Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Four Seasons

FI and I toured the Four Seasons. We loved it. Want to compare to Ritz-Carlton and a few others. Any thoughts? Has anyone been to a wedding t either of these venues?

Re: Four Seasons

• edited December 2011
    I know someone getting married at the Four Season and while she is very happy with her decision she said they snuck in extra charges after they signed which she is not happy about at all.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • edited December 2011
    I've heard the same as jelybean. Someone I know is having their wedding at the Four Seasons and she said they keep adding charges on top of what she already considered ridiculously expensive. She loves the venue but has gone way over her intended budget. I've never been to a wedding at the Ritz Carlton but my bro-in law had his at the Society Hill Sheraton and it was pretty, nice location in the city - plus, they negotiated with them on pricing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Now I am nervous. Do you knowwhat kind of extra charges?  I really wanted my guests to enjoy the food. THey have so many options. THis is the main reason I may choose the Four Seasons.
  • lauren123455lauren123455 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely check out the Loew's, too....I thought it was just as nice as Four Seasons, but I loved that every single thing that we asked about was included in the price, and the catering director assured us that there will be no hidden charges tacked on later.  We contracted for a minimum food and beverage amount, and he said that if we don't meet it with our head count, they'll find a way to make it up (with a martini bar, brunch the next day, etc....anything we'd want so that we're not just paying them and not receiving things).

The Ritz was really nice, too, but the ballroom is down in the basement, which I felt sort of weird about.  IT was pretty, don't get me wrong, but I just felt weird going down.  They also seemed like there could be hidden charges, but that was only my initial impression.

The Sofitel is also very nice, but I thought their ballroom was a little boring in comparison to Loews, and the packages were almost identical.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't been to weddings at either, but my favorite restaurant in the entire world is at the Ritz Carlton.  It's called 10 Arts, and Jen Carroll from Top Chef is the executive chef there.  I love her.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't get into specifics with her about the extra charges. All I know is she is having a ceremony & Sunday brunch there for 50 people for what I am paying for 150 people in another CC location on a Saturday night.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • SteveandKrisSteveandKris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't like that the view from the Loews was just another building... ballroom on the 2nd floor, i'd rather not have windows...
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well the Loews has a second, interior windowless ballroom, which is very nice, too.  And the shades can be drawn in the Millenium ballroom so that it looks more like a traditional ballroom.  I really like the windows, though.  I know it's not the more picturesque view, but I think it gives the room character so that it's noit just an ordinary boring ballroom.  And the view from the 33rd floor where cocktail hour will be is just breathtaking.  I'm certainly excited for my wedding there.  But I can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have been to the Loews but it seems impersonable. They have so many rooms for events. I am going to keep looking.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, it's tough picking a place. I don't know the details regarding the additional fees, I didn't feel it was my place to ask. But if you really like the Four Seasons, maybe just settle on a revenue minimum - or put something in the contract so that additional fees CANT be added on (unless you want to make additions, of course.) I can't really be of much help of other city venues. I looked at rustic/historic places. But I have quite a few friends with Center City weddings coming up. If I talk to them, I'll be sure to give you some input!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Take a look at the Westin too. The ballroom there is really nice. Are you looking specifically for a hotel ballroom?
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I was looking I found that most ballrooms seemed sort of "impersonal", until you picture it (or look at pictures if you're unimaginative like I am) of the room done up with your own personal touch.  And a room can look totally different when set up for a corporate affair versus a personal one.  I've been to events at the Four Seasons set up for meeting space, and it seemed boring.  Then I've been to parties in the Four Seasons ballrooms, and it's fantastic.  Likewise with the Loews.  I've been to meetings in the ballroom where I'll be married and never would have guessed that I'd love it as a wedding venue.  But when I started looking at photos of the space dressed up how I'd want it dressed up, it became awesome to me. 

Another important thing to consider is the person that you're working with at these hotels and how responsive they are.  Aside from loving the spaces at the Loews, the catering director seemed like someone that we'd all love to work with - which was a big draw.  Not to super push Loews, but despite having a lot of meeting spaces there, they typically only do one wedding per night.

If you're considering Four Seasons, maybe take a look at Rittenhouse Hotel, too?  I think they were somewhat comparably priced.  And if your wedding is smaller, Le Meridian is really nice, too.  They max at like 100-120, I think.  And Starr just opened up a new ballroom, which looks very nice as well (and you get stations set up from the different Starr restaurants!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I did not realize that Stephen Starr has the Arts Ballroom. I will start a new post for that.

I saw the Rittenhouse Hotel and was not impressed with the catering manager.

Starr might be an interesting one.
  • edited December 2011
    My wedding is taking place at the Westin and so far Stewart has been great. You can definitely upgrade your menu options. An acquiantance of mine had hers there and they actually had seven carts of sweets come around to the tables. Anything can be done and if you're already looking at something expensive, might as well go all out.
  • edited December 2011
    I toured the Westin. Great location and space. I think I will have a final decision next week. Congratulations on your choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards