New Jersey
Options

Trying on dresses/buying?

Can you make an appointment to try on dresses without having to buy one? I don't want to waste the salespersons time and I'd feel bad. Do you typically put down a deposit and then make payments or do you have to pay for it all in one shot? I really have my heart set on a Vera Wang gown so if anyone has experience with buying from her let me know please. Thanks!

Re: Trying on dresses/buying?

• Options
    kristen8040kristen8040 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can make as many appointments as you want before you're ready to buy.  There are salons out there that will pressure you to buy that day and if that's the case, I wouldn't buy a dress from there.  It's actually suggested that you visit a few places before you make your decision.  You typically put a deposit and pay the rest as you go, but again that depends on the salon, every place is different.  I'm pretty sure Uppereast had a Vera gown but I could be wrong!
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Of course you can!  You can't possibly know whether you'll like a dress until you tried it on.

My dress was Vera Wang.  I bought it at the Vera Wang boutique on Madison Avenue (which was very convenient for me because I lived in the neighborhood), but they're sold elsewhere too.  You can see a list of places to look for her dresses on her website if Madison Avenue doesn't work for you.  I had a very good experience at the boutique and the alterations place (which is across the street from the boutique).  

I paid half of the price of the dress when I bought it (which was not the day I first tried it on -- I went back after I thought about it for a while), and half when I went for my first fitting.  They charged me sales tax when I bought it, but refunded it when they shipped my dress to my parents' house for the wedding (which was in NJ).  I think the half now/half later arrangement is typical?  I think alterations were charged at the first fitting too.

I just saw the other day that she's doing a line for David's Bridal.  The dresses look very pretty: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/29/vera-wang-unveils-afforda_n_815829.html#s232353
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You're never obligated to buy a gown. It's not at all rude to try on things and then not buy something because you didn't like anything.

I mean, yeah, it's kind of bratty to be trying on $10K dresses just for the hell of it if you know your budget is $1K max ... THAT is wasting the saleswoman's time. But obviously you're not talking about that kind of situation.

But if you are genuinely interested in the dresses that they carry, by all means try them on, and don't feel bad if you don't find something that you like. Even if you DO find something you like, you don't have to buy it then and there ... try some more stuff on, visit other places, sleep on it for a day or two, go back and try it on a second time, etc.
  • Options
    RamsKR01RamsKR01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should still make appointments - even if it is just to try on dresses.  Depending on the store and day/time you go, they can be busy and you will need someone's help to get and try them on.

Good luck with your shopping! And keep you eyes peeled on smaller boutiques that carry Vera - I was able to get my dress 20% off (not a Vera dress) because they have a special on certain days of the year.  If you check out the stores' websites and talk with associates, sometimes you can find out about those deals.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_trying-dressesbuying?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:e647cb8e-a14d-416e-a734-da82c2fc2d17Post:b2a831cc-4561-4e5a-bddb-d08e06a3d6ae">Re: Trying on dresses/buying?</a>:
    [QUOTE] And keep you eyes peeled on smaller boutiques that carry Vera - I was able to get my dress 20% off (not a Vera dress) because they have a special on certain days of the year.  If you check out the stores' websites and talk with associates, sometimes you can find out about those deals.
    Posted by RamsKR01[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>You may also want to look at department stores.  Some will let you buy gowns at a discount during friends and family events, sometimes a discount can be had if you use it as your first purchase on a store credit card, etc.  I wish I had known that when I was shopping (although at the Vera Wang boutique I got a free veil without even asking, which wasn't so bad as far as perks go -- the veil I picked retailed for $400).</div><div>

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards