Snarky Brides

Cobalt Wedding Bands

Does anyone have one? Or your H's? H lost his wedding band and we would like to get him a new one. The one that he originally had isn't available anymore and it was gold so it scratched really easily. I have heard that cobalt doesn't usually scratch. Does anyone have any personal experience with this?

Re: Cobalt Wedding Bands

• My H has one.  It is a hammered look style, but he spins it on tables, drops it, takes it off and plays with it, and it doesn't have a scratch on it.  It's indestructible as far as I can tell.
  • reilsreils member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for the info! 

We are looking at something like this:
    It might be more susceptible to scratching because it is a smooth finish but if it is better that his gold one then I will be happy. 
  • H's band is from a line by Scott Kay.
  • Cobalt is good, definitely more scratch resistant than gold. Look into tungsten carbide too if he likes the alternative metals, that is the most durable out of all of them.
  • Adam has a tungsten ring, which is really nice but is way too big on him now (he almost lost it outside in the driveway at night on sunday). That said, he loves the weight of it and its a really beautiful ring. If he doesnt expect his weight to fluctuate its a great option.
  • Scotts ring is black ceramic and hasn't scratched at all, and he is always banging it against things. I've also heard tungsten is awesome
  • LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Tim's ring is tungsten carbide. He loves the ring and there isn't a scratch on it. We got it on over overstock.com
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I got my fiance a tungsten ring for his birthday one year and he was allergic to it. Apparently tungsten contains a certain amount of nickel, which a lot of people have trouble with. He thought he'd like tungsten because it's next to impossible to scratch. The jeweler said that cobalt was just a next generation tungsten. It has similar indestructible qualities but contains no nickel or metals that are known to cause skin reactions. The color is also a bit lighter so it's closer to white gold in appearance.
  • Ditto PPs, my H has a tungsten ring and it is unscratchable.

There was a deal a while ago on http://www.jvljewelry.com/ to get a free tungsten band, I think the coupon code was "BRIDES".  You just paid shipping ($25) and the ring was free.

I ordered one for my H as a backup ring in case he breaks/loses his original tungsten one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards