December 2011 Weddings

Trouble finding a church

Hello everyone! I recently introduced myself in the "Introduce Yourself" thread, but I'll do it again here.  My name is Sarah and my fiance and I got engaged on October 8, 2010.  We are planning a December 31, 2011 wedding.  I was excited to find a place to chat with other brides who are getting married at or around the same time.  Plus, this board seems friendlier than some of the other community boards... people can be so mean when giving their opinions on things that it was keeping me away for awhile.  Anyway, I am glad to have found this board and look forward to corresponding with all the other December '11 brideds on here as our big days approach!

The issue I'm dealing with currently (and am hoping to find some insight on here!) is finding a church for our ceremony.  We live in a small, rural town, which, despite it's size has MANY MANY churches.  FI and I would like to have a 4 or 5pm ceremony since our reception is starting later and going on til midnight.  What I'm running into is many of these churches have Saturday evening services and would not be able to accomodate our time.  Also, some churches that don't normally have Sat. evening services are having a New Year's Eve service, around the same time we wanted to hold our ceremony.  The reception site is a hotel ballroom.  Our coordinator there has already told us we can use one of the other ballrooms as a ceremony site if we need to.  FI is all about this, but I would really like to be married in a church.   Has anyone else with a NYE wedding date (or just anyone in general) run into this problem?  I would appreciate all comments and suggestions!  Thanks!
December 2011 September Siggy Challenge-SHOES!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Trouble finding a church

• Hi, Sarah! I'm Jen! Nice to "meet" you. I wish I had some advice, but I'm Catholic, and they're super strict about what time you can have your ceremony. I'm getting married on a Friday night, but we can't have the ceremony until 7:30, which I am NOT happy about. It's just one of those things I had to get over though. I hope you can find a compromise that works!
  • I had the same problem, although my wedding is a week before Christmas, instead of New Years Eve. One of the churches said that their Christmas services run longer during the 4 weeks before Christmas, and so there was only 1 or 2 Saturday wedding options. And I didnt want to get married at 10am.  One thing I heard (although I dont know if this is true where you live) is that churches are desperate for donations, because the economy has hit them hard as well. If you have an extra $1000 or so, maybe you can (bribe) donate to the church to give them an incentive to give you a wedding maybe an hour before one of their Saturday services?

We wanted a NYE wedding but ran into a lot of problems similar to yours. What sealed the deal was that every vendor wanted extra $ because they'd have to be working on NYE.  We're saving a lot of money by having it two weeks before.  Even our honeymoon is going to be cheaper, because of the cost of flying on or around NYE.  Anywho, I'm sure none of what I said helps directly, but know you're not alone!
  • Hi Sarah! My name is Jenna and I am getting married on 12/10/11, We are most definately encountering the same problem with churches. My fiancee really wants us to be married in a Catholic church, but we also want an evening wedding. With services at 4 or 5 p.m. on Sat. it seems to be the timing is just impossible. I am not sure what we are going to do yet. We do have the option of getting married at our reception site, a historic castle. Or I'm looking into maybe getting married at a non-denominational church and bringing in a a deacon or priest. i don't know, I just didn't think finding a church and timing it just right would be so difficult! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards