Not Engaged Yet

Thoughts?Suggestions?

Question for you ladies: Boss Man laid off the other girl in the office yesterday "Temporarily" he says - since money is REALLY tight, more tight than I've ever seen it in the 4 years I've been here. He kept saying through the whole discussion with her that he REALLY wants her to come back, and that this is only a temporary thing - he is thinking 2-4 weeks.

I'm leaving on Friday for Philly, and Boss Man's wife is coming in to cover while I'm gone. I'm REALLY nervous about what I'm going to be coming back to. Without fail, every time I go on vacation - shiiiiit hits the fan.

I had every intention of coming home and telling Boss Man that I am trying to move out of state, that way if potential employers call doing background checks, he wouldn't be blindsided. But now, since I'm a salaried employee - and get paid more than the other office girl, I am worried that he will just say Eff it, and fire me.

I still want to be upfront with him, and let him know where I'm at - but I also want to make sure I'm doing the smart thing.
Suggestions? Options? Thoughts? Emotional Outbursts?

I know this got a little long,  but I've been stewing over this all night. TIA ladies!!

Re: Thoughts?Suggestions?

• When I was applying for a new paralegal job with corporations rather than law firms I had to fill out an actual app and send in my resume. The app asked if they could contact your employer, I put no as if my boss found out, I would be fired. Companies know that and respect that some people do still have jobs but are just looking for an advancement or just something different in general and wont risk the applicant their current job during the application process.

I would wait to say something to bossman.

• I would really wait on saying something to bossman.  I would be concerned about being fired and then not having any income.  I am not sure how far along you are in apply to other jobs, I don't remember if you said you have any interviews lined up yet or have even applied for other jobs but you may get a new job next week, or it may take a few months.

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_thoughtssuggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:71296741-1972-4933-8b60-888017c3e914Post:c3197ed2-1872-48ea-8a49-2954b043987f">Re: Thoughts?Suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I was applying for a new paralegal job with corporations rather than law firms I had to fill out an actual app and send in my resume. The app asked if they could contact your employer, I put no as if my boss found out, I would be fired. Companies know that and respect that some people do still have jobs but are just looking for an advancement or just something different in general and wont risk the applicant their current job during the application process. I would wait to say something to bossman.
    Posted by Stina51286[/QUOTE]

This is a post and run...

I agree with this.  Illinois is an at will state which means they don't need a whole lot to fire you.  Is Michigan, too?  Even if you have the greatest job/boss in the world they have to cover their a## at the end of the day and protect their job.  So protect yours, too.

When you get a new job is when you can be nice and help your boss transition for the next employee for your position.  With layoffs they don't need a reason to question anything you do.  Even if your work is exemplary.
    photo bridalparty.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • RWS2011RWS2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Not much to add other than I completely agree with PP.  Wait to tell your employer, and make sure prospective employers know you would rather they not contact your current employer.  Good luck on the job hunt!

• My biggest issue is that the greatest reference I have, is my boss. I've learned the most here, done the most wide range of tasks and really gained the most experience by working here. I agree with you ladies, bf had been pushing me to tell boss man i'm not happy and I've been looking at moving. Thank you for your input. I will put more thought into it.
  • RWS2011RWS2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Irish, sometimes employers will offer the job, but say the offer is contingent upon references.  At that time, you could offer your current boss as a reference.  In an interview, you can still outline all the work you have done in your current job.  If you have been at your job for a while, that says something good about you already!

• melizabethpmelizabethp member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I would wait. Maybe he'll understand, but maybe it'll jeopardize your standing there, or at the very least distract from your work. I would err on the side of caution.

I didn't tell my current boss I was looking for a job outside this area until I gave him my three weeks last week, after accepting an offer in St. Louis. I also told all prospective employers not to contact my current employer. It wasn't that I feared being fired so much as I didn't want my job search to be a distraction from my demanding work. Everyone was really understanding -- that situation is pretty common.

I really hope things get better for you at work, and that your vacation is relaxing & not consumed with dread over going back to work. (Well, more than any normal person's dread, haha.) T&P.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

• I've been in your position before...I would wait to tell your bossman.  It'll save your arse.
    Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards