it every 2-3 months but sometimes things get busy and my roots get out of control.
    I do mine myself, mostly 'cause I'm poor, followed by the fact that I've been dying my hair since I was 13 that I've got just as much experiance as most pros, if not more.
    I get my stuff from Sally Beauty Supply so I spend maybe $15-20 each time. Last time I went to a salon it cost $95 for cut & color.

I like your hair now but if you were going to get highlights I would go for a lighter shade of brown or a dark blond just to brighten up your look and give your color some depth. I like it when highlights look more natural than when their super obvious.
  • paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    LOVE your hair the color it is now.

I do highlights. I go once every 8-12 weeks. Cut and color in DC used to cost me $250, plus tip.

In my new town - no where midwest - it's $90. Woo hoo!
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Paint-- When do we get to see you? I'm dying to have a face to go with the hilarity.
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My hair has been every color of the rainbow (except green), and I've done 99% of it myself. I've had it highlighted twice by a professional, once two years ago for $100 (I brought my own purple dye) and this year for about $150 (stylist provided the toner). Even when the stylist did it, I ended up re-toning it because it came out too red.

My hair is fairly long (a few inches above my waist) so I just let the highlights grow out and slap some demi-permanent color over all of it.  My hair is very dark brown, but my stylist has a tendency to bleach the highlights too light (like bright yellow!). I'm actually due for a touch up...the hair is looking stripy again and I've got a few 1/2" long strands of grey. Frown

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards