Wedding Etiquette Forum

Invites per person, or household?

I know the rule of thumb is 1 invite per person over the age of 18, but what if a large amount of family members live in 1 house?

FI's 2 aunts, 2 uncles, gma, and 5 cousins all live under 1 roof and all are over the age of 18 AND in relationships or married, does 1 invite per couple apply to this as well?

We are ordering our invites this week, and like i said i know what you are "suppose" to do, but was unsure with this many people.

Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and I don't live to be. But, before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. -Bob Marley

Re: Invites per person, or household?

• it really does seem ridiculous lol

Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and I don't live to be. But, before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. -Bob Marley

• They are in the next town over, I was honestly thinking of getting one of those padded envelopes from the post office and putting them all in there, but then having the actual invites inside addresses to each person.

• We have the same situation with a couple of families on our guest list. The only family we are not sending individual invitations to is FI's aunt. Her & her husband have 5 children, all over the age of 18, who still live at home. One of which has a SO, the others do not. She told us to PLEASE not waste the paper & postage to send each of them their own invitation. She said she will write on the RSVP card which kids can make it & which of them will be bringing dates. Good enough for me!

So, unless they say something about not sending them all their own invitation, I would go ahead & do it. But yes, I agree that it seems a bit ridiculous.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My thoughts as well, i'll just do that then, knowing my luck I would get so used to writing that address so many times that i would end up writing it on more invites than needed lol

• I'd definitely do separate invites. I always thought it seemed ridiculous, but now that I've done it, I realize it makes returning the RSVP cards easier. Each person/social unit should really get their own RSVP. Otherwise they'd need to try fit all 10 people on that tiny card. Keeps things a lot more streamlined to have it separated.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • i'd do separate as well.  There is no way to be sure Aunt #1 shows cousin #17 and someone may get missed accidentally.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm sending one invite per household as we're not inviting children to the wedding or reception, which makes the number invited per household less than 3.  On the response cards, we have a field for one putting their names as opposed to just checking off "attending" or "not attending."  I'm not one to follow traditions unless there's a practical reason why I should.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI's family insists one invite per family, regardless of living situation. I laughed at them. How the heck am I supposed to keep it straight who is invited (ie their babies are not) and who is coming? It does seem a bit crazy, but I'd send one per social unit. How big is this house, anyway?
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards