Registry and Gift Forum

Friends are getting married in a private ceremony

Our friends are getting married in a week in a private ceremony that we were not invited to. they only have about 30 people going to their ceremony. They say they are having their reception this summer. Would we get them a gift now? or just wait to hear about their upcoming reception?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Friends are getting married in a private ceremony

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_friends-getting-married-private-ceremony-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:1df4b026-51a7-41ed-be45-fb8ba8153524Post:6589de5b-ccd3-4aca-a161-573940f21e7c">Friends are getting married in a private ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our friends are getting married in a week in a private ceremony that we were not invited to. they only have about 30 people going to their ceremony. They say they are having their reception this summer. Would we get them a gift now? or just wait to hear about their upcoming reception?
    Posted by kbroth01[/QUOTE]
    It's really up to you.  I'd probably just get them something now, but if you'd prefer to wait until their possible reception next year, then do that.

Why are they having their private ceremony (I think 30 people is a bit much for a private ceremony) now and then possibly having a reception next summer?  That is weird.
  • For me, it would depend how close they are to me.  If they are really close, I'd probably get them something small now and then a larger present at their reception.

however:  if we were really close I'd also be pretty bummed to not be invited to the ceremony (unless it is family only, but agree that 30 people is a lot for a private ceremony).  In which case I might not get them a present until the reception.  Maybe a card now.
  • I would get them a gift for the reception, if you are invited to that.

• The guy joined the air force back in August and they were going to have a wedding in August 2011, but are running into problems with not being married and living together in the military so they are getting married now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Would you get them a gift if you weren't invited to the wedding/celebration? If so, you can get something now, if not, wait until (or if) you get an invite to the celebration.
  • I would wait until you are invited to the reception.
  • I think you're fine either way. If you wanted to so a small gift now, it could be something small like a bottle of wine or inexpensive picture frame to wish them well. If you wanted to give a larger gift later, you can. Or if you want, do a larger gift now and do a bottle of wine, etc. later if you felt you had to bring something to a later reception.  If you want to give a gift, give a gift.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards