Chit Chat

any wines under $10?

my wedding is in may of this year, 2012. its really small and i dont want to spend lots of money for wines or drinks perios.. help!

Re: any wines under $10?

• The Barefoot line is both low-priced and reasonably tasty.
  • Have you thought of make your own? My dad made ours for our wedding. Just went to the make your own wine store and they are making it there. I am not sure of the actual cost, but I believe it is only a few dollars a bottle. Then you can also make your own label with your wedding date.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_any-wines-under-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:859e8dfc-0a35-4178-8c5e-b3882fdce088Post:cf2bcbc5-c345-43fc-9bfb-56458da1e6aa">Re: any wines under $10?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Barefoot line is both low-priced and reasonably tasty.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

<div>I second this :) </div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited March 2012
    Barefoot is good, and so is the cupcake line, which is under $10 a bottle.

As far as making your own wine goes, there's a lot of time and equipment that goes into truly making it yourself (I've never made it  at a wine store).  FI and I are going to start making our own after our wedding, his parents used to make it all the time but have stopped since they stopped drinking (his dad has diabetes now, so he has to lay off alcohol).  Anyhoo, there is a pretty significant startup cost as far as getting all the fruit you need, and equipment if you do it at home.

Costco will also let you return any unopened bottles of wine, so it's NBD if you have extra.

ETA:  If your wedding is in May, you'd be really hard pressed to get homemade wine in time.  It usually takes about 2 months to produce a batch of wine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Costco, Trader Joes, and Grocery Outlet have many great choices under $10 (my favorite is a red blend Chariot Gypsy from Trader Joes for $5).  Costco has 1.5 liter bottles for $8-$9.  Most grocery stores will do a 10% discount if you buy 6 or more bottles.
  • I'd like to third the Barefoot suggestion.  I've tried many different varieties and they are all good.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Most of the Mondavi Woodbridge wines are about $12 for a mag.  They really are pretty good.
    I've tried Cupcake & liked it a lot.  White zin is swill even if you buy the highest end.
  • Barefoot is wonderful for the price, but Ive been drinking Menage a trois lately, by Follie a deux. I drink the California red and they have a White as well. The price in the Houston area is about 7-9 dollars a bottle, and it's yummy. It's between a dry and a sweet, kind of figgy. 

My rich, rich, rich cousin drinks it daily and serves it a her parties. She was the one who recommended it to me, as I drink at least 2 glasses a day.

If they have this in your area, get a bottle of the red and white and try it for yourself.

Hope this helps!!!
  • If you don't have a Costco or Trader Joe's, try World Market (if yours stocks wine, I know certain states don't allow that). You can become a member of their "club" (it's free, you just sign up using e-mail and a phone number--they've never called me, but I get sale e-mails) and get 10% off each bottle if you buy four or more. They do sales sometimes on specific varieties (like sparkling or Italian) where you can get 20% off. Also, maybe talk to your local grocery (mine does 10% off 6 or more bottles) or talk to your liquor store. A lot of places will order by the case for you and then give you a discount. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_any-wines-under-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:859e8dfc-0a35-4178-8c5e-b3882fdce088Post:5a7d555f-9acb-489c-91a7-aa104c9c588f">Re: any wines under $10?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Barefoot is wonderful for the price<strong>, but Ive been drinking Menage a trois lately, by Follie a deux. I drink the California red and they have a White as well.</strong> The price in the Houston area is about 7-9 dollars a bottle, and it's yummy. It's between a dry and a sweet, kind of figgy.  My rich, rich, rich cousin drinks it daily and serves it a her parties. She was the one who recommended it to me, as I drink at least 2 glasses a day. If they have this in your area, get a bottle of the red and white and try it for yourself. Hope this helps!!!
    Posted by Lizzieyounce[/QUOTE]
    I also love these!
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Moscato is a really good wine...Its got a sweet taste to it, but it is absolutely delicous and I am not a big wine drinker. Barefoot makes it as well. I got some today on sale actually for 2 for 9 dollars, so It can be cheap if you look for the sale price. Moscato is going to be one of the main wines at my wedding, and also my champagne toast because I cant stand champagne ;)

Best of luck Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards