Chit Chat

Asking for a raise (NWR, obvs)

I need more money. Bottom line, if I am going to continue to pay my bills after graduation, I need more money.

Now, I realize my need to maintain my comfy lifestyle is not my boss' problem. I have, however, been setting myself up for this:

Over the last month, I think I have really distinguished myself at work. We are merging my program with another program at a different location, and I have basically spearheaded the whole thing. I created new documents, altered some of our existing forms, modified rules, and held meetings with relevant parties. And while there is talk of bringing on another staff person to help me run everything, for the time being it will just be me. With twice as much work.

This is all on top of running a successful program for the previous nine months. My participation is good, the activities are good, and it is loved by clients, their children, and staff alike. Staff have told me I'm the best coordinator they've had in years. 

I will also complete my masters degree May 2 (yay!).

Clearly, I know my accomplishments. I am just trying to figure out how to approach this with my boss. I have already sent her an email to set up a meeting to "discuss my future with the company." I will also be asking for kind of a lot, about a $4/hr raise. At LEAST. Or, I need more hours (I'm part time now). Or some combination of more hours and more money.

I need advice! The biggest raise I've gotten before (at once) was one dollar, and I didn't even really have to explain why I needed it. I am bad at this.

CN: I have been working my butt off at work, running a successful program, will soon be doing double the work, and have my masters. I need (and deserve!) more money. How do I approach this with my boss?
LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Asking for a raise (NWR, obvs)

•  I wish you the best luck. While it seems like you have done a great job don't be surprised if your company does not reward you for the great work. Unless they are known for giving raises. The company I worked for put all rasies on hold due to what they called "lapse in the economy". But if I were you I would say something like "with the recents accomplishments I have made concerning our company and completeing my education I was wondering if there is a possibility of a promotion or raise at this time. If they said no then I would say what is the possibilty of receiving the oppurtuinity to be upgraded to atleast 40 hours a week". Hope it helps and good luck

• Same here. I haven't received a raise since 3 years at this company... it would be the 4th year this year without a raise... also with the reasons of "bad economy"... if you can't get a promotion or raise, maybe look for another job? A lot o people in my company have left for other jobs and get an instant 10-20% raise since other companies are doing well and have the money to hire them... I'm also debating to do so after the wedding...
    Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_asking-for-a-raise-nwr-obvs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:187d547e-c08b-4298-868c-999a8d90e99aPost:ed1fc88b-58c2-4845-a9ab-5b7a8cb10c1f">Re: Asking for a raise (NWR, obvs)</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been with this company?  Usually companies try to be fair to good employees that have been loyal to them. If you haven't been there that long, they might be more reluctant to meet you in the middle I think the best way to negotiate a raise is to start how you have, by asking for a meeting to discuss your future with the company.  Prepare for your meeting by knowing what you want to say and then sell yourself. It's much like a job interview only for a job you're already doing. Remind them of all of your individual accomplishments including getting your masters. Then I'd go over all of the ways your position has evolved over time and how that has benefited your company. Definitely stress the increased responsibilities.  I would avoid any mention of 'deserving' the raise because your job is hard, it might sound whiny.  Do mention what you think fair compensation for a person in your roll is.  If your employer agrees with you 100% you're lucky.  More likely you'll negotiate the compensation and come to middle ground.  Good luck!
    Posted by kodakitty[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>All of this.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Approach it from the standpiont of explaining why you are worth more than what they are paying you, how you have helped the company and how you save the company money (not having to hire the second person, etc.)  Point our your accomplishments and value to the company.  </div><div>
    </div><div>If it comes out that they aren't willing to offer the raise, be ready with a plan B about what other steps you need to take to earn the raise/promotion, when you can revisit the issue, etc.  

</div>
  • I've never done it, but maybe you can find something in this article/blog post that might help. I read this a few weeks ago:

http://apracticalwedding.com/2012/03/women-money-and-knowing-our-worth/
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • I would be very careful about your wording in asking for a raise. Explaining that the job you've done is worth more than you're getting paid is likely to accomplish little more than a very uncomfortable conversation and some hurt feelings.

I've successfully negotiated many raises over the course of my career (even during salary freezes due to poor economy). The important thing is to point out your ROI and to prove that you're operating beyond the capacity of your job description.  Most companies are not that interested in what they can do for you, but are very interested in maintaining a value added that demonstrates a significant ROI.

Start by taking a look at your job description, and the description of the position you're likely to take should you be promoted. Find the gap in descriptions between what you're doing and what your job description requires you to do. Be sure to point out how much of that overlaps in the position above yours.

It sounds like you're adding a lot of value to the company, make sure you're about to put a dollar amount to it. Would they have needed to hire an additional person to take on the merger that you decided to spearhead? Do your new documents and processes save other employees time (which = company dollars), if so, how much? Have you managed to find efficiencies in the programs that you're running that have saved the company money?

The last thing you need to make sure you do is make sure your expectations are realistic. A raise of 5% is realistic (be happy with 3 in this economy) - It's okay to start high and negotiate, but if a $4 raise is a 20% increase, you may not be setting yourself up for success.

Based on some of your descriptions and wording, I'm going to assume we're in a similar line of business. The most successful raise I've ever negotiated started when I was pretty well at the end of my rope. I was working 100 hour weeks, wasn't willing to do it anymore and wanted 3 more staff in addition to a 10% raise (ya, I knew I was dreaming!) .

I started by calling out what I was asked to do in my job description and what I was required to do in order to be comfortable calling my job a success. The gap between the two and basically inquiring what my position was worth if we were looking at equitable positions across the company.

" My position is x and requires me to manage a 2million dollar program portfolio.  I've been on the business for x months and I've not only managed that portfolio but expanded to 6 million. In addition to growing that account, I've added 3 additional accounts which have eliminated the need for another manager in my position, potentially saving the company x amount of dollars.

Throughout the course of my time on this company, I've identified significant efficiencies, streamlined communication and internal processes to and saved the company x amount over the past 6 months. I'm willing to continue to work at this capacity, and I've realized that I'm no longer performing within the confines of my job description. I'm currently meeting and exceeding several core competencies of (position above me), have grown the business by x amount and have saved x in operating costs. The total value of my my contribution is (whatever), and I'd like to discuss potential succession planning and a merit increase for the value I bring to the company in my position. My ideas to continue to grow the business and refine interal operations and effeciency savings are as follows..."

The last time I had the conversation, I ended up with an 8% raise (After asking for 10) and 2 additional support staff (when I asked for three).   I was very pleased with the outcome and my success in that conversation was because I was able to put a dollar amount to my contributions and was pretty well willing to walk out the door if I didn't get what needed.

I wish you the best of luck! I'm sure you'll walk out with something if you walk in prepared. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards