South Carolina-Charleston

restaurant recomendation?

hi ladies. visiting seattle-nestie here.

my h is headed down to charlston for work next week...he'll be working by the airport, staying downtown. he's there for two weeks, and we could use some restaurant recs. he'll have a car, so anywhere within reasonable driving range is good. he has a $75/meal budget..so anything at or below that would be great.

i'm visiting him one of the weeknds when he is there..so i'll get one full friday to play by myself nearby the hotel (charlston place) w/o a car. any recs for me to sightsee?

thanks!
♥ bfp2 02/15/2012 ♥ edd 10/23/2013 ♥
♥ bfp1 06/14/2011 ♥ edd 02/22/2012 ♥
♥ baby jennlin born on 02/15/2012 ♥

who says you can only wear your wedding dress once?

honeymoon biomarried bioplanning bio
jumped ship to the new and improved nest. back to TB for baby boards.

Re: restaurant recomendation?

• edited December 2011
    Charleston is the BEST walking town in my opinion and there is plenty to see. You can get a walking guide just about anywhere and your hotel is right downtown in the heart of everything.

There are plenty of restuarants in many price ranges. One we also eat at for breakfast/lunch (they dont serve dinner) is Josephs. I always suggest Tristans, but they are high end, so maybe a fancy dinner when you arrive? McCrady's, S.N.O.B, are also nice.

Also ask your concierge for recommendations. They will be very helpful and you can pick up a carriage ride if you want a guided tour. We'll be there in a week, cant wait.

Have fun! I'm sure a lot of the girls here have even more recs.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • katydid2014katydid2014 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Unfortunately, Joseph's is closed now, but your hotel is literally right between the Market and King St. so any direction you leave your hotel, you can walk right to everything.  I'd recommend Cru Cafe for lunch, Fleet Landing for a unique dining experience on the water, Carolina's for a romantic dinner (this will cost you more than $75 though).  Poogan's Porch for brunch is amazing, and also lunch or dinner. 

Just please please please STAY AWAY from Hymans, Crabshack, and Bubba Gumps.  These are tacky tourist traps with horrible food. 

The Pink Pig (formerly Jim N Nicks) on King St has really good BBQ, Taziki's has really a good and affordable lunch menu and they are also on King (mediterranean and Greek food).

There is another good breakfast place across Market St from your hotel called Sweetwater Cafe, and if you want some AMAZING southern home cooking, then walk a couple blocks north on Meeting to Jestine's Kitchen.  Make sure to get there early though for lunch (like before 11:30) or you will have to wait out in the sun for a table.  They are also open for dinner.

And if you walk down North Market St, you will find where all the horse carriage tours depart and I would recommend one.  They are very informative and a fun way to see the city.  Also our favorite bar Henry's is right nearby.

Being from Seattle, if you have never been here before be prepared for the heat/humidity and afternoon thunderstorms!  The storms can pop up out of nowhere and be sunny again an hour later. 
  • edited December 2011
    Just read that Katie! Really sad, we ate there every visit.
  • jennlinjennlin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the info ladies! i'm really excited. it will be both of our first times in SC (his first time anywhere on the east coast!).  the carriage ride sounds fun. how much does something like that run?

what i "know" of sc, is that it has amazing beaches. any specific beach i should visit?

• edited December 2011
    Well Folly Beach is about 30 minutes south. Isle of Palm has a great beach also, just make sure you pay the parking fee. When we rented a house there we could watch the cops ticket people left and right.

And both of these are within a short drive.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-map-191502003-map_of_charleston_sc-i
  • edited December 2011
    And I love these maps, you will find them when you get there. But you can get an idea of how things are laid out.

http://www.resortmaps.com/maps/charleston_south_carolina_map/maps_alive_file.html
    edited December 2011
    My favorite beach is Sullivan's, which is south of Isle of Palms.  It is a lot less touristy and has some great places to eat, the best of which is Poe's.  They have fantastic hamburgers!  But the only beach that allows alchohol is Folly, which is why a lot of people (specically college aged) go there.  No cans or glass allowed though, so make sure to bring cups to use.  They ticket a lot there if they catch you with something other than a cup.  And if you park on the side streets at Folly, you must have all four tires completely OFF of the pavement, or they will ticket you for that also.  You can always park in the pay lots at the public access though if you can find a spot.
    edited December 2011
    Oh and here is a link to a coupon for the carriage rides: http://www.campusspecial.com/college-of-charleston/business/classic-carriage-works-llc

That website also has a lot of coupons for places to eat downtown, and other businesses too like Green Taxi.
  • edited December 2011
    @katiewest....we are interested in having our rehearsal dinner at the Sweetwater cafe in Summerville. It's resonably close to our venue & they have a private room.  If you could give me more into that would be great! I've seen some not so good reviews online.  We live in NY so we haven't ever eaten there.

Thanks!
    edited December 2011
    If the Sweetwater cafe in Summerville is owned/operated by the same one as in downtown Charleston, then the food should be good.  I have only ever had breakfast there but it is always very delicious!
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance & I just got back from Charleston (we got engaged there). We had a great time and ate some great food.

- For breakfast, Toast was really good with big portions & reasonable prices.
    - We had a perfect, romantic, every bite was amazing meal at Peninsula Grill (might be worth just getting drinks & dessert if you don't want to splurge).
    - Social was a trendy tapas/pizza restaurant with great (cheap) food and wine. 
    - We made the drive out to Poe's Tavern & food was delish- bacon bleu cheese coleslaw yum
    - The Vendue Inn has a cool rooftop bar with appetizers.
    - One day we went to the 24 hour Harris Teeter grocery store & packed a picnic. The Battery & Waterfront park would be perfect for that.

There were so many awesome looking menus, I can't wait to go back. I agree that you should stay away from the touristy places. Pretty much every street had a dozen great restaurants. Have so much fun!

• edited December 2011
    OH! and you're hotel is right by lots of things. Plus, the trolley is free & easy to manage & you could hop on to go to museums, the aquarium, the ferry to Ft. Sumter, etc. I could have stayed on King St. & shopped for a whole day too :p 
  • jennlinjennlin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank you very much for the input ladies! and super-thank-you to katie for the carriage ride coupon!

keep the ideas coming if you think of anything else. h leaves in 2 days, and i'll be down there next thurs!

• edited December 2011
    I love Poe's as well.  Definitely not the touristy feeling at all.  Plus, the beach being right there is pretty romantic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards