Honeymoon Discussions

Denver or Boston

I know everyone will probably think we are weird for wanting to go to one of these cities for our honeymoon, but we could really use some help. My FI and I are trying to decide between traveling to Denver or Boston for our honeymoon. We arent the beach going type of people and enjoy cooler weather. We live south of Chicago and want something different. We will be traveling the last week of September. We both would love to go to Boston more but the hotels are priced much higher. We dont have a very large budget otherwise this wouldnt be an issue. We would love to hear the good and bad about both cities and which you would prefer.
Thanks!

Re: Denver or Boston

• I vote Boston, because well, I live here and think it's pretty darn cool!
    And I haven't ever been to Denver!

If you choose beantown, feel free to ask any questions you may have!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_denver-or-boston?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:7fedee52-b953-43c4-a58c-8f23d8480841Post:e93273ed-ab6c-465f-97cd-c4ba3fa447ce">Re: Denver or Boston</a>:
    [QUOTE]I vote Boston, because well, I live here and think it's pretty darn cool! And I haven't ever been to Denver! If you choose beantown, feel free to ask any questions you may have!
    Posted by amymaysa[/QUOTE]

<div>What are some good areas to stay in? Do you know of any good hotels that are moderately priced?</div>
  • Once you get passed the hotel prices in Boston, you're going to need to pay to eat and do activities.  Yes, Boston is expensive, but not outrageous.  I lived there for two years after college.

I might do for you to stay further out from downtown but still on the T lines.  Check around Boston College (on the green line) and Tufts University (on the red line).  That way you're a bit further out but can very easily get in and out of downtown for cheaper. 

Boston's a fun place to visit.  I didn't particularly like it there because it's not my kind of city (I'm a Philly girl), but you'll have plenty to do and the weather will be lovely.

I don't know as much about Denver, unfortunately, so I can't compare!
  • You may be dissapointed coming to Boston after living close to Chicago.  That's such a great city.  But, seeing as I've never been to Denver and am very familiar with Boston, I'd say come here.  There is a ton of history, so if you like that kind of thing, there's a ton to see.  I would suggest staying somewhere down town, not in the outskirts like pp mentioned.  Yes, it'll be more expensive, but I'm assuming you're not going to rent a car (you don't need to) and it'll be a pain taking the T that far out.  If you stay downtown you can walk every where.  Boston is a small city.  

You can check out the North End (Italian part of the city) which has great food.  Check out Newbury street (very expensive little shops/botiques), go to the Prudential Center and Copley.  You can take a boat tour or a duck tour.  You may also want to rent a car for like 2 days and drive down to the cape.  I know you said October, but it'd still be pretty to come down and stay at a B&B for a night.  
  • If you like history and don't want to rent a car - go to Boston.
    If you want a more outdoorsy option and don't mind renting a car and driving - go to Denver.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_denver-or-boston?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:7fedee52-b953-43c4-a58c-8f23d8480841Post:fc141b88-72fc-4d5d-a4a6-77f1057a7031">Re: Denver or Boston</a>:
    [QUOTE]  I would suggest staying somewhere down town, not in the outskirts like pp mentioned.  Yes, it'll be more expensive, but I'm assuming you're not going to rent a car (you don't need to) and it'll be a pain taking the T that far out. 
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]

I only suggested staying further out on the T lines because she was concerned about money.  A T trip is reasonable priced (as compared with cabs) and the T is so easy to use that getting around is really no big deal.  I regularly took the T from Fenway out to Harvard to take classes, which is more complicated that a jump on Boston College to Copley ride.  It wasn't a pain, but I also knew what I was doing.

If it were up to me, however, I'd stay in the middle of Boston.  But, you have to weigh price to staying and eating.

Also, I completely agree: don't rent a car!!  The airport is on the T line and cabs to downtown are plentiful.  There's also plenty to do in Boston that doesn't require a car so getting one will be a waste of money for both non-use and paying to park it.
  • I live in Boston suburbs and have been to Denver and Chicago.

Both are much smaller than Chicago, which I am sure you knew.  When I went to Chicago I couldn't get over how big it was compared to Boston!  But Denver was positively microscopic compared to Boston.

Both are very walkable cities. I loved Denver, but if I went there again I would want to rent a car to see outside the city.  There are a lot of great bars and restaurants and shopping, but not nearly as much as Boston.  If you are only going for a few days either would be a great option, but I think for a longer trip I might prefer Boston unless you rented a car in Denver to explore outside the city. When I was in Denver I was in awe at how cheap it was compared to Boston.  However, when I was in Chicago (only explored downtown and Wrigleyville) I found it much more expensive than Boston.

I think if it came down to only being able to afford Boston by staying outside the city, I would just pick Denver.  Sure you can take the T, but that's a PITA and I'd rather save the trip for when I could afford to stay downtown. 

I think you should check out Back Bay, Downtown Boston, and even maybe the Seaport District for Boston. Check out hotwire.com.  You can search by area of Boston (in this case they'd be called "Backbay" "Waterfront" and "Boston Common - Theatre District".  If you go to betterbidding.com to the Boston hotels thread: http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=69) you can narrow down the hotels.  This is what I've done a bunch of times when I've needed to stay in the city and have a lot of luck (I've wound up w/ Rennaissance and Intercontinental several times).

Good luck.  If you decide on Boston I can give you some more recs on where to go/what to see.
  • OH and to add to why to absolutely not stay outside of the city, like near BC... school is in session.  It can take a full hour to get downtown from BC.  I did this when I was in school and it was hell.  That, plus the trains on the outskirts of the city are packed with students.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_denver-or-boston?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:7fedee52-b953-43c4-a58c-8f23d8480841Post:64e10411-22e5-422b-9ce9-d7b5e6ae1daa">Denver or Boston</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know everyone will probably think we are weird for wanting to go to one of these cities for our honeymoon, but we could really use some help. My FI and I are trying to decide between traveling to Denver or Boston for our honeymoon. We arent the beach going type of people and enjoy cooler weather. We live south of Chicago and want something different. We will be traveling the last week of September. We both would love to go to Boston more but the hotels are priced much higher. We dont have a very large budget otherwise this wouldnt be an issue. We would love to hear the good and bad about both cities and which you would prefer. Thanks!
    Posted by Emilyds25[/QUOTE]

I would do Denver again in a heartbeat. My finace' and I flew out there for my bday a few years ago and loved it! Even in Februay. I would think that September would be an awesome time to go. We stayed with friends in Aurora, Colorado and even with us only being there for 3 days we were able go see live music at the Grizzly Rose bar in Denver, go hiking, do the Coors Brewery tour, visit a bunch of resturants and stuff. I live in a suburb West of Chicago and I thought Denver was really easy to get around in and reasonably prices. Have fun!
    Anniversary
  • Thanks for the advice everyone! We decided to go with Boston and we ended up finding a pretty good deal on a hotel downtown.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards