Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

PCA and Edgewood Club

Hi Ladies,

I'm on the hunt for a venue for next June.  I was wondering if anyone out there had info to share about either Pittsburgh Center for the Arts or the Edgewood Club.  I seem to remember that someone here had their reception at the Edgewood Club, but I can't remember if the review was good or bad.

TIA!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: PCA and Edgewood Club

• edited December 2011
    I think dreamalot had her reception at the Edgewood Club, so hopefully she'll chime in, or you may want to page her.
  • edited December 2011
    I had my reception at the Edgewood Club. It was great! It is a smaller space so you can really only fit around 120 comfortably. But I loved the look and the feel of it. It is BYO food and drinks, so that could be great or not - depending on what you want. When is your wedding?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    There are also pics in my bio under 'Wedding pictures' to give you an idea of how it looks for a reception.
  • edited December 2011
    I thought maybe it was you who had your wedding there, but I couldn't remember for sure.  Our wedding is June 4, 2011. We're probably inviting around 150 people.  I see you  had your ceremony at First Unitarian (I've been considering that myself but worried, perhaps a little too much, about logistics for OOTs).  Do you know if the Edgewood Club will host the ceremony as well or do you think there is not enough space?  They say they have a ballroom and a living room, is it unreasonable to think I could have the ceremony in the living room and dinner in the ballroom?  Thanks so much for your repsonse!
  • edited December 2011
    The living room is TINY. You could only have the ceremony there if you only invited about 20 people to it or had the ceremony on the stage in the ballroom and everyone watched from their tables.

First Unitarian worked out perfectly logistically. It isn't that far at all from Edgewood. Just basically two streets away.

The only thing I'd caution is this... The Edgewood Club doesn't have air conditioning. In June, that may come in to play. I hate to caution you against a place that I love, but want to give all of the facts.
  • phillychica85phillychica85 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The PGH Center for the Arts was one of the venues was toured. Unless they've changed policies, you're advised to go and see the space yourself. You don't necessarily set something up with the director of events the first time you're visiting. So you can stop by anytime the center is open to the public. The guy at the front desk was very nice-we explained that we were considering the center for a potential spot to have our reception and he brought out some wedding albums of couples that had had their receptions there for us to look through.

I actually loved it but FI didn't necessarily like the set up. In case you've never been there, the center used to be a former private home (i.e. a highlight is a beautiful staircase that I know a lot of brides and grooms come down when being announced for the first time). The one "side" of the house features a tent like look, I think a lot of couples opt to have their eating portion of the reception there, and then if they're rented the whole venue, dancing is  indoors. Food is all done by outside caterers, I think you have to go with one of their preferred vendors. A while back I know you could BYOB but that might have changed now. Depending on what your budget is, I didn't think prices were bad to have your reception at a beautiful former mansion right in Shadyside.

Just like some other venues that are museums, receptions cannot begin until I think an hour or so after the center closes to the public. So depending on when your ceremony is, you might want to keep that in mind. Ours was at 12:30 PM and we thought it was way too large of a gap between the two.

Hope that helps,
    Julie
    My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • edited December 2011
    Molly - No a/c is good information.  My mom would have a fit if there was no a/c. In June its kind of a crapshoot...it could be reasonable or it could be really hot.

Julie - Thanks for your insights on PCA.  I've been there before, but not really with a wedding in mind.  You make a good point about not being able to start until later in the evening. 

• edited December 2011
    Yeah, it is something to consider unfortunately.

Good luck choosing a place!
  • amn2152amn2152 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been to a wedding at PCA and it was nice. I think there were about 150 guests but it seemed like more because it was a little tight in the tent which is where all the tables were set up. They had a buffet which was set up inside along one of the walls at the bottom of the staircase. on the opposing wall was where the cake was and in the room adjoining was the bar set up. They did have to BYOB. After dinner, the buffet was broken down and gave more room to dance. I think the appetizers were served in one of the other gallary rooms down the hall from the bar. One downside that I remember is that the bathrooms are on the lower level and pretty distant from the rest of whats going on. I believe that the EC is Joy, only because I looked at that place for myself and was told by the bride to stay on top of her about details because alot of things she wanted to have set up didn't or not the way that was discussed. All in all it is a nice place and gives an artistic feel to the event.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the response.  I appreciate the information.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards