Wedding Reception Forum
Options

How can we do the cocktail hour/ what to serve?

My daughter will be getting married on Oct. 12. The wedding will be held at the church and the reception will be in the social hall/tent outside. We are planning on having the buffet set up in the social hall with the seating under the tent. We are serving BBQ. We will be taking most of the pics before the wedding with just the B&G pics and a few family pics afterwards which shouldn't atke too long. I don't want the guests to go ahead and eat their meal before the bride and groom gets to the reception. How can we work it so that the guests are not just standing around waiting. I was thinking about serving some type of appetizers with punch (no alcohol at church) but should they just stand around in the social hall with their finger food or should they go ahead and sit down then get back up when its time for dinner with the bride and groom?

Any ideas on appetizers that would go with BBQ and not be too heavy that could possibly be eaten while standing and mingling with others?

Re: How can we do the cocktail hour/ what to serve?

• Options
    If you are going to take pictures after the ceremony, you must serve your guests something while they wait.  You can either have appetizers set out on the same tables that will later house that BBQ or have them passed around.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I'm doing pretty much the same thing, no alcohol either due to venue contract. I'm doing a cheese n cracker with fresh fruit type station. And then serving sweetened/unsweetened tea and either a non-alcoholic signature drink (if we can come up with one) or punch.

Now our venue is for ceremony and reception yet completely two different areas yet plenty of places to walk around and explore so the appetizers will be set up in an area away from the ceremony area and close to the reception area yet not at the specific area for reception. If that makes any sense.
  • Options
    i think serving some cheese and crackers/veggies or fruit with dip and some drinks will help your guests mingle and socialize while they are waiting for the bride and groom to take pictures. maybe you can have that set up in the tent for them so they are able to sit down as well while they wait?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    if you leave the lids on the buffets, dont put out serving utensils and dont put out the plates etc.. no one will be able to eat. you could also put a sign on the table showing what time dinner starts.

however this seems to be a huge to do for a few pictures.  have the B&G do their entrance, invite people to eat and then go take their pics. they can eat when they're done.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards