Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Different Colors for Ceremony and Reception??

Hi all!

I need help...My wedding venue has 2 beautiful ballrooms, one for the ceremony and one for the reception. My wedding colors are olive green and eggplant, which is fine because the carpt in the room for the reception is green. Unfortunately the carpet in the ceremony room is red. Like really dark red. Which does not go at all with my colors. I can't switch the rooms either because the ceremony room isn't large enough for a reception, just a theatre style ceremony. The wood work in both rooms is pretty and the hotel is a japanese hotel in SF (hotel kabuki). Our wedding is Korean, with a strong korean theme. Can I use red and white for the ceremony, and my green and purple for the reception? i've already bought the favors in green and purple...should I just do solid white for the ceremony? I'm mostly doing simple stuff for the ceremoy, two large arrangements on either side of the minister/bride/groom, a folding screen with flowers as a backdrop behind the minister, aisle runner, and tulle connecting the chairs with asian fans attached on the chair ends instead of flowers...

Re: Different Colors for Ceremony and Reception??

• mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Nobody will care what colors you use. Nobody is going to notice what color the ceiling or walls or floors are. Nobody would expect you to completely change your wedding around to perfectly match a room whose decor you have no control over.

If you WANT to use separate colors, sure, go ahead. I really doubt anyone would notice that you changed things around to match the room, but if it'd make you happy then go for it.

If you'd only be changing colors because you think you have to, don't bother, because to me it just sounds like a gigantic hassle and headache for something that really won't be noticed by anyone but you.
  • I would just keep your same colors, and if it bothers you that much than I like the idea of doing all white for the ceremony, and having your colors in the reception. I too am bothered by hideous carpets/floors/walls/chairs.  I searched high and low for a venue w/ hardwood floors and neutral decor.  I like the idea of the white ceremony, and your colors for the reception. It will be a nice surprise for your guests.
  • Thanks! That seems the easiest and it will look really crisp I think!
  • What colors were the carpet and walls at the last wedding you attended?  The last five?

Yeah, no one is going to care.  I couldn't tell you with certainty the colors of the walls at my own wedding less than two weeks ago.  (I think they were beige-ish, but they may have been a very pale green.)
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • edited May 2010
    Completely agree with PP. I'm gonna take a page from aerinpegadrak book can you remember the color of the carpet from the last few wedding you were at?? No! because it doesn't matter, no one notices and your wedding colors do not have to match the color of the carpet. Use whatever colors you want to use regardless of what the carpet looks like.
  • You're so completely overthinking this.  No one will run from the ceremony clutching their pearls because the bridesmaid's dresses don't match the carpet.

To borrow from stage:  At what time EVER in your life do you expect your guest's attire to match the carpet, or walls, or window treatments?  C'mon.....

I don't remember the color of the carpet, walls, or window treatments at my own kids' weddings.  Because that's not what I was looking at.  I was looking at beautiful brides and beaming grooms who were reveling in marrying the loves of their lives, and graciously interacting with their guests.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I say do whatever you are comfortable with. I dont think you are overthinking this.....its your wedding! It deserves to be YOUR way! :)

The reception hall (the Grande ballroom at the Hilton in my hometown...on the river) has a dark red carpet, and my colors are hot pink and green, and for me it doesnt matter. But if it matters to you, then do 2 different reception colors! or just ignore the carpet color and do what you want.

I also say if you want to incorporate the purple, the green and your korean themed-colors into your wedding day, then do it! in the future you won't feel like you forgot anything!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_different-colors-ceremony-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:cfaeb0cb-e2ee-4597-aa98-fe2530f96079Post:1bbf7ae0-27f3-4950-8b7e-53974045898c">Re: Different Colors for Ceremony and Reception??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I get that you all think it's not a big deal...but I didn't post on here to ask if you thought it was a big deal or not. I asked if having two different color themes would be weird, and if I should just do white. I personally DO notice things like that, and so do my friends and family. If you have any comments that tell me "you're really over-thinking it" please keep them to yourself. I just want responses that are helpful.
    Posted by MissKimchi[/QUOTE]

You put a question on a public message board, you'll get responses.  You don't get to tell people what to write, however.

You did get responses.  In fact, nearly every reply was that you're overthinking this.  If everyone says the same thing.....it means you're overthinking this. 

You asked for advice, and you got it.  But you weren't really asking for advice.  You were asking for validation.  And you didn't get that.  And you're still overthinking this.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I think "Do it however you want, no one cares but you" is perfectly helpful.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards