Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Philly ladies, has anyone had/attended a reception at the Buck Hotel?

Any input would be appreciated!  It is our front runner right now, but we are having trouble finding reviews.  The ones we have seen say good things but we want to get as much info as possible before making a decision!

Thaniks!

Re: Philly ladies, has anyone had/attended a reception at the Buck Hotel?

• edited December 2011
    Yes actually..
    The stage area is a bit small if you have a bigger band.  the dance floor is not huge, but if you're having under 125 you'll be fine (although I think they may have had a divider up that would connect it to another room for a larger group).  The food is good - not out of the world, not horrible - good.  The decor/room is nice, as is the set up of everything and the flow from cocktail hour to reception.  The bartenders are great - and the bar area is outside of the actual reception room which leads to a lot of people lingering outside of where the dancing is going on though.. 

Overall, I am not entirely sure how much they charge, so the cost vs quality would depend on me knowing that to give it an overall rating.  If I had to guess, I would say based on comparisons and what I thought of it, it should be around $100 per person for a Fri, maybe up to $120 for a Sat.. If it's more, I can think of places I've been to that were better for the same price range (ie Northampton Country Club).
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your input!  It sounds like you had a good time at the wedding, right?  Would the dance floor be too small for 180 people?  They are actually giving us a REALLY good price...less than $100 per head.  The other place I am looking at is totally different (the Manor at Commonwealth in Horsham) and more expensive.  I am trying to weigh it all out.  Thanks so much!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh for under $100 pp I would totally say it's worthwhile.. It was a good time, definitely.  Like I said, food was good, drinks were great (the staff is VERY nice), decor is nice.. etc.  And the other thing is after the wedding everyone can go next door for an after-party and not have to drive, which is really nice.  
  • edited December 2011
    Oh I forgot to answer about the dance floor / 180 pp.. I have a feeling the wedding I went to was around 150 people, and I think they only used 2 sections of the room and had the other area sectioned off.  If they opened it up the entire way, I think it could accomodate more.  It would make the dance floor a bit longer as opposed to wide, but I think it would be fine.  I would just make a point of asking them about that, and asking them to walk you through and show you where the dance floor would be.
  • edited December 2011
    What would you say is a comparable venue?  And, if you don't mind, was it a friend or family member that had theirs at the Buck?  Thanks SO MUCH! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I think some of the local country clubs are comparable.  I wouldnt compare it to anything in center city, or anything like Pen Ryn, Aldie etc.. I think those are a bit of a step higher mainly because of the grounds being so nice - The Buck unfortunately is in a shopping center and so that's a negative to me personally when comparing to somewhere like Pen Ryn.  I would maybe compare it to the Bensalem Country Club or Celebrations.   

It actually wasn't a friend or family member - I was the guest of a former co-worker.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I looked at Pen Ryn, which is very nice.  I live in Hatboro and my church is in Willow Grove, so I thought it might be too far for guests to travel.  My other choice is Commonwealth which is probably comparable to Pen Ryn, but it's in Horsham.  The menu is abbreviated there if I want to stay in budget.  I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciate your answer because it has been hard to get any feedback about it online.  Where did you have your wedding? 
  • edited December 2011
    I forgot to add that they said they would definitely take the divider down for our size reception and that both the rooms to the side would be available for the cocktail hour. 
  • edited December 2011
    My reception was at the Curtis Center Atrium by Cescaphe.   

I'm not at all familiar with the Manor at Commonwealth, so I can't give you a comparison, sorry!   I looked at their website and the packages seem similar, the only thing the Commonwealth seems to have are nicer grounds for photos.. So depending on how important the grounds are for you, figure out if it's worth the extra price?  

If you want to stay in the Willow Grove area.. Have you looked in Cairnwood at all?  It's gorgeous there, but I am not familiar w their pricing.  
  • edited December 2011
    Cairnwood is a great suggestions for the location.  What about Spring Mill?  I don't know the pricing, but its in Warminster and convenient for Hatboro/WG.  I haven't been to a wedding at Commonwealth, but I've been to the location a few times and its really nice.  Wedding pictures from that location always look great.  I've also been to a few weddings at Northampton Country Club in Richboro and they were both wonderful.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011

We looked at Spring Mill.  It was nice, but in our opinion doesn't have the character we are looking for.  Commonwealth and Buck both have a look we like...just two totally different places!  It's a hard call...I just don't want to go with the Buck if it has a crappy reputation or anything like that.  Cairnwood I think has off-site caterers but I could be wrong?  Thanks for your response!

• edited December 2011
    I would recommend Spring Mill, I am getting married there March 26 :)  It is within your budget as well. I am getting married in the off season and am under 115... so you might want to get married in March like me.

• edited December 2011
    The Buck doesnt have a bad reptutation, so if thats youre main concern - book it!  If you like everything else about it, go for it.  Like I said, the staff/management is nice, food is good, etc etc etc.   My only downside about them is location, which you seem to be fine with.  So it sounds like you made your decision, now go book it :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_philly-ladies-anyone-hadattended-reception-buck-hotel?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:a57c6a0e-bf6a-4173-b3b7-113645225d83Post:d8501118-85ba-499c-9b8c-23ac9700ceb0">Re: Philly ladies, has anyone had/attended a reception at the Buck Hotel?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We looked at Spring Mill.  It was nice, but in our opinion doesn't have the character we are looking for.  Commonwealth and Buck both have a look we like...just two totally different places!  It's a hard call...I just don't want to go with the Buck if it has a crappy reputation or anything like that.  Cairnwood I think has off-site caterers but I could be wrong?  Thanks for your response!
    Posted by meghand822[/QUOTE]

Opps, I must have posted at the same time as you. But i have never heard anything bad about The Buck, so go for it! Book it!!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks to all for your input, it has been very helpful!  I am going to sleep on it.  :)  And feel free to make any other comments about the Buck!  I want to know as much as possible.  THANK YOU!!
  • edited December 2011
    I still need help!!  :(  So indecisive...
  • edited December 2011
    Have you tried writing a pro/con list?  What are your hangups?  You love the Buck, so what is holding you back from going forward?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I have made pro-con lists!  They seem to have even pros and cons to me.  The sticking point has been the fact that the Buck doesn't have grounds.  Plus, reviews of the Commonwealth say really, really good things.  But the ballroom in the Buck is amazing, and I love the cocktail area.  Commonwealth is closer to the church, but the Buck isn't far...I am so indecisive!  Did anyone else have this problem?  Thanks, Cara, for responding!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks to all for your comments!  Btw, I went with the Buck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards