Wedding Woes

confession time

yes, nola, it's all coming out.  and i can't believe i forgot about this one!

do you remember that looOOOooser i dated that wrote me long letters on looseleaf after we broke up and asked my parents if they could still stay friends?

he played dungeons and dragons.  as an adult.

Re: confession time

• baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    And? 

Some of the best people I know are adult RPGers. 
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    *hiding D20's*  really?  huh, what a...

Really, it's like video-games, I don't know why the sterotype persists that these hobbies aren't done by anyone over 10...the lions share of the market is people between 25 and 35.  And the lion's share of those are 'normal' people--closet gamers if you will.
  • PMeg819PMeg819 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Oooohhh, this is like when EDFJ said people who play video games were losers.

Shun HMO, SHUN!
  • edited December 2011
    Ah, stalker stationary - I was just thinking about this the other day.
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_confession-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:bf996deb-20cc-4b56-82db-74808abb903aPost:36d14ad3-8b6a-42c7-bc1a-46372ef0cc8d">Re: confession time</a>:
    [QUOTE]*hiding D20's*  really?  huh, what a... Really, it's like video-games, I don't know why the sterotype persists that these hobbies aren't done by anyone over 10...the lions share of the market is people between 25 and 35.  And the lion's share of those are 'normal' people--closet gamers if you will.
    Posted by GBCK[/QUOTE]

No one I've ever met who plays this stuff as an adult has fit my definition of normal.  However, maybe the truly normal ones are just better at hiding it.

My confession:  one of my college friends is FB friends with one of my exes.  I FB stalked him this a.m. He's married to a Thai woman and their daughter was born exactly 3 weeks before DD.  DD is obviously far cuter. 

ETA:  Now that I think about it, no one who played before adulthood seems terribly normal, either.  But then, this is coming from someone who got all excited about PMB's boss having walking pneumonia, so take it with a rock of salt.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    edited December 2011
    Although I will say, I don't know any other buisness where the trade publication addresses BO.

Of course, that's because of the whole 'geek social fallacies' bit--there areo 3% who smell and 95% who are to nice to say so...and 2% who, thank Pelor (HA, I'm funny) are assertive enough to hand them deodorant.
  • edited December 2011
    Confession:

I've been a Final Fantasy player since FF-4. I'm waiting on FF-13 even as we speak. I am devastatingly normal.
  • AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We have guys at our house playing D&D every other Sunday.  I've had to learn to accept it.  (No, I do not play.)
  • zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I love Hello Kitty. 

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    confession: i played D&D in college.  but only for about 6 months.  then the Dungeon Leader got it in his head he should ask me out, and i decided that was enough D&D for me. 

he was creap-tastic.
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dad used to play D&D with all of his work friends a few times per month - this was in the 80s and early 90s. 

• Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would be a costume wearing, pretend-castle storming dungeons and dragons nerd if I had any friends who were into it.

I am not normal, but I do brush my teeth take showers, wear deoderant and regular clothing so I'm not your mountain dew swilling cheesepuff consuming gamer geek either.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only video games I play are like Mario Kart and things like that.

Nothing adventure/sci fi or any of that.
  • edited December 2011
    I thought adult gamers were fruitcakes before the knot. E and Varuna changed my mind about that.
    I do think littleBIL is a fruitcake and it's partly because he spent all of his formative years playing HALO instead of going out and communicating with real people. But that's just my opinion, and I know there are many other factors that play into his fruitcakedness.
  • SchmoopitaSchmoopita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to play D&D as a kid. I *believe* I'm fairly normal.

My brother took it into adulthood and plays that Magic card game. He used to travel around the country to play and he was the state champ in AZ. This is the same guy who took 6 years to graduate college. Did he work? No. Was he ill? No. He just f'ed around on my parent's dime and told them the college kept adding courses he needed in order to graduate. He finally did once they told him they were done financing him. Funny how they stopped adding classes after that.
  • edited December 2011
    I have to admit to never hearing of most of these games until the Knot. I'm just not into them.

H, Keep them coming.
  • edited December 2011
    Tetris is the only video game I ever really liked. I reach new levels of nerdiness everyday, without D&D.
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
    adult gamers, i get.  adult role players, i do not understand, and i am asian.  just too many role players do not know the line between appropriate and inappropriate as well as the difference between good and bad attention.
  • edited December 2011
    H used to play D&D. He stopped before he went to college.

I go through video game bursts. I will play for hours for weeks on end and then not touch the consol for months. It's an odd cycle.
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    I like the Final Fantasy - style games, simulation games and Mario games. 

DH and I like getting games with co-op features so we can play together, although we never have time to do so.

I used to be good at Magic the Gathering. (I haven't played in a long time though.)

• GBCKGBCK member
    edited December 2011
    well of COURSE you don't know normal ones...beause normal gamers don't share it because people think they're freaks.

I mean, you don't really think my co-workers know I met the Mr. over a D&D mat, do you?

I'd ay the normal/weirdo ratio is someting like 15/85.  So about 5% more weirdos than most other hobbies.  Hell, I found paintball had a ratio pretty comprable but that might not be fair.
  • Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_confession-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:bf996deb-20cc-4b56-82db-74808abb903aPost:8c25c2d4-f196-4bac-9c0d-07fe3ef22986">Re: confession time</a>:
    [QUOTE]H used to play D&D. He stopped before he went to college. I go through video game bursts. I will play for hours for weeks on end and then not touch the consol for months. It's an odd cycle.
    Posted by Mrs.Thistletwat[/QUOTE]

This is me. I'm in an ebb right now. But with Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Lego Harry Potter coming out in May that will most definitely change.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_confession-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:bf996deb-20cc-4b56-82db-74808abb903aPost:90bf9acd-fadd-4bb4-a894-009578600ebd">Re: confession time</a>:
    [QUOTE]confession - after seeing the movie Role Models, actually role playing seemed kind of fun. lame and corny, but still fun.
    Posted by Wifezzilla[/QUOTE]

<div> Wait - are we talking Live Action Role Playing (LARPing) or just regular RPGing (D&D, Vampire, etc.)? </div><div>
    </div><div>LARPers are a little much for me, but RPGers are just like board game clubs, only they play RPGs. </div><div>
    </div><div>I only ever did collectible card games - Pokemon, Harry Potter. Anything more got too complicated for me to find enjoyable, really. </div>
  • AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Of the five guys that play at our house, 2 are "normal" with nice, attractive wives and kids, 1 is a dork with an equally dorky wife and kids, 1 is a single guy that does not smell but is definitely a nerd, and the other is stereotypical D&D with no social skills, lives with his parents and smells like cat.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    edited December 2011
    LARP and BOppers do tend to be pushing the line for me...

But at the same time, They are actually very clean and polite at the store and were the Mr's fave. group to keep the store open for when he worked there.
  • edited December 2011
    Zzilla- it was FF 7. That's the best one.

Final Fantasy is the only game I've played since high school. I don't dress up like anyone or go to conventions, though. That's just crazypants.
  • **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I barely understand any of this.
    edited December 2011
    That's okay, O. I don't understand running when nothing's chasing you, so we're even. :)
  • **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lol.  Good call.
  • edited December 2011
    BM, you just made me laugh.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards