South Asian Weddings

Need Venue Ideas--Hindu Wedding in NYC or Hudson Valley

Hello all,

Any ideas for a ceremony/reception venue that can accommodate 300 guests? We want to stick with our budget (for the entire three days of our wedding) so we're looking for a place that's relatively inexpensive for the baraat, ceremony and reception.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Re: Need Venue Ideas--Hindu Wedding in NYC or Hudson Valley

• I'm getting married in NY but not in the city. I'm having mine in Long Island at the Hyatt.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited February 2012
    I Just had my wedding at the MARITIME PARC in Jersey City.   I live in New York City, and most of my guests arrived from NYC.  There is ferry service available, as well as a short drive.

The wedding went so smoothly; unlike all previous warnings I've read about and heard about, NOTHING WENT WRONG. The staff kept up to all their promises -- and more. The planning process was so stress-free. Elizabeth Winship, who is the Events Director, was also our event planner. It feels like she is a family member now. She was so knowledable, helpful and amazing, mere words CANNOT explain. She worked with us to enable us to stick to our budget. She is very experienced in South Asian weddings, and gave me a lot of helpful suggestions of vendors, etc.,    Elizabeth was in touch with vendors to ensure all worked well.  The decorators were allowed in with ample time to set up.   No limitations like some other venues place on vendors.   I am a Spanish girl, and ended up with the most amazing South Asian Wedding.

I cannot imagine how my wedding would have resulted in such a perfect place anywhere else.  I often read about "Things WILL go wrong, relax," and other warnings about your wedding date.   I am still in awe of how perfect our day went, largely as a result of the staff and planning at Maritime Parc.

You arrive through a scenic drive down Liberty State Park.  At night the trees in front of Maritime are lit.  The view of NYC in the backdrop is amazing; as well as views of the Statue of Liberty (also seen from inside venue and captured in some of my pictures).  They have valet service for your guests, as well as an arrival foyer area with coat check, where waiters await your guests with drinks in hand.   That alone was quite impressive to all.  Then there are two other floors.  The best part of it all, we had the venue to ourselves.  There were not multiple weddings going on.  It's like your own piece of heaven with Hudson River views, NYC skyline.  And the third floor has a hatched roof -- which is breathtaking, as well as decks around the second and third floor where guests can mingle during the warmer months.  They also serve cocktail hour BBQ, etc., in the deck area if requested.

Oh, the food!!   While we had to have indian food catered in, we also opted for their catering.  We had brunch there beforehand to try out their food.  We knew immediately that any negative reviews were clearly unfounded, and their food was ... well, finger-licking-GOOD!!   My now-husband and I were so excited.  Our guests still comment about the food to this day... and sooo much food!!   We had eight appetizers, and three grilling stations (which themselves each had four different appetizers) during cocktail hour, and then a three-course sit-down elegant dinner.  For the same cost that others offer buffet-style eating which can create havoc and long long lines.

THE CAKE!!  What can I tell you about the cake.  A similar looking/tasting gourmet cake would have cost us at least $2000, and it was included with the booking of the wedding package.   They worked with us to plan the cake, and even tried to place designs found in our menu/program cards on the cake.  It was elegant, it was gourmet, it was super delicious!  

There is also a groom and bride VIP room.  While getting ready, an attendant was assigned to me. She made sure I had tea, water, juice, whatever I needed while getting ready.  I had to do extra last-minute souvenirs due to an increase in headcount, she immediately asked where the bag was.  I also had not done my place cards (things were running behind.  Before I knew it, she had taken care of that as well.   While taking pictures, my attendant and makeup artist noticed something not quite right with my dress. The attendant had a bag full of "bride's needs."  She pulled out a scissor and cut away the extra paneling underneath the dress -- voila, perfect pictures.  During my picture-taking, she also scooped out safetypins out of nowhere to tie my dupatta in place for a certain look.  She was unbelievably prepared.

My makeup artist was Susmita Patel.  I CANNOT stress more what an amazing job she did!   I visited a bridal show and all the other famous makeup artists were there, but you will immediately see Susmita has a special talent.  Not only did she do my hair and makeup, she made sure my garments were secure.   My husband's aunt (who had just married her daughter), came out to ensure I was comfortable.  her daughter came out to warn me about the discomforts of the heavy bridal wear.  Susmita sewed things in place; pinned things in place -- and I danced the night away without a care in the world.  Everyone was amazed at her job!  She also took it upon herself to call the photographer to steal me away for pictures.  And she posed me, while at the same time placing my dupatta in different angles for picture taking.  I would have been totally lost without her!

Guests are still raving about the event -- even those who have gone to multiple South Asian weddings!   We really had an amazing time.  The ceiling at the Maritime Parc light up during  the evening, and it just made the atmostphere so magical.   Pictures, and even a site visit, does not adequately justify the atmosphere and magic created during the actual event; the professionalism of their staff; the way their staff just ensured that every detail was covered; that every T was crossed.   My only complaint is, I wish my event also lasted three days.  Due to our budget we only had a one-day event where we combined ceremonies.  But the AHMED wedding, as our guests have told us, "will be the wedding of the century and one we will never forget."

I strongly urge you to reach out to Elizabeth Winship at Maritime Parc.  I am sure all their other event planners are awesome, but Elizabeth is in a class by herself!!
  • By the way, our ceremony was January 2012!  Just a few weeks ago

• BESTimeVER...congrats! So happy to hear you had a great time at your wedding. Hope you're enjoying hte first month of your wedding. I'll reach out to Maritime for more information. thanks for the reference. 
  • Also would recommend looking at the Rockleigh - they are re-doing their outside space in case you would want to do an outdoor ceremony.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards