North Carolina

Day of Coordinator?

I am curious as to how many people have hired a day of coordinator and/or wedding planner.  I didn't think it was in my budget to have one, but I contacted Event for You in Asheville just to get a quote, and they are only going to charge me $350 (I got a Friday wedding discount) for 8 hours wedding day coordination, plus some planning help/consulations, vendor recommendations, last minute vendor communication the week prior to the wedding, etc...  That seems like a really good price to me, but I was wondering if anyone has any opinions about the necessity of a coordinator.  I don't really have anyone in my family or wedding party that I think would be that great to leave all those details up to on the day of, so this would take a huge weight off my shoulders. 

Re: Day of Coordinator?

• edited December 2011
    I would definitely go for it! I know some people will disagree with me, but here is why I think that. I was lucky enough to have a friend who has planned events for work and was 100% on the ball and organized who helped fill in. That said - I felt kind of bad that she had to work so hard on my wedding day! There were many little issues that came up that I didn't even know about because she handled all of them. Everytime a vendor had a question, they asked her. Having someone to fill that role means that you get to relax and enjoy the day without working about the minutia or logistics. HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    I wasn't going to do one until my mom hired one at the last minute.  She wasn't the best because she was just starting out but regardless it was nice to have someone in charge directing everyone the day of and making sure everyone was in their correct place.  she was really just a ceremony coordinator and came to the rehearsal.
    image Ellie and Morgan
  • jmesseruncjmesserunc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm with Jessica.  We also had a close friend that's an event planner and helped out.   We would have been list without here.  And....I was able to just focus on being the bride.
  • krispychikinkrispychikin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our venue came with a coordinator - so we didn't need to hire one.  But she was definitely useful to have around - she dealt with all the vendors and set up and take down - I didn't have to worry about a thing and neither did anyone else who attended the wedding!
  • edited December 2011
    Our venue also provided one. I'm so glad I had her, she was great help. If your venue doesn't provide one, go for it. That sounds like a good price!
  • edited December 2011
    That sounds like a great price!  I would take it!
  • edited December 2011
    That's an awesome price!  Some of the more popular vendors in the Raleigh area are charging upwards of $1000 for day of coordination.  Yay!

Have you found a large difference in Friday pricing overall?
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would recommend to anyone to do a DOC. Mine came with the venue, she's the catering manager. She directed everyone, helped the bridal party remember where to go, answered questions from guests and again, the bridal party, worked with all the vendors, helped set up the room just as I wanted it, brought me a plate of hor dourves while I was having my dress bustled, made sure ALL my stuff (overnight bag, clothes, purse, etc) was waiting for me in the limo when I got in after our big exit... It was like having a clone there, she was so organized and on-the-ball. I am so glad I paid a little extra to have her do all that. Would definitely have a DOC if I was going to do it all over again!
  • chloe642chloe642 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice, ladies!  I ran it by my mom, as she is paying for it, and I wasn't even half way through reading the list of things the DOC does before my mom was emphatically telling me to hire her immediately. :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards