Wedding Invitations & Paper

Is this Save the Date lame?

Hi all,

We're getting married on Friday the 13th next year so I made a themed STD. I don't plan to keep the theme for the invitations OR the wedding...but I thought it might be funny to do just the STDs this way.

Anyway, I like it but FI hates it. Thoughts? I deleted our last names of course.

Thanks,
Michelle

Re: Is this Save the Date lame?

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2012
    I would lose the black cat, but the bride and groom and the ladder part is kind of cute. I'm still not sure about them, though. I feel like it calls attention to "our wedding day is on a 'bad luck' day" and sends kind of a negative vibe. I'm really superstitious, though!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I think it mostly depends on how formal your wedding is.  For anything more than a very very casual affair, I wouldn't use it.

More pressing, I think, is the fact that your FI hates it.  You should really find a compromise STD that you both like.
  • I think it's fun! :) I'd want to go to your wedding!
  • Don't use it if your FI hates it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_is-this-save-the-date-lame?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:8e614cc1-85c2-476b-bf2f-ecd7c95e2844Post:9b975ff9-cb58-4165-bc7c-5f5ce02d3747">Re: Is this Save the Date lame?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it mostly depends on how formal your wedding is.  For anything more than a very very casual affair, I wouldn't use it. 
    Posted by lovesclimbing[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't agree with this. You can have casual STDs even if your wedding isn't "a very casual affair." I didn't consider my wedding casual by any means, and our STDs had stick figures on them saying "See Jimmy. See Adele. See Jimmy and Adele get married." Everyone loved them. So if you want something cute, go for it. Just make sure your fiance likes them, too. </div>
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Well he didn't say he HATES it, he said he'd go with whatever I wanted...but there were others that he'd prefer.

The wedding will be pretty laid back, but nice. We're a low-maintenance couple so the day won't be stuffy/elegance but also not casual BBQ.

Thanks for the feedback! I think it's cute but I'm not 100% tied to it.
  • I'm not a fan. The cartoon &  the cat are a bit cheesy IMHO.

If it were an actual picture of you and FI doing something Friday the 13th-y, I might be more sold.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_is-this-save-the-date-lame?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:8e614cc1-85c2-476b-bf2f-ecd7c95e2844Post:8d605a58-f433-4f8b-adfd-533aece90de4">Re: Is this Save the Date lame?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not a fan. The cartoon &  the cat are a bit cheesy IMHO. If it were an actual picture of you and FI doing something Friday the 13th-y, I might be more sold.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with this. <span style="line-height:normal;" class="Apple-style-span">In general I'm not really fan of the design of it. I don't really like the cartoon. If you're purchasing pre-made ones I'm pretty sure there are nicer looking ones out there. The idea is cute, but I don't think it's executed well. If you had a friend help take a picture of you two with a ladder or something else superstitious I'd like that better. </span></div>
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Well, I would say "if fiance HATES it", you should stop there. Compromise is a good thing and I would hate for him to hate the first big thing of the wedding. It might set a negative tone.

I personally think they are cute, but he matters 10000 zillion percent more than my opinion
  • pesematologypesematology member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2012
    I'm guessing your FI hates it because it looks like dopey clipart.

Maybe I just don't understand the ladder thing?
    "I wish yo azz all tha dopest up in yo' marriages"
  • I think if there are others that your FI likes better, you should keep looking for one you can both agree on.  Our opinions don't really matter if he doesn't care for it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_is-this-save-the-date-lame?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:8e614cc1-85c2-476b-bf2f-ecd7c95e2844Post:2d78f0ac-b1aa-4b89-b529-fff3013af05f">Re: Is this Save the Date lame?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm guessing your FI hates it because it looks like dopey clipart. Maybe I just don't understand the ladder thing?
    Posted by pesematology[/QUOTE]

I <em>think </em>concept is...walking under a ladder=bad luck, like Friday the 13th=bad luck.

So the OP was trying to make light of the fact that they're getting married on Friday the 13th.

I think it would be much better if you did a "Lucky in Love" theme versus focusing on the superstitions.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_is-this-save-the-date-lame?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:8e614cc1-85c2-476b-bf2f-ecd7c95e2844Post:df985b70-ef35-4e5b-ab62-a957374969d9">Re: Is this Save the Date lame?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is this Save the Date lame? : I think concept is...walking under a ladder=bad luck, like Friday the 13th=bad luck. So the OP was trying to make light of the fact that they're getting married on Friday the 13th. I think it would be much better if you did a "Lucky in Love" theme versus focusing on the superstitions.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

Ah, ok.

My parents got married on a Friday the 13th and they've had 30 happy years so far, incidentally.
    "I wish yo azz all tha dopest up in yo' marriages"
  • I'm not a fan.  I don't really care for the artwork, and I don't know why you'd want to draw attention to things associated with bad luck.  Like itzMS, I think it would be cute if you focused on good luck -- four leaf clover, horsehoe, etc - rather than bad luck.  I also think that Friday the 13th September 2013 is really akward.  I prefer Friday, September 13th.  I don't think you need to include the year, nobody's going to think it's for 2014.
  • I think it is fun.  I certainly have learned a lesson- never put something on this board for an opinion because you get ripped apart!!!!  You will never please everyone so just please youself and your FI - the people on this site have no idea who you are or the type of personality you have--  this might be the perfect save the date for you and people are saying they don't get it.   If you like it use it-- I think it is fun!!!
  • Lilshell812Lilshell812 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2013
    Haha, thanks vitalspring.

I thought it was cute and a play on the irony (also, we aren't superstitious). Ultimately I decided on a more modern/classic design. Some of the comments above were a bit harsh (dopey clipart...jeez thanks) but it made me think about what our older guests would think. Somehow I don't think FI's 89 year old grandmother would get our humor.

Thanks for the feedback all!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards