Snarky Brides
Options

Facebook Engagement Etiquette

2»

Re: Facebook Engagement Etiquette

• Options
    You have facebook but not email overseas?  That's strange.

I would much rather at least get a email than read about it on the FB newsfeed.  Even a mass-email would be better.  I hate to sound like my grandma, but no wonder people think social-networking is the downfall of society.  We have all this new technology and it's like all of a sudden we need a whole new set of rules of what is right and wrong when really, if people just exercised a little common sense and courtesy, there wouldn't be any need for new rules.
  • Options
    Of course I had email, as I had facebook. But I am of the opinion that getting an email would have been no more or less personal than seeing it over facebook. You may have struck a chord that rings to with some, maybe even with most people, however (maybe it's me, or maybe it's the people I associate with) in my situation there would hardly have boon a difference between email and facebook. (And my friends check FB and neglect their email, but that's an entirely different matter.) But, you have a fair point: what I chose to do is certainly not what works for everyone.

As to your comment about there being a whole new set of "rules," I certainly wouldn't call you a grandma! Lots of people find social networking sites just a giant pain (and some days, I'm with them!). However, I find being able to connect with people at the touch of my fingers and at a quick glance very liberating. Also, along with all of these new 'rules' there also come new surprises - there's something to be said for logging in and the first thing you see is a personal message about how special you are from your FI. True, you could have said this in person, or via email, but variety is the spice of life; it is just a new and slightly different way to say, "I love you," and it can certainly make my day. :)

Just a little different perspective on things.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My FI proposed with all of our close friends there. I called my mom, sent out a text with a picture of my ring to important friends who werent there. Waited about a half hour before the friends that were there were saying "did you update facebook yet? I wanna put it in my status". so I updated it almost right away. BUt I informed the important people before doing so.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Fair enough.  Maybe I'm alone in thinking email is slightly more personal than a FB status update. 
  • Options
    I waited to update my facebook for a few weeks while we told our friends, his parents and my dad. I waited because I didn't want to tell my brother right away. My mom was coming to visit and I wanted to tell her in person, and I KNEW my brother would let it slip. I ended up telling him a few days before my mom's visit.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    NAClarkNAClark member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010
    Haven't changed my facebook status actually, I plan to just change it to married once that applies. I called the people I am closest to within the first couple days of being engaged, then sent personal emails to a few old friends who I don't talk to as regularly over the following week or two. The parents took care of telling most relatives quite quickly! That pretty much covered everyone who really wants to know. Somehow I was just bothered advertising this to all the old school friends etc. who are on my facebook but I'm not really in touch with anymore...

And yes, I do think email is still more personal than a status change on facebook because it is directed at the individual... and that's not to say facebook isn't also fine, but it is less personal.
  • Options
    Can someone please tell me what an AW is?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I called my best friends & family - my "good friends" got a text message. After that, it was FB. & I didn't get any angry comments about it. LOL

My Planning Bio ** For Sale
    UPDATED 1/5/11

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards