Rhode Island
Options

Getting married and 6 months and can't find a location!

Hey, I am getting married October 10, 2010 and am having a hard time finding an outdoor location that is in our price range. We are looking for somewere we can get married outside and possibly a tent reception. We are looking to pay no more than 20.00 pp for dinner because we are on a really tight budget.There are going to be maybe 60 to 70 people coming.  Anyone have any ideas? I fell in love with Diamond hill vineyards but they are not open in october and my parents will be out of the country in september so it is not an option :( .  Thank you all very much in advance for any help you can give me :) I am hoping we don't have to push back the wedding AGAIN!
83image 6image 0 image

Re: Getting married and 6 months and can't find a location!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You might have a REALLY difficult time.  10-10-10 is a super popular date, which some venues have had booked years in advance.  That being said, have you thought about a park or family member's home?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Colt State Park?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Never heard of colt state park.  I have thought about my grandparents yard its amazing but my grandmother doesn't like people in her house. It took almost 3 years to let my aunts friend in, they aways sat on the deck lol.  I found a local hall that is pretty nice and allows you to do pretty much anything to the hall and it is 12.99 a person and there food is amazing! With no hall fees. This also includes the toast, dishes, set up , clean up , cake cutting fee , and linens there was a few other things too.  the parking kind of stinks but I think it will be  alright because of street parking and the party store down stairs wont be open. They also offer 25% off invitations.
    83image 6image 0 image
  • Options
    kathanddavekathanddave member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married under a tent at Fort Adams State Park on the North Lawn where the Jazz Festival is held.  Very inexpensive, great location!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Keep in mind that it's not very warm in RI in October, having an outdoor wedding and reception isn't very practical unless you're getting a tent with walls and heaters (and even then older guests will probably be uncomfortable)

I booked my venue in December for 10-10-10 and up until I called my venue the first time, every other place I called was already booked...good luck....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    GEL0153GEL0153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck! I wanted that date but every1 I knew picked it so I changed mine. My dad is the potantate at the shriners and I know they do a great job and have good prices. I don't know if they are booked for that date but you can try. Its The Rhode Island Shriners in cranston. 
  • Options
    AngieP900AngieP900 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You kind of screwed yourself for this. 10/10/10 has been booked very far in advance, and unfortunately $20 per person is almost impossible, unless you try to hire a couple JWU students, and even then it might be hard.
    I don't know if you have any money in your budget for a venue, but here are a couple ideas I have for you. You can go on homeaway.com and try to rent a beach house for a week (some rent nightly) and try to get a small private caterer or students to make the food. You could have it later in the evening and just have heavy apps. There is also the Edgewood Yacht Club which is about $700 to rent.
    Or Spain in Narrgansett does day weddings, there is no cost for the venue, and it is maybe 45 - 50 pp (and I think booze is included).
    You could make the guest list friends and immediate family, have a small ceremony and take everyone to a dinner afterward.
    Or, you could always just take your honeymoon and get married there. If people come they come.
    For less then ten cents a day, you can feed a hungry child.
  • Options
    chixfilachixfila member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was also going to suggest Spain in Narragansett.  I got married there last year.  We were married outside on the patio and had the reception right there.  It's a prefect venue for a smaller wedding. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Colt State Park would fit what you want, but I agree it's cold in October.  They just built a new covered gazebo, walking distance from the gorgeous Outdoor Chapel which has a view of the bay.  It's incredibly cheap - not sure what their agreements are for weddings, but we're going to rent the gazebo for the day-after for a barbecue for less than $200.

As far as catering goes, I second the idea of asking J&W students - it will be much cheaper.  However, they won't have a liquor license.  Talk to caterers and restaurants to see if they can help you out - sometimes making small changes can save big money.  Give them your budget, and ask what they could do with it.  They might surprise you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards