Snarky Brides

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

• Ok. maybe I just haven't been around long enough, but I've never seen a thread with over 450 posts.

Just to clear the 'air'- Jelique, I never meant to offend you.  I am truly sorry for everything you went through with your dad, too.  That is horrible and nothing a child should ever have to deal with.  

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fight-fight-fight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:033ce228-8086-42c2-9996-9015e7423449Post:e18a8d50-3ee4-494d-8d1f-e37c6dd25500">Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT : I don't see how putting serial numbers on them would help anything.
    Posted by rak123[/QUOTE]
    oops ment sterilize
  • One time..on E...we had a 28 page FFF...it was insane.
  • Oh no worries. Im not offended. I just get a tad defensive when I feel like people are judging me because of my age knowing nothing about me but then I thought about it and got over it. I realize if i want to post on the big girl board I should act like one and take what ever comes.

I know I shouldn't get defensive about the age thing but I have heard it so much in life and since joining the knot. Anyways Im over it. And thanks, it was a hard time in my life  but I have been through worse and it made me the person I am today so I cant really complain. =]
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fight-fight-fight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:033ce228-8086-42c2-9996-9015e7423449Post:5e4821fa-d317-4b2e-b59a-716fc81c67e9">Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that we Christians do not own the word marriage. The church need not recognize a gay marriage, just as my Church wouldn't recognize my marriage if it were strictly legal. However, two atheists get "married" because it is no longer a religious term. They don't have to have a "Civil Union" because there is no religious connection.
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

that's pretty much what I think too. I feel like "married" is a religious term, and is up to whatever church you get married in to recognize you as a married couple. otherwise, everyone should be civilly united, especially if you don't have a religious ceremony. separation of church and state and all that.
  • Honestly, the age thing never goes away. When I worked retail and in the school system all I hear "Wow, you're 26? That's so young, I can't believe you're getting married and trying to have kids!" Um...seriously? You're 30...you've got 4 years on me and are 6 years younger than my husband so stfu.

Or when my bil told my sil he was really worried about Scott marrying me because I was too young (I was 25 at the wedding). She reminded him that they were both 24 at their wedding.
  • When I hear on the news "this politician supports tax cuts for the wealthy" like it's a bad thing, it makes me mad.  The wealthy should get tax breaks.  They pay a lot more taxes than the rest of us.  The top 10% of income earners pay 87% or more of all individual income tax.  While I agree that those without the wherewithal to pay should pay less, and thus wealthy people have to pay more, it's gotten out of hand.  I know a lot of couples in my line of work who are single-income families because it's cheaper to lose an income than to pay the taxes on it. I also think the estate tax is way too high.  Family businesses dissolve when the parents die because the children don't have enough liquid assets to pay the tax on inheriting ownership of the business.  How's that for helping small businesses?
    Posted by goheels05

I want to address this. the top 10% of the country should pay more. they make more, and not just a little bit more. you want to tell me that everyone in that top 10% is a self-made man? no. most of them were just squeezed out of the right vagina, and continue to make their money off the rest of us. 
    and reaganomics didn't work. seriously.
    also, I don't know too many small businesses that report what they actually make. they play the same game the richest people do and learn how to hide their income.
    I get being fiscally conservative if you are some self-made texas billionaire who worked his or her balls off. but everyone else can just go cry into their big bag of money.
  • and I said what I did about small businesses to address the idea that small businesses are going to have to pay more and it will be the END OF US ALL. no, they won't.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fight-fight-fight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:033ce228-8086-42c2-9996-9015e7423449Post:5e147a91-d538-49cc-9923-9870a7e7276d">Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT : As long as all who get the free health care have apaid in. The people who are not legal can just suff,
    Posted by MsFarmer[/QUOTE]

<div>.. what? </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fight-fight-fight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:033ce228-8086-42c2-9996-9015e7423449Post:4df6d12a-7913-4237-b83b-993a72b26c17">Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I hear on the news "this politician supports tax cuts for the wealthy" like it's a bad thing, it makes me mad.  The wealthy should get tax breaks.  They pay a lot more taxes than the rest of us.  The top 10% of income earners pay 87% or more of all individual income tax.  While I agree that those without the wherewithal to pay should pay less, and thus wealthy people have to pay more, it's gotten out of hand.  I know a lot of couples in my line of work who are single-income families because it's cheaper to lose an income than to pay the taxes on it. I also think the estate tax is way too high.  Family businesses dissolve when the parents die because the children don't have enough liquid assets to pay the tax on inheriting ownership of the business.  How's that for helping small businesses? Posted by goheels05 I want to address this. the top 10% of the country should pay more. they make more, and not just a little bit more. you want to tell me that everyone in that top 10% is a self-made man? no. most of them were just squeezed out of the right vagina, and continue to make their money off the rest of us.  and reaganomics didn't work. seriously. also, I don't know too many small businesses that report what they actually make. they play the same game the richest people do and learn how to hide their income. I get being fiscally conservative if you are some self-made texas billionaire who worked his or her balls off. but everyone else can just go cry into their big bag of money.
    Posted by laladypoet[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of people who are in the top 10% tax bracket that have worked their asses off to get where they are.  Also, why do you feel you get to be entitled to anyone's money.  Who cares if its inherited, etc. Its their money not yours and not the governments.

This insane tax structure cannot continue this way.  Soon the middle classes will be being taxed more because you can only tax the upper 10% so much before they go elsewhere.  I think whining about how someone got their money is pathetic (as long as it's legally made).  If someone is smart enough, hard working enough, industrious enough et. to make and keep their money more power to them. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fight-fight-fight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:033ce228-8086-42c2-9996-9015e7423449Post:c3e05268-8fcf-4adf-935b-541731711944">Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hope you're never in a position where you need a helping hand Jelique. The biggest cause of homelessness is mental health disorders, and many homeless are veterans.
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

See, this is why I could never work with the homeless.  I would spend the whole time thinking about my dad and bawling my eyes out.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fight-fight-fight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:033ce228-8086-42c2-9996-9015e7423449Post:8a4bd4ac-0a18-4412-939d-c16fca6211d7">Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT : There are plenty of people who are in the top 10% tax bracket that have worked their asses off to get where they are.  Also, why do you feel you get to be entitled to anyone's money.  Who cares if its inherited, etc. Its their money not yours and not the governments. This insane tax structure cannot continue this way.  Soon the middle classes will be being taxed more because you can only tax the upper 10% so much before they go elsewhere.  I think whining about how someone got their money is pathetic (as long as it's legally made).  If someone is smart enough, hard working enough, industrious enough et. to make and keep their money more power to them. 
    Posted by aprovencher21[/QUOTE]
    also, I believe the inheretance tax is bullshit. first of all.
    second of all, I feel like if you are in the middle class tax bracket and youre arguing this, you're playing for the wrong team. so what if I'm hard-working, intelligent, and smart, and I'm making middle wages. does that mean that someone who is old money and doesn't work as hard deserves tax breaks instead of me?
  • There are plenty of people who are in the top 10% tax bracket that have worked their asses off to get where they are.

are you going to use bill gates as an example?
  •  you can only tax the upper 10% so much before they go elsewhere.

go somewhere else. see what they tax. thanks.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fight-fight-fight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:033ce228-8086-42c2-9996-9015e7423449Post:b40001e4-594d-4781-8530-06fcc1a18bb3">Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT : also, I believe the inheretance tax is bullshit. first of all. second of all, I feel like if you are in the middle class tax bracket and youre arguing this, you're playing for the wrong team. so what if I'm hard-working, intelligent, and smart, and I'm making middle wages. does that mean that someone who is old money and doesn't work as hard deserves tax breaks instead of me?

Wow, lalady, at first I thought we wouldn't get along but.... ya know... I think I'm developing a bit of a politics-crush on you!

FWIW, my family comes from the top percentage of Americans for income.  Once you get to the end of the bell curve (the top 5% of Americans), each percentage point represents a HUGE difference in income.  In the middle of the curve, not so much.  Someone who makes $35k per year is not significantly better/worse off than someone who makes $50k per year.  But when you get to the top 5%, we're talking millions between each percentage point. So no, my father is not Bill Gates by a long shot, but he is definitely making a very healthy living.  A living that any of us could have a happy fulfilling life from, and retire at a reasonable age, and take care of any health problems that may arise in the future.  That's plenty of money for anyone, I don't care how they've earned it.  I'm not saying you should level the playing field or anything outrageous like that, but I just can't understand how the wealthiest people in that bracket can't afford another 1% of their income, that would represent hundreds of times what an average annual salary is in this country.  My family certainly wouldn't miss it in terms of comfort or recreational purchases, but if that top 5% paid 1% more, that would be nearly equal to our national debt.

Bill Gates and Warren Buffett agree with us, by the way.  They think that billionaires don't need all their money, and should donate 50% of it by the time they die.  In Germany, a group of millionaires stepped forward and volunteered to help their country: <a href="http://www.cnbc.com/id/37610762/German_Millionaires_Volunteer_to_Pay_Rich_Tax" rel="nofollow">http://www.cnbc.com/id/37610762/German_Millionaires_Volunteer_to_Pay_Rich_Tax</a>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Aprove just go vote in November. Maybe we can get some more Republicans into the House of Reps.

I really hope Obama is a one term president.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fight-fight-fight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:033ce228-8086-42c2-9996-9015e7423449Post:474898e9-1a7e-47b4-9b8f-a072a9962445">FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT</a>:
    [QUOTE] I think it's selfish for very old people to have children since they might not make it to see the kid into adulthood. GO!
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm way behind ... but how old is "very old"?  lol
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fight-fight-fight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:033ce228-8086-42c2-9996-9015e7423449Post:f316da47-caf3-4b8b-910f-8a03252440b5">Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are plenty of people who are in the top 10% tax bracket that have worked their asses off to get where they are. are you going to use bill gates as an example?

Pretty much all of my tax clients who are wealthy are self-made.  Our two biggest corporate clients also started off as small family businesses, and they work their fingers to the bone.  I'm sorry the only wealthy people you know of are the ones you see on TV, but they aren't representative of the entire top 10% in income earners.  They're more like the top 0.04%. 

People in the top tax bracket pay almost half their income in taxes.  The top tax bracket I believe begins with families who make $250,000.  That's not even close to being a millionaire.  That's a husband and wife earning an average of $125K each and only getting to take home 60% of that. 

As far as small businesses, I agree with you, but there's not much to hide anyway.  Most of them are losing money on paper regardless of whether or not they are honest.  Also, if they are working with a CPA, they can avoid paying any unnecessary tax if they do have income. 

I'm not in the highest bracket or even second highest, and I don't think I'm batting for the wrong team, I'm just being reasonable. 

I think a lot of people would feel differently if they knew more about taxes.  The general public doesn't have access to plain-English information about taxes past maybe a few tax credits, and the media is just the blind leading the blind.  There's really nowhere to get solid facts unless you want to try to read legislation drafts. 
  • I think the best way to raise tax revenue right now would be to increase the capital gains rate.  Now there's some people who are just sitting around getting rich doing nothing--trust fund babies living off interest and dividends in a stock portfolio and only paying 15% on it.  Tax the hell out of them. 

I know why the capital gains rate was lowered to 15%, but it's not working.  Average Joe ain't buyin' stock. 
  • Heels, that is really good info! It's nice to hear from someone who knows what she is talking about!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fight-fight-fight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:033ce228-8086-42c2-9996-9015e7423449Post:59597e73-f7b7-4d05-bcdb-00a701645ce7">Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT</a>:
    [QUOTE]Heels, that is really good info! It's nice to hear from someone who knows what she is talking about!
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  Now if only I could figure out a way to just get paid for talking about tax and not actually doing any work . . .
  • Hmmm maybe you also figure a way for me to get paid while knotting!
  • I'll see what I can do. 
  • Good. Hop to it!
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fight-fight-fight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:033ce228-8086-42c2-9996-9015e7423449Post:9a5105a0-a8d9-456f-8c50-6efae12b8ee9">Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT : Yeah, I'm way behind ... but how old is "very old"?  lol
    Posted by christyran1228[/QUOTE]

I'd say 55 and over. Not that 55 is very old, but 55 is too old to have a baby, IMO.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fight-fight-fight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:033ce228-8086-42c2-9996-9015e7423449Post:50f2307f-1d42-43cf-84bd-aceeb51408f4">Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the best way to raise tax revenue right now would be to increase the capital gains rate.  Now there's some people who are just sitting around getting rich doing nothing--trust fund babies living off interest and dividends in a stock portfolio and only paying 15% on it.  Tax the hell out of them.  I know why the capital gains rate was lowered to 15%, but it's not working.  Average Joe ain't buyin' stock. 
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.........except then I worry about venture capitalists and start up companies.  Ugh. No easy answers.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fight-fight-fight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:033ce228-8086-42c2-9996-9015e7423449Post:7f7b931a-fd8d-4140-89d4-8b92f5f39075">Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT</a>:
    [QUOTE]Aprove just go vote in November. Maybe we can get some more Republicans into the House of Reps. I really hope Obama is a one term president.
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

Oh believe me I will.  You couldn't pay me enough to vote Democrat.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fight-fight-fight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:033ce228-8086-42c2-9996-9015e7423449Post:50f2307f-1d42-43cf-84bd-aceeb51408f4">Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the best way to raise tax revenue right now would be to increase the capital gains rate.  Now there's some people who are just sitting around getting rich doing nothing--trust fund babies living off interest and dividends in a stock portfolio and only paying 15% on it.  Tax the hell out of them.  I know why the capital gains rate was lowered to 15%, but it's not working.  Average Joe ain't buyin' stock. 
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

You have very good points!  It goes along with what I was saying about the significant difference between the upper percentage points.  A family making $250,000 shouldn't have 50% of their income taxed, that doesn't make much sense.  But I think when you start getting into the 7 figures, I start feeling less sympathy.

And tax the heck out of capital gains, for sure!  After I found out what "derivitives" are and how much of our economy is based on nonsense, and how many people are getting filthy rich over absolutely nothing, that made me a little disgusted.  They're unregulated and for the most part untaxable.

I'm also opposed to such high inheritance taxes, too, but I can understand both sides of that argument.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fight-fight-fight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:033ce228-8086-42c2-9996-9015e7423449Post:c69825cc-9873-4454-8cff-1c309b7a5d6e">Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT : You have very good points!  It goes along with what I was saying about the significant difference between the upper percentage points.  A family making $250,000 shouldn't have 50% of their income taxed, that doesn't make much sense.  But I think when you start getting into the 7 figures, I start feeling less sympathy. And tax the heck out of capital gains, for sure!  After I found out what "derivitives" are and how much of our economy is based on nonsense, and how many people are getting filthy rich over absolutely nothing, that made me a little disgusted.  They're unregulated and for the most part untaxable.  I'm also opposed to such high inheritance taxes, too, but I can understand both sides of that argument.
    Posted by catemeg[/QUOTE]

But thats the whole point against what LaLa was saying.  The top 10% in the income bracket aren't all million and billionaires.  They are regular people working their asses off getting punished because of the situation.  I do think its possible for people earning over 10 million to pay more taxes.  I don't think its right for people earning under $2 million a year to have their taxes increased.  We're setting up a situation where it becomes prohibitive and really ass backwards to strive to be successful. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fight-fight-fight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:033ce228-8086-42c2-9996-9015e7423449Post:dfb19b29-d025-4922-94b7-9c633136f205">Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT : But thats the whole point against what LaLa was saying.  The top 10% in the income bracket aren't all million and billionaires.  They are regular people working their asses off getting punished because of the situation.  I do think its possible for people earning over 10 million to pay more taxes.  I don't think its right for people earning under $2 million a year to have their taxes increased.  We're setting up a situation where it becomes prohibitive and really ass backwards to strive to be successful. 
    Posted by aprovencher21[/QUOTE]

I don't know where you're pulling the marker for $2 million a year being the boundary... it depends on where you live for sure, because $2 million a year won't go nearly as far in New York City as it would in West Virginia, for example.  But a graduated tax for single and combined family incomes over $1 million dollars is not excessive. 

The tax system should be <em>graduated </em>because you're right - with a sudden major increase in taxes, it becomes counter productive to have a second income or ask for a raise. I have no incentive to ask for a raise right now.  I'm right at the cusp of the tax break, so if I get only $2k more annually, I'll pay $4k more annually in taxes.  That's dumb, and should be modified on all levels of income to increase the motivation to succeed and excel.  Similarly, the welfare system is somewhat punative for people who want to work.  This is true of unemployment, also.  When I lost my job, I wanted to get a part time job, but I made more money off unemployment which I would have lost if I had worked.  I think people should always be encouraged to work - maybe the unemployment should decrease by half of whatever you earn?  That way you'll be less of a burden on the state, but you will still have an incentive to work!  Sorry, a bit off track, but similar issue on the opposite side of the income spectrum.

But the idea that taxing people a little bit more who make more than they need to live comfortably will be a disincentive to earn money is just stupid.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards